Fans ramp up on start up

Associate
Well managed to get around to building my boys computer earlier this week,
i updated to the latest bios on the motherboard and for some reason when i first boot the fans spin like crazy for 1 second then everything works fine?
did do a little googling and people have had similar problems.
the only thing whats different then on my pc is i put a ryzen 5 3600 in his and mines got the 2600.
some people are saying the problems came about when upgrading their ryzen cpu and didn't have the fan ramp up with the earlier cpu?

interested to see if anyone can help me with this as its a bit annoying for him and me lol.
apart from that everything works perfect and came out a nice build.

Soldato
Whats the motherboard? x570's have a noisy chipset fan not sure about x470's seems to be a design flaw. I have a 570 and it does the same. I think some people have said changing the power profile in the BIOS can lessen it doesn't seem to make much difference in my experience.

edit: unless you mean the gfx card/cpu fans go crazy on startup, yep got that too. If anyones got a solution I havn't heard of it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just been reading over on reddit, this is happening to tons of people.
Amd are not even getting back to people about it lol also i updated to the latest bios prior to putting winodws on it.

Associate
It might be something to do with automatic bios fan speed linked to the cpu temperature, and there being a delay on boot before it adjusts the pwm fans slower lowering the voltage. Does it do it on all of your case fans or just the cpu fan headers?

I don't actually know though. I ordered the same motherboard today so its interesting, and I hope a solution is found.

Man of Honour
Pretty sure this has happened on almost all of my builds although it's been years since I've had a desktop, makes sense that the initial power provided is full power until the BIOS actually kicks in and regulates according to temp/fan profiles.

Associate
It's normal. The fans will get a default full voltage until the system specifically tells them to spin at something otherwise, which takes a second for the bios to reach when starting cold.

Mine does the same from a cold boot, but from suspend it doesn't seem to do it.

It's really no big deal.

Soldato
Same here, soon as I hit the power button, a few seconds my fans ramp right up then die down again.

Everything working flawlessly!

Associate
what you dropping in it a ryzen? also what Gpu are you going to use interested to see

Yeah a 3600 to overclock.
I have an old 290x lightning and am going to keep that for now (possibly all year) as the prices up high for gpus sort of like how it was with the crypto mining demand a year or two ago. Once corona levels off I am thinking of something like a cheaper 1060, or a 590x to stay amd, not that its any advantage amd cpu + gpu but more for prices/performance.

Oh right this fast fan startup may be no real issue then if others have it :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup my Gigabyte mobo does this, although it seems kinda random. Usually it does a few seconds blast, other times it does some sort of the mega blast that sounds like a Boeing 777 spooling up for take off. I half expect to see chips come flying out the exhaust fan :eek:

Back
Top Bottom