Motor Insurance giving out coronavirus rebate

Soldato
This might be of interest to some. You might be able to get a refund on car insurance. I just got this email from Churchill who I'm insured with. Asked me how many miles a week I've driven during lockdown. I put 30 miles a week. So, other insurers might offer similar refunds.

20200521-205022.jpg

Screenshot-20200521-203854-Opera.jpg

Soldato
I've said that many companies are going to be remembered for their actions during the pandemic - some will be remembered for doing the right thing, others will be remembered for not offering the same, or making life more difficult.
It makes perfect sense that insurance rebates should happen. I was put into government 12 week lock-down and during that time I've completed about 12 miles a week.
However, I'm with GA, part of Aviva group by looks and nothing - in fact one of their FAQ's said "What if I find I'm currently doing less mileage" to which the answer was "You can make is aware, however it will make no difference to your premiums".

Soldato
people thinking this will be a nice "£25" are probably forgetting the fact that they'll be charged extra £25 average next renewal.

the reality is that many drivers struggled to drive daily on same roads and I'm sure me and many other have encountered that same person each daily barely making any progress or just being incompetent each. Now imagine that same driver after a say 2-4 month break from driving. It'll be carnage, it'll soon balance out when insurers end up paying out more than average number of claims after lock-down is lifted and people crash lol. Which will mess with the statistics(what insurance is based on) and bam we're all paying the extra £25 on average over the "expected" price.

I personally do not care that my insurance company has not offered it, I'd rather they stay afloat and continue being in the market. More competition = cheaper insurance for us.

I'm with flux and aplan btw, both a great to insure through.

Soldato
Mine has just gone up a bit too - remarkable given the situation I think. Given as they work with probabilities, the probability is that most of us will be driving a lot less than usual and on quieter roads = less risk of an accident :). Direct line.

Associate
people thinking this will be a nice "£25" are probably forgetting the fact that they'll be charged extra £25 average next renewal.

the reality is that many drivers struggled to drive daily on same roads and I'm sure me and many other have encountered that same person each daily barely making any progress or just being incompetent each. Now imagine that same driver after a say 2-4 month break from driving. It'll be carnage, it'll soon balance out when insurers end up paying out more than average number of claims after lock-down is lifted and people crash lol. Which will mess with the statistics(what insurance is based on) and bam we're all paying the extra £25 on average over the "expected" price.

I personally do not care that my insurance company has not offered it, I'd rather they stay afloat and continue being in the market. More competition = cheaper insurance for us.

I'm with flux and aplan btw, both a great to insure through.

I am in agreement with you here, I rather they just survive allowing more competition and cheaper prices in the long run. I haven’t received any information from my insurance company and I don’t expect to.
Now I have only had 8 weeks off due to the lock down and there are other would have had many more weeks off or are working from home not being able to use their cars. So £25 sounds like a fair offer at first, but those who haven’t been able to use their cars for long than say me and now haven’t used their car for 12-14weeks? May feel they should receive more than £25?

Associate
I got the meagre £25 just before I left Admiral in June, nothing from new insurer but then I suppose it has only been a month haha

Back
Top Bottom