***Official GTAV PC Thread*** [Important warning updated in the OP]

Soldato
Can you mod the Epic Games version of this?

I've not read anywhere that says you can't but that said I am having some problems with the Redux mod if anyone here can shed any light?

I've followed the install instructions as per the Redux website and everything appeared to work fine - I got to the end of the process and the option said to boot the game and see the differences - I tried that and after 30 seconds or so I got a message saying I needed to boot the game from the Rockstar Launcher.

I thought, OK, let's try again and the game loading stalled on a black box with an "R" on it - after a while I closed it down. The next time I tried it got a bit further in that the loading screen came up eventually, even including the "Redux" loading graphic.....and then it signed me out of my Rockstar social club account and when I now try to sign back in, I get an "unknown error 1000.186" and have no options but to cancel the loading? (oh and thank you Rockstar for putting that ridiculous "reCAPTCHA" rubbish to make sure I'm not a bot - not annoying at all when you do find all the hydrants and it STILL doesn't ******* work!)

Has anyone had similar issues or could offer any pointers??

Soldato
Social Club been down since around 10pm for me.

Annoyingly, "offline mode" does not work either so you are effectively left with unable to be playing offline either.

The reCaptcha is GARBAGE. Who uses reCaptcha on client login?

Guess who does not have this problem...

Soldato
Hmmm, looks like Social Club being down was my problem as it's worked fine this morning!

Just 2 issues remain, in an attempt to get it working last night I also installed the "Reshade" add-on and while it seems to have worked, I've got the banner at the top of the screen saying "Press Home to go through tutorial" and I have no idea what, if any, button is bound to "Home" and so I can't get rid of it! (or access the tutorial for that matter!)

The other issue is, I understood that the installation of Redux meant it would only work in single player but thought I'd still be able to jump into the online multiplayer, albeit using the vanilla game, when I wanted to but I'm not sure how to do this? Anyone got any tips?

*edit* never mind, the actual "home" button on the keyboard did the trick with the Reshade mod - still can't figure out how to get back to the online game though??

Last edited:
Soldato
Better to install everything with OpenIV which essentially separates game files so you can play online without the mods as well as offline with them all. Check out youtube for installation, loads of tutorials there for the big graphics mods.

Any chance you could talk me through how to do this?

I've installed the Redux mod via OpenIV and the single player works fine (or it does if the Rockstar Social Club is working!) - the problem is that I can't get the online working again.

I found a forum post that suggested removing the "ScriptHookV.dll" file from the GTA folder and renaming the "mods" folder to "mods-off" but when I try to load into the online game I get the message that I am "attempting to access the GTA online servers with an altered version of the game" and boots me back to the single player?

Anyone know how I can get back to the online?

Soldato
Any chance you could talk me through how to do this?

I've installed the Redux mod via OpenIV and the single player works fine (or it does if the Rockstar Social Club is working!) - the problem is that I can't get the online working again.

I found a forum post that suggested removing the "ScriptHookV.dll" file from the GTA folder and renaming the "mods" folder to "mods-off" but when I try to load into the online game I get the message that I am "attempting to access the GTA online servers with an altered version of the game" and boots me back to the single player?

Anyone know how I can get back to the online?
mods cant work online for obvious reasons. You need to disable them

Soldato
mods cant work online for obvious reasons. You need to disable them

I realise this but what I'm not sure of is how to disable them!

I've uninstalled the "ASI Loader" (which in turn has disabled the "OpenIV.ASI") and now when I try to load the online game I get a message saying the Rockstar service is not available - which I'm guessing is a set up from the message telling me I'm trying to use an altered version of the game?

Soldato
OMG, if GTA online was full of cheaters now that Epic is giving it for free, is gonna be a nightmare.
People will make free accounts just to cheat... 100% sure.

Yep. Throw away accounts literally limited by how many email addresses you can summon up. Will most likely ruin the game for a long time unless R* have upped their game anti-cheat wise. At least there is no issues with solo lobbies.

I am replaying GTA IV and really enjoying it.

Soldato
I decided to reinstall GTAV. I forgot how discusting the experience of just installing it is.
Epic launcher, Rockstar social + social club login, C++ redistributions, Steam still required as part of the install and some other software i've not even heard of. With my Epic account name too 'Guest2' I had 160 friend requests :D
God knows why, maybe they just added me because they couldnt choose to have Guest2 when they applied to get their free account for GTAV free download

I've quickly uninstalled the lot and gone back to COD

Man of Honour
It's a nigthmare trying to get online, took ages of trying yesterday and cant seem to get online at all today,
just too many people playing after Epic's giveaway and the servers are full i guess

server status..
Am2uMf1.png

Soldato
I managed to get back into the online game and went for a drive down to the airport and as I was driving around my car slowed to a stop and my character got out - and all of a sudden I was in a cage and after 5-10 seconds someone blew me up! I'm assuming this is some tool who is cheating somehow?

Either way, now I can't even get back into the game - but instead of a Rockstar error I get a message saying that GTA V timed out authenticating with Epic Online Services - so essentially problems all over the place! :(

Soldato
I decided to reinstall GTAV. I forgot how discusting the experience of just installing it is.
Epic launcher, Rockstar social + social club login, C++ redistributions, Steam still required as part of the install and some other software i've not even heard of. With my Epic account name too 'Guest2' I had 160 friend requests :D
God knows why, maybe they just added me because they couldnt choose to have Guest2 when they applied to get their free account for GTAV free download

I've quickly uninstalled the lot and gone back to COD

Steam and Epic Games needed for GTA? Think you're confused mate.

Epic Games has always required you to use UbiSoft, Social Club etc platforms for launching their games. C++ redistributions are common as heck with most big games also.

Personally I prefer this since I use the Ubi launcher for their games anyway, and you aren't required to open Epic Games to play once it's linked.

Soldato
Steam and Epic Games needed for GTA? Think you're confused mate.

Epic Games has always required you to use UbiSoft, Social Club etc platforms for launching their games. C++ redistributions are common as heck with most big games also.

Personally I prefer this since I use the Ubi launcher for their games anyway, and you aren't required to open Epic Games to play once it's linked.

So how do you play it without Ubisoft, Social club and Steam mate? When I installed it from the Epic games store, it automatically installed all three. I have no other Ubi games and hate all the additional platforms like social club that require more registration & signing in

Soldato
So how do you play it without Ubisoft, Social club and Steam mate? When I installed it from the Epic games store, it automatically installed all three. I have no other Ubi games and hate all the additional platforms like social club that require more registration & signing in

You open Epic Games and purchase GTA V (for free)
You attempt to download GTA V and link your Rockstar Social Club to Epic Games
GTA V installs plus any C++ Redistributions (to be clear this isn't anything new, Steam did the same thing when I installed Final Fantasy 8 recently).

Once this is done you can open Rockstar Social Club and play GTA straight from the launcher because you've linked the account to Epic Games and all Rockstar games (RDR2 etc) will be linked to your Social Club directly whether purchased from Rockstar, Epic Games or some random website selling keys to be used on the developers own launcher.

If you do this with any Ubisoft game, replace the word Rockstar Social Club with Ubisoft's uPlay launcher.

Back
Top Bottom