Ridiculous price matches

Soldato
OP
Better example, but I can't believe anyone would pay £5.5k for that Fiesta. Why wouldn't you get something like this instead which is Titanium trim 1.6L instead of Zetec 1.4L:

I think you're starting to get it. Let me take your thinking a stage further. Why wouldn't you get something like a Mercedes E class instead? :D

[TBH - Fiestas seem to hold their value quite well. The idea a 10 year old Fiesta would be selling for 4, 5 grand is surprising to me when you could get something like a newer Seat Leon for the same money]

They really do, and have for years and years, going back to the mk1 and mk2. They're part of what developed this thinking for me. I think it's just that they're such a known quantity. They're perceived as a safe buy, and so they keep their value very well as they get much older. Is their depreciation much less than others in, say, the first three years too? Or is it just that their curve flattens out a lot more in later years?

Soldato
DxjDTeW.jpg

Save yourself some money and get a nice cheap 2006 650i that'll rip its way to 60mph in 4.6s rather than an underpowered 13.1s to 60mph boring 2006 Honda SUV

Soldato
This is fairly obvious though, the market for complicated expensive old cars is virtually zero, as most people who have 2 grand to spend on a car don't want to mess about with a 20 year old Jaguar.

Unless they are young and foolish and blind themselves to the facts that if you buy a £40,000 motor car, you will get £40,000 motor car bills. Regardless of how little you paid for it.

Soldato
OP
Unless they are young and foolish and blind themselves to the facts that if you buy a £40,000 motor car, you will get £40,000 motor car bills. Regardless of how little you paid for it.

I think you mean 'free spirited risk takers'. :D

Actually, there are probably a few sub sets. As you say, people who kid themselves about the costs. People who accept that they will have to deal with the costs. But also people who are extremely handy, and know that they can remove a large proportion of the extra costs by doing the work themselves. Often labour does make up a lot of the additional running costs.

Man of Honour

Some people are like this and they make up the small market for this sort of car. For everyone else they are worthless.

Soldato
But also people who are extremely handy, and know that they can remove a large proportion of the extra costs by doing the work themselves.

This subset, as regards anything much after 2010 (2000 really) , has fallen off the table altogether.

I have been a professional mechanic since the early 1980's

There is no way in hell that I would chose to buy a high end (Or even any really) car from 2010 on and assume that I would be able to afford it by being able to fix everything myself.

Mid/late 90's is as far as I would go for a reliable self maintenance/repair long term plan

That 6 series BMW, I would buy that for fun, I would hope that I would get 5+ years out of it, but I would also recogniose that when it broke, I would just have to throw it away like a 3 year old poverty spec Beko washing machine!

Soldato
This subset, as regards anything much after 2010 (2000 really) , has fallen off the table altogether.

I have been a professional mechanic since the early 1980's

There is no way in hell that I would chose to buy a high end (Or even any really) car from 2010 on and assume that I would be able to afford it by being able to fix everything myself.

Mid/late 90's is as far as I would go for a reliable self maintenance/repair long term plan

That 6 series BMW, I would buy that for fun, I would hope that I would get 5+ years out of it, but I would also recogniose that when it broke, I would just have to throw it away like a 3 year old poverty spec Beko washing machine!

I would challenge that view. Third party companies are getting much better at providing Dealer equivalent diagnostic and programming software, allowing you to do anything they would charge you a fortune for. The younger generations are getting much more clued up about diagnosing electrical faults compared to mechanics years ago. There are still far too many mechanics chucking parts at stuff instead of doing the fault finding first.

I own a discovery 3, and do nearly all the work I can on it. I would only go to a garage as a very last resort. You would be amazed at the amount of information you can get online, as long as you pick a car with a decent following.

Man of Honour
I think you're starting to get it. Let me take your thinking a stage further. Why wouldn't you get something like a Mercedes E class instead? :D
The point I was making is that £5.5k isn't an appropriate price bracket for a Fiesta of that age - you can get one much cheaper (the car I cited was under £4k, more than an E class of comparable age would be). So it's more a question of E class versus something better than a 10 year old Fiesta 1.4 Zetec, or a ford Fiesta versus something worse than an E class.

Caporegime
I would challenge that view. Third party companies are getting much better at providing Dealer equivalent diagnostic and programming software, allowing you to do anything they would charge you a fortune for. The younger generations are getting much more clued up about diagnosing electrical faults compared to mechanics years ago. There are still far too many mechanics chucking parts at stuff instead of doing the fault finding first.

I own a discovery 3, and do nearly all the work I can on it. I would only go to a garage as a very last resort. You would be amazed at the amount of information you can get online, as long as you pick a car with a decent following.

Agreed, most modern stuff these days will accurately tell you what the problem is before you start swapping out likely culprits heck, my truck tells me the percentage of brake pad wear on all its axles and the level of system diagnostics it has is incredible as it is in many modern cars.

The downside of this is your left with an army of fitters but few mechanics, and getting the fitters to fix anything the computer hasn't flagged up quickly becomes a nightmare as generally they don't have any fault-finding abilities which your time served mechanic will do in his sleep....

Soldato
Some people are like this and they make up the small market for this sort of car. For everyone else they are worthless.

Not really. There’s no doubt many people are like that, but there’s also plenty who know what they’re getting in for and can either fix them themselves or put up with the hassle of finding parts / mechanics when necessary, safe in the knowledge they’re driving a great car for a tiny fraction of its initial purchase price.

Soldato
Oh yeah, when you get into classics it starts to get really weird. Fancy a Nova SR or a carrera S for £18k? They had similar mileage too!

But nostalgia has a massive potential financial value of its own.

Rarity as well. Porsche are everywhere, not many Novas left as most ended up on their roof in ditches :p

Back
Top Bottom