ramps

Soldato
So I got some metal ramps that are literally like 30+ years old, probably older.

They are thin, and steep, and whilst I can just about do the Mrs Firsta with them, I scratched the under of the front bumper last time.

I wont even attempt my Volvo on them as the tyes will be a fair bit wider than the ramp.

Looking around I spotted extra wide plastic ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-SUPER...rentrq:03beec171710ad4c362116b5ffd37538|iid:1

Reckon I'd have enough cllearance under? They raise the front 17cm only, I am trying to figure out if that + the natural clearnace the car provides would be enough. They look ideal as they are a lot less steep, nice and wide and should be nice an stable.

Soldato
I have a set of Rhino Ramps which I used to use on my M3. No issues with them as they are rated to 5 tonne. I would definitely stay away from the cheaper copies online as you never know if they have actually been tested.

I no longer use them as I've upgraded to a set of QuickJack lifts. Need to stick the Rhino Ramps on eBay.

Associate
I've got a set of ramps just like you've described. No issues using wider tyres. Only used on the rear though, I don't think the front would've had enough clearance to get up.

Soldato
I spent ages last year looking for a reasonable set of ramps that had decent width to them. Nigh on everything that appears on Fleabay are only good up to 195 tyre width. Bizarrely, the widest, best made I could find was Halfords (I know who'd have thought it) they are 240mm wide, 245 at a push as the side rails are also lower than most. They feel pretty sturdy and well made. They are worth a look.

Soldato
Not what you're after but i just made my own out of wood, i had a lot of scraps of wood left over at one stage so just sawed them at an angle and screwed a few together so you can make it as wide or tall as you wish.

The down side is they're heavy and don't break down into smaller bits to store but i've made mine so i've got just enough clearance to do an oil change so it saves me a lot of time not faffing with jacking up and using axle stands.

Soldato
OP
Yea it's just for servicing, oil change mainly.

Easier then putting it up on jacks.

I might take a look in Halfords, well, if it's still open......

Although, I do have a load of old fence posts...... The self made suggestion.

Hmmmmmmm.

Thanks guys.

Edit: anyone suggest or link from eBay some screws that I could use to screw fence posts together?

I could borrow a sabre saw to cut them to shape.

Soldato
Most Halfords tools are good quality stuff. Just don't let them touch your car :p
They aren't too bad nowadays, quality of the professional stuff is not bad for DIY. Especially if you can catch em when they are doing their 50% off offers, or can drop on a voucher. That said, many years ago I bought a cheapo Halfords bottle jack, you could jack it up and before you'd got your tools out the car was back on the ground..LOL.

Back
Top Bottom