Alternatives to a chainsaw

Soldato
We need pictures really judge this tree and what it needs to be brought down. It's best to cut down a tree in the winter, not just because of nesting birds but because of the weight up top from the leaves and the water it's pulling up during growing season. It can make it a bit harder to control the fall and get snagged in other trees.

There are a few ways to cut down a tree but get it wrong and it "barber-chairs'" or jumps back in to you or don't predict the fall correctly, it's not the chainsaw that'll kill you. What are you going to with it once it's down? Bucking it with a handsaw would be backbreaking. You can't burn the wood right after cutting it, it has to be dried for many seasons.

There's a lot to cutting down trees (as I've recently found out!) so if it's just the one tree you should call someone in. A good arborist will make it look easy.

Soldato
Yes I think it is doable

the one central bark is massive that one is going to be difficult
The rest look okay

one thing I just realised none mentioned using a wooden drill bit etc
Not sure if holes would go through easily in trees though lol

No one has mentioned it because using a drill and drilling holes to cut down a tree is the wrong tool and the wrong way. It's like trying to paint a wall with a tea spoon.

Soldato
My parents had large sycamores that needed felling - a tree surgeon is your best route, especially if the trees are listed as protected. They also have insurance.

Caporegime
We need pictures really judge this tree and what it needs to be brought down. It's best to cut down a tree in the winter, not just because of nesting birds but because of the weight up top from the leaves and the water it's pulling up during growing season. It can make it a bit harder to control the fall and get snagged in other trees.

There are a few ways to cut down a tree but get it wrong and it "barber-chairs'" or jumps back in to you or don't predict the fall correctly, it's not the chainsaw that'll kill you. What are you going to with it once it's down? Bucking it with a handsaw would be backbreaking. You can't burn the wood right after cutting it, it has to be dried for many seasons.

There's a lot to cutting down trees (as I've recently found out!) so if it's just the one tree you should call someone in. A good arborist will make it look easy.

You could always get rid of the leaves by killing the tree first.

I killed 2 trees 3 years ago. Neither has fallen down yet and we have had several storms including today where winds have hit them at 100 mph.

Plenty of branches have slowly fallen off over time but I just ordered a pole saw to cut a small piece off at a time as I now need them 100% gone. I also killed another 5 trees using drill and weedkiller 3-4 weeks ago. 2 of them have died already, 2 look like they are getting there and 1 seems fine. so i may need to buy high strength weedkiller as i used old stuff that had been sitting there for 6 years. i normally use gallup or 360 stuff (360gm glysophate per litre) but had ran out and just used what i had. was tempted to try bleach but never bothered.

I'm not really scared of damage to house as they are far away. Also chances it falls when I'm in the back garden are minimal if it's been fine through massive winds. they will be gone within the next 2 weeks as i pick up the saw today.

Caporegime
My parents had large sycamores that needed felling - a tree surgeon is your best route, especially if the trees are listed as protected. They also have insurance.
felling trees is easy just do it with ropes so the bits that fall can only go one way.
slowly cut the tree to peices from the top down a few foot at a time.

assuming it's knot some giant thats like 6ft wide

Back
Top Bottom