MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

Soldato
Okay am curious this board is very highly recommend here and I'm just wondering why?

I'll be honest my experience of msi products isn't great, is it due to this having better cooling than most other ryzen boards?

As a comparison I was looking at a Gigabyte B450 Autos Elite.

The gigabyte has a longer warranty than the msi as well but it's cooling isn't as good

Soldato
Its VRM is at least step above pretty much all non-MSI B450 boards and two steps above majority.
Put 100W CPU like 2700X/3900X into Asus or Gigabyte B450 and start something fully multithreaded like video encoding and scam level VRM of those will be soon baking from alive.

Soldato
Would you take the B450 over the X570 if you weren't on a budget?
Pre-X570 AM4 chipsets use 13 years old PCIe v2.
Just as example of PCIe v4's performance 10Gbit NIC could be put into x1 slot basically using only half of its bandwidth.
That one lane would also give lots of bandwidth for even NVMe drive.

Not every product by a manufacturer is great or terrible, so using past experiences to judge all the products is part of the issue.
Correction:
Like Buildzoid said in one video, basically every maker sucks and try to start scamming if people buy brand.

Associate
Okay am curious this board is very highly recommend here and I'm just wondering why?

I'll be honest my experience of msi products isn't great, is it due to this having better cooling than most other ryzen boards?

The gigabyte has a longer warranty than the msi as well but it's cooling isn't as good

Hi, MSI motherboards have 36 months warranty, unless I'm not mistaken it is the same as Gigabyte's.

Associate
I can confirm both motherboard and graphics cards has 36 months warranty, starting with the purchase date. Could you please share some screenshots showing only 12 months of warranty?

My Motherboard isn't showing in the my warranty page on the msi site on my phone I'll have a look when I get home, but when I registered it, it said it ends 2021 but if it's 36 months that awesome.

Edit: It mite off been on the msi app/dragon centre can't remember if I used that to register or the site.

Last edited:
Soldato

It's cheap, good enough, and - along with the Mortar MAX - is pre-flashed to support the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs. There are still tales of woe about other B450 boards not liking Ryzen 3000s. The only real advantage of the X570 chipset is PCIe v4 and there's very little need for that right now in OCUK's market segment. PCIe v3 NVME drives are still blazingly fast, and even a RTX 2080 Ti cannot saturate the PCIe v3 bus. This will change once the next round of GPUs arrive.

And AMD have been tardy in releasing B550 motherboards.

Soldato
i picked it because it was pretty much the only contender that was solid and priced cheap, i heard the vrm performance was one of the best for a b450 board and should do good for some years, i only have a 3600 in it at moment and i was not a fan of it's onboard sound compared to my old g1.sniper z170 board, so i bought a creative sound blaster z and i could not be happier with the build.

it has enough usb ports for me as i tend to use the case ones on the front a lot so easy to plug stuff in or out, no interest in wifi as its wired. suits my needs perfect :)

edit: my radeon 5700 says pcie 4 on the box, yeh thats just marketing at the moment for gpu's :p

Soldato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGY2mqTn2rc

Back
Top Bottom