Holidays 2020

Man of Honour
The reality though, is that if you make it too easy to get a refund, everyone will take that instead of a voucher and many airlines will cease to exist. It's frustrating, but you should be thankful that they're not fighting against a refund completely - many still are.
This is BA we're talking about, not a small carrier by any means. And they legally cannot fight the refund, they cancelled the flight so they are not fulfilling their side of the contract.

Soldato
This is BA we're talking about, not a small carrier by any means. And they legally cannot fight the refund, they cancelled the flight so they are not fulfilling their side of the contract.
They're an airline that can't fly anywhere - they're still at risk.

Agree they can't legally fight it, but they can make it hard so it's delayed over a longer period of time. Also for some, they'll be happy with a voucher.

The process is frustrating but just be thankful that they're getting you a refund. There are many providers that are flat out refusing. Wether they can legally do that or not remains to be seen but either way - that would be even more frustrating.

Commissario
AirBnB have been brilliant from everything I've heard. Super easy, no arguments for a full refund.
Yup I had a refund from them for the stag do in Prague in March, after the host was initially a douche and said no to me. Just hoping that AirBnB can step in for this one in June.

Soldato
I've got a holiday booked for early June with the final balance due in a weeks time. I fully expect to not go, but it looks like BA will happily take my money and then I'll have to fight to get it back. Or I cancel now and lose £300 deposit, which I'm not keen on either. Anybody in the same boat? I'm resigned to the fact I'll have to pay the full amount for now and battle but if anyone has any other advice I'm all ears. I saw Jet 2 have cancelled up to 17th June.

Soldato
I've got a holiday booked for early June with the final balance due in a weeks time. I fully expect to not go, but it looks like BA will happily take my money and then I'll have to fight to get it back. Or I cancel now and lose £300 deposit, which I'm not keen on either. Anybody in the same boat? I'm resigned to the fact I'll have to pay the full amount for now and battle but if anyone has any other advice I'm all ears. I saw Jet 2 have cancelled up to 17th June.

I'm in exactly the same position, I decided to lose the £350 deposit in the end. I’m not risking the other £5k. My thinking is that although the holiday is ATOL protected, it is a contributory fund through a percentage of sales which has a finite pot. If everyone is drawing on that pot, who’s to say in these extraordinary times that fund could end up spent and you would be fighting for your money.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm in exactly the same position, I decided to lose the £350 deposit in the end. I’m not risking the other £5k. My thinking is that although the holiday is ATOL protected, it is a contributory fund through a percentage of sales which has a finite pot. If everyone is drawing on that pot, who’s to say in these extraordinary times that fund could end up spent and you would be fighting for your money.
Thanks Bear, if I was in your position I'd do the same, that's a fair chunk of cash. Ours is only £2k and I'm currently planning to put it all on the credit card in case things need to get fighty.

Soldato
Tui are letting you change of your due to depart before 30/06/20 now

Indeed, however when I tried to move our June 2020 holiday to June 2021 & the additional cost is £150PP
Flight times are also no where near as good for us either. Also tried to move to dates between September-December 2020 & additional costs varied from £90PP to £200PP

I'm planning on just waiting till the end of May as I fully expect the holiday to be cancelled, so then we'll just claim the full amount back & re-book when things are back to normal.

Soldato
Indeed, however when I tried to move our June 2020 holiday to June 2021 & the additional cost is £150PP
Flight times are also no where near as good for us either. Also tried to move to dates between September-December 2020 & additional costs varied from £90PP to £200PP

I'm planning on just waiting till the end of May as I fully expect the holiday to be cancelled, so then we'll just claim the full amount back & re-book when things are back to normal.

Yeah I hadn't thought about that when changing ours. Noticed the prices have gone up for later in the year. Not that I'm cynical. Think we paid £80pp to move.

Soldato
Still trying to get a refund for 12 Sleazy jet flights booked over the next three months , weddings , stags and hens ect. Abta approved or not I will do my best to get a refund.

Anyone being happy with vouchers or change of flights is bonkers same for any package holidays booked , lots of travel companies will be going to the wall , the majority live hand to mouth so do not hold cash . When lots of them go to the receivers ( and they will ) good luck getting your money back.

In addition to,this when we get back to normality prices will go through the roof , holidays and travel will not be the same again for a very long time .

Man of Honour
I've got a hotel booked in Italy next month, via Booking dot com. It was a no cancellation policy and this morning I had an email from BA saying my flight has been cancelled. I've spoke to both the hotel and booking dot com, neither are playing ball. Where do I stand? The only saving grace is that the credit card used to secure the booking is no longer valid.

Soldato
I've got a hotel booked in Italy next month, via Booking dot com. It was a no cancellation policy and this morning I had an email from BA saying my flight has been cancelled. I've spoke to both the hotel and booking dot com, neither are playing ball. Where do I stand? The only saving grace is that the credit card used to secure the booking is no longer valid.
Travel Insurance?

Has the hotel stated that they won't be able to house you?

Back
Top Bottom