The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
So the issue with Help to Buy was resolved towards the end of last week, and the application can now proceed. My girlfriend however decided to throw a spanner in the works today by calling time on our relationship. While I am buying the house on my own, we chose the house together, and it was in a small village between where her brother currently lives and where her parents are moving to, with a reasonable commute into central London for work for both of us. Now I'm in two minds as to whether to actually go through with it... the house is lovely, albeit a little overkill for myself, but I'm worried it might also be a little isolating being on my own after living in London for so long. Decisions, decisions!
Reading your post in the other thread I would put purchase on hold or cancel it to ensure there's no reconciliation for the wrong reasons (on her part - intentional or not)

Caporegime
We did a simultaneous exchange and completion on Friday morning, finally in our own home.

Just want to get everything in order so we can enjoy the garden! (We were in a 2nd floor flat for 3 years).

I know the feeling. Having a garden has been lovely during lockdown. However do feel quite uncertain with how much house would be worth if had to sell. Would have given me a massive chunk of savings back if could have saved even 5 percent!

Bought with partners salary, Couldn't afford mortgage on my own (from banks perspective) but with new job I can now should gf have to go on disability benefit (worst case scenario).

Soldato
After over a year since we sold our house and being messed around by a previous property we were looking to purchase, we have just had our offer accepted on a properly. Looking to exchange in July and Complete in August. Just hoping our buyer is still interested, when we touched base just before Covid, they till wanted to proceed. Exciting times!

Now to just prepare some smart home bits to have installed in advance (it's a custom new build).

Soldato
I've viewed all the potential alternatives around to our original purchase which was supposed to exchange right before the lockdown. Part of us thinks we should bin off the 2-bed listed cottage and get a sensible 3-bed new build instead as we're working from home....but the house is so nice! Feels like light at the end of the tunnel though....think we're going to stick with it. July is current estimated completion, but totally dependent on the chain reforming further along....

Caporegime
I've viewed all the potential alternatives around to our original purchase which was supposed to exchange right before the lockdown. Part of us thinks we should bin off the 2-bed listed cottage and get a sensible 3-bed new build instead as we're working from home....but the house is so nice! Feels like light at the end of the tunnel though....think we're going to stick with it. July is current estimated completion, but totally dependent on the chain reforming further along....

There's a lot to be said for new builds.
It was a right hassle for us with just a chain of 3 (Including us)

Can completely see why people go for new builds. You just don't get much garden

Soldato
Put an offer in on our first home today, had a nightmare with the estate agent who seemingly refused to want to put our offer forward to the seller. Someone put in an offer before us this morning so apparently "no other offers" are being considered. Seemed a bit odd to me, anyway she eventually allowed me to offer the asking price and said she will put it forward so see what happens.

Soldato
There's a lot to be said for new builds.
It was a right hassle for us with just a chain of 3 (Including us)

Can completely see why people go for new builds. You just don't get much garden

I have put an offer in on a 4 year old property with an usually decent size garden. Quite appealing to have something fairly new but not have to deal with snagging. The kitchen is cheap nasty tat though, you can tell they just chuck in whatever the cheapest carp they can find. Happy to just rip it out though and put something decent in.

Soldato
Put an offer in on our first home today, had a nightmare with the estate agent who seemingly refused to want to put our offer forward to the seller. Someone put in an offer before us this morning so apparently "no other offers" are being considered. Seemed a bit odd to me, anyway she eventually allowed me to offer the asking price and said she will put it forward so see what happens.

What!!!!
Surely they are required to put all offers to the seller? Do they not have a code of practice?

Caporegime
I have put an offer in on a 4 year old property with an usually decent size garden. Quite appealing to have something fairly new but not have to deal with snagging. The kitchen is cheap nasty tat though, you can tell they just chuck in whatever the cheapest carp they can find. Happy to just rip it out though and put something decent in.

We have quite a small house (3 bed detached, 60m2 footprint) but the plot is 500m2 and has a gara

Its basically just right garden wise, as most is at the back.

Struggled to find something similar near Cardiff with in our price range with all the above.
Still replastering because of nasty wallpaper on plasterboard

Soldato
What!!!!
Surely they are required to put all offers to the seller? Do they not have a code of practice?
That is exactly what I quoted pretty much and she with a big huff and puff decided to take my details. Unless she has some sort of personal connection to the other offer it was all a bit odd. Perhaps she thinks im not very serious.

Soldato
Not a lot of qualifications to be an agent, most of them are chancers. Viewed a property last week, it was a 2 bed terrace. Dude got in a huff when I said the reason we weren't interested was that it's too big.

It was bloody massive, me and the missus would never see each, let along the heating bills! Was a very nice property if you wanted a massive old 2-bed, but not for us....

Associate
Hi guys, looking for some advice on buying a house that requires roof repairs.
Is it a done thing that you request the vendor pays for the cost as part of the deal rather than reducing the actual offer price. I.E. getting cash after a quote?
Survey has shown the roof is at end of life and at the least needs an "overhaul." I've spoken to a well reviewed local contractor who is willing to come out and assess for a small price but has already told me up to 3k for the overhaul.

Soldato
Is it a done thing that you request the vendor pays for the cost as part of the deal rather than reducing the actual offer price. I.E. getting cash after a quote?
Survey has shown the roof is at end of life and at the least needs an "overhaul." I've spoken to a well reviewed local contractor who is willing to come out and assess for a small price but has already told me up to 3k for the overhaul.

It's entirely up to you. I got a quote for some repointing and general maintenance work on the roof for the place I'm buying, but the amount it costs isn't worth the risk of the sale falling through, and given the age of the property that was the only thing that came up in the survey I was pretty happy (it's grade 2 listed and 200+ years old). If it was a regular housing estate house I would have dropped the offer to cover the cost.

Going to sit tight and go ahead with this sale now. Had a few weeks of looking at other options thinking maybe a bigger place would be more practical with the lockdown, but ultimately the place we have lined up is exactly where we want to live and properties don't come up very often, let alone one that's as well looked after and fitted out.

Just need the chain to find an end again!

Soldato
We had a meeting with our home builder yesterday confirming some choices which was quite nice. Confirmed our flooring, kitchen fronts/worktops - decided on going for an induction cooker, bathroom tiles/floor tiles and got all the measurements so we can start hunting for furniture.

Shame it's still so far away though

Soldato
We were meant to complete on the 16th April. Coronavirus happened. The chain had agreed and pencilled a date of the 8th June. Bottom of the chain raised more enquiries to our buyer at the end of last week. The wait continues. ******* stupid system.

Soldato

You can ask citing the report for them to reduce price or get the work done prior to the sale, they can just say no though. Whatever you decide I would make sure contractor goes see's it first just in case the work ends up costing way more than 3k after buying. Just depends on how desperate you are to buy and for the vendor to sell.

Back
Top Bottom