• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vega unlocking worth it?

Permabanned
OP
I've heard that the way to go with these is to undervolt them. I think there's a guide on here somewhere.
There are loads of guides on the tube if you can’t find the one on here.

Yep just had a look and it look like thats is the way to go, looks like trying to unlock put more voltage in and the GPU just hits the temp wall so much faster.
Thanks guys

Permabanned
OP
This helped me a lot and was a good starting point when I got my Vega 56 earlier this month.
GPU freq P6/P7 = 1567/1637
GPU mV P6/P7 = 1000/1075 (you might get P7 to as low as 1025 but this wasnt reliable for me)
Power limit = 15% (going above this gives diminishing returns in terms of frames per W so how high you go will depend on whether efficiency or raw power is your objective)
VRAM freq = 980 (mileage will vary with this depending on whether Samsung or Hynix HBM2, 950 MHz should be achievable. Note that although the VRAM mV appears to allow changes it doesnt actually change as is locked by the card bios)
Max fan speed = 60% (keeps max RPM around 1900)

that's an interesting post, the info i had seen was flashing an 64 bios even if you didn't get a core unlock gave extra power to ram giving upto 1,150mhz but the extra all round heat out crippled the core Mhz's

what sort of gaming temps do you see and is there any throttleing?
if you can under volt and still overclock, with the added 0.01v on the memory you can only get from the 64's bios be a good thang? as you could still under volt the core for overclocking

Soldato
that's an interesting post, the info i had seen was flashing an 64 bios even if you didn't get a core unlock gave extra power to ram giving upto 1,150mhz but the extra all round heat out crippled the core Mhz's

what sort of gaming temps do you see and is there any throttleing?
if you can under volt and still overclock, with the added 0.01v on the memory you can only get from the 64's bios be a good thang? as you could still under volt the core for overclocking

The above is without flashing a 64 bios. It's purely an undervolt & overclock on the GPU and an overclock on the VRAM (HBM voltage is fixed, ignore the adjustment sliders in Wattman. Use GPUZ to see what HBM you have. Samsung will clock higher than Hynix). I have Samsung and run it at 950MHz.

I saw no higher than 65C (60C now I've added a case fan beside the card) and get no throttling.

Edit: also, if you do plan on flashing a 64 bios, go carefully. Only do it if you have Samsung HBM, and do your research - the Pulse is a nano card with no 64 brother to steal a bios from.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
The above is without flashing a 64 bios
yes i did see that
HBM voltage is fixed, ignore the adjustment sliders in Wattman
yes viltage is fixed to 1.2v but he 64 and a fixed voltage is 1.3v
the Pulse is a nano card with no 64 brother to steal a bios from.
buildzoid said all....(mmmmm) 64 bios's work and all 56 cards he had tested. i do have a bios switch
he also said he fould the added 0.01v on memory let all 56 GPU to clock memory to 1100 with the best hitting 1150.
he also went onto say, GPU clocking only gave a 3% gain in FPS but memory overclock gave a 5% gain but i dont know if that is a day to day gain or just bench

Soldato
yes i did see that

yes viltage is fixed to 1.2v but he 64 and a fixed voltage is 1.3v

buildzoid said all....(mmmmm) 64 bios's work and all 56 cards he had tested. i do have a bios switch
he also said he fould the added 0.01v on memory let all 56 GPU to clock memory to 1100 with the best hitting 1150.
he also went onto say, GPU clocking only gave a 3% gain in FPS but memory overclock gave a 5% gain but i dont know if that is a day to day gain or just bench

Make sure by "all Vega 56 cards" he means nano cards as well.

The info I read said that flashing with a 64 bios was a bad idea if your 56 has Hynix HBM.

Why not have a play without flashing first? And check what HBM you have.

Soldato
The main reason you want to flash the bios is because you can't raise HBM voltage otherwise, so if your particular GPU had actually a good sample of HBM you wouldn't be able to make most use of it otherwise. Anything else can be done with powerplay tables.

Generally if you can get to 1050 Mhz on the HBM then that's good. After that there's very little chance of more & the scaling is meagre, i.e. don't waste your time; bag the 1050 and game happy. Make sure to test for stability in various games, as OCs can be very deceiving - I had no issue until I ran Odyssey then I had to dial it back now it's rock solid. So if you use something like 3DMark don't assume stability there will hold in real world scenarios. As for core it's mostly gonna depend on your ability to tolerate the fan noise. Since you want to put an AIO on it you can probably push it to 1700 mhz (real clock) but don't be too sad if you sustain around 1650 mhz either. The performance difference is again going to be minor. And also, the sweet spot is around 1600 mhz. As you push past that you're gonna sky-rocket the power draw required.

Lastly, no V56 isn't better than V64 but the difference is negligible because no game ever properly uses the full potential of a Vega card anyway, so it comes down to silicon lottery. If you want to make the most use of your Vega then the best way to do that is to push higher resolutions, since that actually does use it better. And finally, voltage behaviour is different at 4K compared to below 4K, so the OC settings won't translate across resolutions exactly.

Soldato
Thanks for the info. I will pay with stock bios to see what I get.

My monitor is 100hz 1440. I was just hoping to get closer to 100fps without turning things down.

You can do it, it depends on the game really. I'd honestly think in situations where game is not super GPU-heavy it's the CPU that's gonna hold you back more from getting >100 fps rather than the Vega.

Soldato
As said above flashing to a V64 bios will only allow higher HBM clocks. Though in I'm experience I found that higher HBM clocks actually gave more performance gain than core clocks. With stock bios the max clock I could get from my HBM was around 940mhz. With 64 bios it runs at 1100mhz. Flash the bios, underclock the core and game happy :cool:

Permabanned
OP
i cant flash my bios, it rejects ever bios i try to flash with error "sub system id mismatch"

on a side note i order an AIO cooler for the GPU as i was told they run dirty hot... like stupid hot....
Well am i missing something? in a very badly ventilated case gaming Squads @ 1440p 100hz i hit a massive 65c. with card at around 1500mhz core.
the fan comes on and off ever 60ish seconds.

this is stock cooler without under volting

Soldato
@MaXxBoulton Did you end up getting the Pulse or reference model? Remember, the stock tdp is only 210w, it's really not too bad and the Vega cards are very well engineered with their PCBs. The real issue is less temps and more-so the noise depending on the model and their fan curves, not to mention silicon luck & also assembly luck (mounting pressure & evenness & package molded).

Back
Top Bottom