Lenovo M720Q What a Machine

Associate
New to the forum, Was recommended to it by a friend.

So a bit of background:

With being a church organist I often practice at home on a small instrument in my room, I had got quite bored of the sounds produced by the organ, I trialed Hauptwerk 5 and some trial sample sets using my Dell XPS 9570, I then bought the Hereford Cathedral sample set which requires about 8-24Gb of ram depending on the settings. Whilst the Dell ran this fine, i was a little concerned that every time i wanted to practice I plugged the laptop in with all the accessories.

I decided that i needed a dedicated machine, I looked at the Asrock A310 but with a decent CPU and ram it was quite pricey. I looked into the Small form factors including the NUC, and decided that a small form factor was the best way to go as it could be upgraded. I found the M720Q on eBay for £303 and bought a 16Gb stick from another store.

The footprint of this machine means i am able to sit it on top of one of the speakers in my setup, and its configured so the organ loads at startup and disabled indexing to stop audio glitches.

The specs are as follows:

24GB of Ram
1x 128Gb Sata SSD
1x m.2 NVME 500GB SSD
i5-8400T
plenty of USB ports.

The machine is so quiet it isn't an issue, i am so Tempted to buy another just to have as a second machine, so impressed with the power and how on the benchmarks it isn't far behind my old DellT3600 workstation.

Anyway if anyone is looking at one or wants to know anything about the software and my experiences I am happy to talk about them.

full

Soldato
Have looked at some of these, as they can be had pretty cheap for the lower spec models.
Interesting use case you have for yours.
Would be a pretty good emulation box for older games.

Caporegime
I moved away from buying Intel NUCs to getting HP ProDesk Minis second hand. They usually have a year or more of the HP on-site warranty left on them, and as they are a touch larger than a NUC they have real CPUs rather than mobile ones. Really good value for money.

Soldato
Great little machine. Amazing how much power can be packed into a small device and still have upgrade options and a reasonable amount of cooling. Stuff like this is great value for money.

Back
Top Bottom