F1 Esports on Sky

Man of Honour
That was utterly hilarious ! Dont know if anyone else on here watched that, basically Sky Sports are doing a virtual F1 season live. The first race was on tv tonight and has just finished, was great fun. All the drivers are either former racing drivers (Johnny Herbert, Nico Hulkenberg etc) or current racing drivers, mixed in with some "celebrity" streamers and some other celebrities (Liam Payne , Chris Foy etc). Looking forward to watching the 2nd race of the season lol

Soldato
That was utterly hilarious ! Dont know if anyone else on here watched that, basically Sky Sports are doing a virtual F1 season live. The first race was on tv tonight and has just finished, was great fun. All the drivers are either former racing drivers (Johnny Herbert, Nico Hulkenberg etc) or current racing drivers, mixed in with some "celebrity" streamers and some other celebrities (Liam Payne , Chris Foy etc). Looking forward to watching the 2nd race of the season lol

Is ironic when F1 virtual race with (ex)professional drivers is more entertaining than the real thing. :D

And the highlights of the race if someone is interested.

Associate
Thought it was a bit amateurish myself, the delay to the race start was getting tedious to say the least. I help run a games server, we don't use F1 2019 but AC, ACC, RRE, GTL etc. but if we had that sort of delay everyone would leave and look elsewhere for their multiplayer online fix. Be nice if they could do proper TV style coverage with replays etc.

Man of Honour
OP
Thought it was a bit amateurish myself, the delay to the race start was getting tedious to say the least. I help run a games server, we don't use F1 2019 but AC, ACC, RRE, GTL etc. but if we had that sort of delay everyone would leave and look elsewhere for their multiplayer online fix. Be nice if they could do proper TV style coverage with replays etc.

I'm pretty sure that the delay was so that Lando and Broadbent could manage to get connected, both seemed to have had connection issues throughout the qualifying. Like they said on the show though, this was "effectively a beta" so I'm ok with the issues they had last night, will see if they have learned from the next time round, that will be the key.

Man of Honour
OP
Is ironic when F1 virtual race with (ex)professional drivers is more entertaining than the real thing. :D

Lol indeed ! I used to be hugely into F1, back in the Prost/Senna days, but these days I find F1 so utterly dull, tedious and devoid of almost anything exciting. Actually found this show last night far more entertaining :)

Ree

Ree

Associate
watched jimmy's stream was surprised max wasn't in it usually him and lando are racing (in game) together a lot.

Associate
watched jimmy's stream was surprised max wasn't in it usually him and lando are racing (in game) together a lot.

There have been a few other organised races, and I think Max may have been in one of them. Can't remember the names of the channels hosting them off the top of my head but I found out about it from Twitter.

I agree about the lack of replays. I recorded last night's and fast forwarded through the down time so it wasn't so bad but I'll probably just watch a highlight video plus some individual perspectives for most of the rest if I can't catch it live. Definitely a good idea to fill the gap but it's a bit fragmented at the moment with different hosted races. Early days though. Good on them for trying!

Associate
I assumed the team in the background were the same as ran the eSport F1 races that have been ongoing for the last couple of years. As for the race delay I'm sure an F1 driver who's car fails to get off the line on the formation lap in real life would be more than happy that they delayed the start so the team could sort him out. I was also dismayed that they were allowed assists, that if the driver lost connection their car became a ghost car and it could drive through, or be driven through, by the other cars. I was expecting something at the pinnacle of sim racing, the equivalent of real life F1 being the best of motor sport. Silly me :rolleyes:

I believe Lando and Max do a lot of iRacing but I to half expected to see Max on the grid.

TBH I thought it devalued online motor racing and made it look a bit of a joke.

Soldato
Max didn't want to play F1 2019 as he would have to learn the game's handling, he races in The-Race's one I think.

On the face of it it seems like a good idea, just not with this game and the whole thing seemed to be poorly put together, maybe it'll improve.

Soldato
I watched Lando on Twitch. He seemed to have a right good laugh with it until his game crashed at the start. I laughed so much when he phoned George Russell and asked for tips when starting at the back.
The racing on it's own was trash but then that was a given considering who was taking part and it was only a bit of a laugh anyway. Jimmer and Lando had a nice little battle though.

Soldato
Lando is a breath of fresh air in the paddock. He and those around him are everything F1 needs to breath life into an otherwise old blokes smoking club.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but the one linked above showed F1 how they should have approached it. A full field of real drivers with real car liveries on a sim with a game set up for proper broadcasts. The only concession they made for entertainment was to allow a couple of car resets to repair damage.

It goes to show how out of touch F1 is by signing exclusive licenses with Codemasters. It's an approach that greatly harmed the racing game community back in the early-2000s and it's sad that they're still making the same mistakes 20 years later.

If they were intent on racing the "Bahrain Virtual Grand Prix" then it should have been as close to the standard they could get, with the best drivers they could get. I realise the likes of Vettel, Raikkonen and Hamilton wouldn't be interested, but there are plenty of Formula E, GP2, endurance, GT and W-Series drivers who would probably jump at the chance to take part. At least Sir Chris Hoy is a real life racer and not just a retired track cyclist.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom