Star Trek TOS

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I've grown to love the first movie, especially when the DC came out, it improved the movie no end for me.

I always liked TMP. There were some great ideas in that film. And as you say, the DC does improve it considerably - tighter pacing, better sound mix, fixing some of the visual issues (including the horrendous sky, or lack thereof, on Vulcan!)...

Man of Honour
I remember TOS from my childhood. I grew up with it and so it's very special to me. But I agree that it has started to age somewhat in its story lines and attitudes. But back then it was actually considered a very progressive programme. It was renowned at the time for the first interracial kiss - Kirk and Uhura (which is why Spock and Uhura get it on in the recent films to indicate the different timeline). Although it now seems there were a few other such kisses before it, it was certainly a brave thing to do.

Soldato
The first season of TNG has some story lines that are "from another era", never mind TOS!

I can only watch TOS for comedy value these days. It's almost like watching the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Associate
Ahahaha TNG ... ohh dear, yes they had some real shockers in the first season or so - thing is it became massively better as time went on. The period this turned around was marked by Rikers beard.

Folk need to remember that the Startrek franchise has chucked up some right stinkers so all the hate of Disco and Picard seem a bit... premature.

Soldato
Disco was because of the attitude and agenda going into it. Instead of focusing on story and setting it was more worried about how woke it was.

Picard was fine, if a little... flat? At least until the last 2-3 episodes.

Soldato
OP
Saw Seed of space epsidoes today which I immediately recognised as the prequel to the Wrath of Kahn. Was a good episode, the series is starting to gain a bit of pace near the end of season 1

Soldato
The problem with Discovery was such an unlikeable and annoying lead and frankly a **** poor actress.

Which is because of the wokeness. They didn't care about character development or acting ability. Just that she was a strong black female Mary-Sue, everything around her was lazy and boring and most of her scenes were eye-rolling. So much so that Captian Pike utterly stole the entire Season 2 to the point where I was begging for the show to follow Pike on the Enterprise when they left! I was literary saying in my head "Wait! don't leave me here with them! Take me with you!!!" :D

Soldato
As a big fan of TNG, DS9 and Voyager, but never having watch TOS and having far more time on my hands than I'd like atm,i thought I'd give it a go.

Whilst it's OK so far. Only 3/4 through the first series, 90% of those just being about Kirk fighting someone or other, but also I cant help but see how incredibly sexist / chauvinistic the whole series is. Obviously compared to today's standards, it does show how much we've changed.
All the men grope the women and stop them being emotional continuously, whilst they're dressed in some seriously revealing stuff for the day and age. Can't complain, some gorgeous women.

The story lines are a bit ridiculous but hilarious in most cases, with some serious overuse of letterbox lighting and makeup on the face.

I'm not sure so far how people rate it higher than TNG, but I'm persevering.
Does it get better?

Its the stories. They're a mixed bag but they're diverse and imaginative for the most part with some real classics such as City on the edge of Forever or Galileo Seven. Its episodic because thats how TV was back then. If you just concentrate on whether its PC (or not) or the quality of the sets or makeup or... you're really missing the point. Though it can be hard to overlook when you're used to modern FX.

You should, because there are some brilliant episodes in there and some great ideas. Some absolute trash as well, mind ("Spock's Brain"...*shudder*).

Lol I liked that one... well parts of it anyway I first saw it as a kid and it both terrified and fascinated me at the same time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom