20 yrs a pc gamer. Is it time to switch.

Associate
Got a ps4 and I'm currently on the fence on whether to say goodbye to pc gaming and switch to console and get ps5 or stick with it and upgrade my pc.

I built my pc 4 years ago and it cost a chunky lump and before you know it here we are again. Life is so busy at the moment so I am really considering getting a ps5 end of the year.

Can you play games with mouse and keyboard on ps4/5?
Thsi is how far out of it I am with console.

Any other perks to console or things to consider?

Appreciate any feedback especially if any of you dabble with both.
Thanks

Soldato
Same situation as you only ever been pc gamer from around 1997 when I was obsessed with quake for years. I briefly owned a PS3 but gave it away.
My desktop pc gave up the ghost a few months ago but my laptop can play 95% of the games in my steam library so I have been using that.

My life is very different now with wife and kids,o that's has autism so the time to spend in gaming is pretty slim!! To say the least , I picked up an xbox-s game pass a month ago and really enjoying it, I am pretty sure I will pick up next gen console as the cost of rebuilding a decent pc is not something I can justify when I have so much more I can do with the money.

The other thing is I get really bad pain in my hands from cos gaming after a while, which I blame on the days I spent playing quake. Lol

Associate
OP
Yea eveything seems quite pricy and if I want to upgrade I need it to last a number of years, ideally 3/4 which means putting osme money into it.

I have a ps4 so I may give it a whirl for a while.
I quite enjoy warzone etc hence the reason asking about keyboard and mouse. It's killer hard to play on pad.

Soldato
The simple answer is no, you can't use a mouse and keyboard. If you want to game on console, you need to get used to using a gamepad.

I have flitted in between PC and console, PC until my mid twenties, console til my mid thirties, now I'm knocking on the door of middle-age-crisis-ville, I play on both. Even my tired neurons can get used to switching between the two, I play Apex Legends on Xbox and PC....tbf I slightly prefer playing on a pad (in fact I sometimes play on PC with a pad (shhh), and do just as well as with mouse and kb.

Soldato
Personally, I would get the console and maybe a small graphics card upgrade to the PC next year.

My current PC was built in 2013 (didn't think it was that long ago frankly!) and while it won't blow through everything at fantastic settings, as an i5-4670K, 16GB RAM machine, with a GTX1060 I added in 2017, it can still plod through games handily enough for me to not sit here think 'OMG this is dross, I need to spend £1500 on a new one'. Unless your 4 year old PC was built out of budget gear, it should still be perfectly functional, albeit without going mad on the graphics quality sliders.

It depends a lot on your expectation with a PC - if you want to smash everything to max on a 4K screen at 120fps, then yeah, you're going to need to dump a load of money in it but if you're happy enough playing games for the enjoyment of the game, consider what you'd really need to spend to keep up with a moderate ability to play 1080p games at 60fps with a few sliders dropped to medium on the latest games - it might be less than you think. Remember - one of the advantages always trotted out for PCs is the modular upgradability of them to keep an older machine up to date.

Associate
Think it depends on what games you want to play, FPS games have always played better on PC's due the tweakability + mouse/keyboard control. Consoles are great for their exclusive games (Forza, Bloodborne, TLOU, Unchartered, Zelda BOTW, etc)

I've been an avid gamer for years and own all consoles (just for the exclusive titles) I also have a reasonably specced desktop PC that I haven't used for ages. (I've been a PC gamer for 25 years, Compaq Presario 486 ahem!) but have leaned more to console gaming for the last 10 years or so.

At the moment I'm totally hooked on the new COD (Xbox One X plus mouse/keyboard) I'm pretty much useless with a joypad. They are a handful of titles that support mouse and keyboard on console.
https://www.windowscentral.com/list-xbox-one-mouse-and-keyboard-games?amp

If you can afford and you have the time, then don't switch, enjoy both.....it really depends on what you want to play.

Soldato
Some console games allow mouse and keyboard, I have been playing a lot of warzone recently on my xbox with pc friends with mouse and keyboard :)

I mainly just play total war / wow on my laptop everything else is on the xbox.

Soldato
I game on pc and switch, i did have a ps4 pro but swapped it for a switch, which is a brilliant decision as now i can game while my fiance watches her dross. Pc gaming is always going to be my prefered platform. I love reading and watching youtube videos about the tech and the the exclusive games like total war and mount and blade are worth the cost.

Associate
Been a dyed in the wool FPS PC gamer since the days of Doom on 10 floppy discs (still have them in a box in a cupboard somewhere) but I've gone over to console for gaming.

I don't use Windows anymore. Have a Mac for general stuff like browsing photo editing video and music creation, and a One X for gaming.

Associate
Guess I should also add that these days I also tend to play a more relaxed style of game - Red Dead Redemption , The Witcher , Hunter Call of the Wild etc. Prey and Wolfenstein are about as fast paced as I get these days.

Soldato
I own all the current consoles and a decent gaming PC (laptop). The PC and Switch get most use out of the lot of them; better and most exclusives, more flexibility. Out of the other consoles, the PS4 has done OK, not disappointed with it, it's got some good exclusives. XBOne however has been a major disappointment for me. VAST majority of stuff decent is multiformat, either on the other consoles or PC.

If I were you, I would consider getting an up to date PC (without going crazy) then just doing a GPU upgrade for a few hundred every few years. You'll get all the benefits and none of the cons; PC CPU hardware has moved on a lot all of a sudden in the last 3 years; after almost 10 years of relative laurel sitting, so if you buy something decent now, it should last a while, at least whilst the mainstream market catches up. This is why I was determined the machine I got 6 months ago had 8 CPU cores, or I can see it being out of date in a few years, even though I paid a premium for it I won't be suffering in a year or two once the next gen consoles and console ports are amongst us (next gen consoles have 8 CPU cores, typically 1-2 reserved for OS, with 6 dedicated to gaming). With 6 and 8 core CPUs now being affordable, there's no reason to buy 4 core for gaming unless on extreme budget or for media servers etc which don't need more, and the market has massively moved on in that regards now, as Intel has no longer been able to drip feed us 2 core i3s and 4 core i5/i7 and stay on top.

A lot of more laid back PC games can also use a wired Xbox 360/Xbox controller nowadays also; there's even talk World of Warcraft will be getting a controller mode next expansion for more casual players, so simply put, PC gives you more options.

A decent PC now, with a £200-250 GPU upgrade in a few years time, should push you to a better performance state than the consoles most likely; bear in mind consoles are getting much more expensive, rumours are both the next gen machines will be ~£500, so if you get good CPU, SSD, RAM etc now, a decent £200-300 GPU in a few years should keep you in the lead.

I don't see that changing, PCs are less optimised, but MUCH more flexible, and some of the games that come out for PC either couldnt be attempted on console, or have to be neutered. The next gen of consoles will obviously move that bar a long way up compared to last gen, but after 3-5 years, they will be sorely outdated compared to PC. This is almost always the way, they start out comparative to a mid range gaming PC, but end up a fair way behind. This constant movement means developers out there can push far more ambitious projects to PC if they chose (there will always be new hardware coming), but console version invariably have to be compromised somewhere if the PC hardware has moved far ahead of current PC tech; OR the PC variant offers higher settings etc as the hardware improves.

Then there is high resolution, high refresh rate, which generally console just cannot compete with; or without compromises elsehwere.

Again the new consoles are a serious step forward, CPU and GPU wise compared to last gen BUT the average gaming PC will continue to advance ahead of the consoles because its not bound to that say 5+ year tenure. Optimisation on console really does work WONDERS (look at PS3 early games and end of that generation), BUT the march of hardware advancement will continue at the same time.

Perfect example: Witcher 3, came out on PC in 2015. The version of Witcher 3 on PS4 base had to be toned back to maintain framerate and the PS3 couldn't even dare to try running it.

The new consoles are a serious jump forward and much more modern (8 modern CPU cores, mid to high end GPU, SSD), but they will be outpaced soon enough.

I realise SPECS aren't everything, but higher specs DO give developers more options.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Been wrestling with this myself but I don't think I could give up my PC now. I'd certainly miss playing American Truck Simulator amongst other things and it would mean having to rebuy a ton of games on Xbox/PS if I wanted to play something again. And I do like playing older games. If I keep my PC, it means the Xbox Series X is off the cards even though it might do some amazing things. I think PC+PS5 will be the way to go, much as it was this gen with PC+PS4. Even a weaker (cheap) PC will be capable of amazing things thanks to nVidia's DLSS technology and I'm fully expecting some next-gen games on consoles to still be running at 30fps and that really would be something I'd get annoyed about and wished I had a PC for 60fps.

Soldato
I moved from PC gaming a long time ago but then again back in the day i was only playing 1.6 counterstrike and football manager. I own a switch and PS4 although i mostly play with the Switch

Soldato
Got a ps4 and I'm currently on the fence on whether to say goodbye to pc gaming and switch to console and get ps5 or stick with it and upgrade my pc.

I built my pc 4 years ago and it cost a chunky lump and before you know it here we are again. Life is so busy at the moment so I am really considering getting a ps5 end of the year.

Can you play games with mouse and keyboard on ps4/5?
Thsi is how far out of it I am with console.

Any other perks to console or things to consider?

Appreciate any feedback especially if any of you dabble with both.
Thanks

I moved to console in 2014 after 20+ years as a PC gamer. Quake was my choice on PC, spent years playing the various iterations. Then I got into Tribes Ascend for a few years. That died.

Anyway, generally online FPS games are full of hackers and I got tired of it, so went to console. Cant say I regretted it.

A few weeks ago I bought a gaming laptop. I seem to have spent more time fixing issues than playing! But there is no getting away from the fact my ability on mouse and keyboard on games like CoD is an order of magnitude higher than on game pad. The scoreboards on PC, though, are tempered with hacked lobbies.

Console gaming is easier. Games, in the main, just work. Sofas are comfier than gaming chairs too :p Downside is frame rates aren't great compare to PC. But big screen 4k TV's with HDR are lovely for gaming on.

I am gaming across both platforms at the moment but I have to say I'm enjoying both.

You can play on mouse and keyboard on console if you want to. Either natively in some cases or via XIM adaptors. But it's never as good as PC mouse play as effectively you are working within control systems designed for game pads. Also kb/ mouse use online against console players very much the actions of a ******* (ie cheating)

Certainly the next gen of consoles will be great. So I doubt you would be disappointed. They will be cheaper than maintaining a well performing PC that's for sure.

Associate
OP
Guys thanks for all your input, decided I'll stay PC. I literally have collected so many games over the years and spent a lot of money so that would just go to waste. On my ps4 I have been pretty clever and not spent much at all due to the fact I am much more the pc gamer.

I'll upgrade my system but not go mad and will just do this every 2 /3 years. All this started as I realised my quad core just can't cope with warzone which I find pretty fun.

Caporegime
Just stay away from high end PC hardware, build something mid-range that's good value for the PC exclusives and use the money saved to buy a console.

Last edited:
Soldato
Shame you haven't got more posts as the members market here is great for picking up bargains. Second hand is great so long as you're comfortable with the risk, buying from here is much better than eBay for example for that reason.

Associate
Bit late as the Op has already responded but a few points from my perspective:
  • Xbox Game Pass & PS Now. I'll buy the odd AAA game but my backlog, buying games in sales and using GP/PS Now has been great for reducing my spend on games. I know both are available on PC but they work well/best with each respective console.
  • Backwards compatibility on Xbox has been amazing. Particularly stuff like KOTOR or Oblivion in 4K optimised 'Xbox One X' versions. And it all just works. I still can't even get FMV movies to work properly in KOTOR on PC. PS5 and XSX should be better.
  • Console exclusives. Unfortunately not everything makes PC, although the vice-versa is true.
  • You don't have to deal with exclusivity/PC storefront non-sense.
  • Far, far less hacking or cheating on multi-player/online games. Xbox Fallout 76 has been bliss compared to some of the horror stories on PC.
I used GOG Galaxy for the free Rayman Legends game I got on the Epic Store.

When I clicked install it:

1. Started EGS as a second client.
2. Notified me about an update for EGS that I installed.
3. Opened up a view where it had me login to uPlay, to link those accounts.
4. Opened uPlay as a third client.
5. Notified me about an update for uPlay that I installed.
6. Notified me about an update for GOG Galaxy that I installed.
7. Launched the game.
8. Left all three clients running after I exited the game.

That said I still run a gaming laptop after I sold off my X99/Nv 1080 desktop. And that has been the biggest win of 'maining' consoles again. Having the freedom to choose my PC form factor. As I buy less new games on PC I don't need that much power and means I can get smaller or open up new options (NUCs?) in the future. PC gaming is still so versatile and the biggest back catalog bar none so it can absolutely make sense to have a gaming PC. I'm just don't want to stay in the PC rat-race anymore.

Back
Top Bottom