The NHS app vs Patient Access app?

NHS - https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/the-nhs-app
Patient Access - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.patient.patientaccess

I've been using Patient Access for years. Both web-based and their app. The press is now pushing people towards the NHS app but it seems to have the same sort of functionality. Like book GP appointments, request repeat prescriptions, view your medical record, send a message to your GP etc. Is the NHS app replacing Patient Access? Just checking here first to avoid duplication.

Don
Not replacing, just late to the ball I think.

I use the Patient Access web page, but when I signed up with my GP's online access there were several different choices of 3rd party site (including Patient Access). I think they opened up access to the data first, but have finally got round to making their own app/front end to view the data.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you had sometjing formal from your Gp recommending the use of the NHS app over Patient Access?

I've not received anything, my GP still uses Patient Access for me to order Meds, etc.

Caporegime
Thanks guys :)

Patient Access was the site/app advised by my surgery, so I'll carry on using that unless anything changes.
I'm just curious how detailed are your medical records on this site? tempted to get a code from my GP surgery just to see what mine says.
since the last time I was at my gp many years ago the guy was unaware I was diagnosed as autistic even though he set up my referral and it must be on my record because at the time he informed social services saying he had to
since then I've been curious if it's even on my record

Soldato
I have also been using the Patient Access app for a number of years when my GP said it was available. Had a text message a couple of weeks ago from the surgery advising that the NHS app was also available so have registered with that as well. I may end up closing the Patient Access app in the future and go with the NHS app purely as it's direct with the NHS and not a third party (not that I have had any issues with Patient Access).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just curious how detailed are your medical records on this site? tempted to get a code from my GP surgery just to see what mine says.
since the last time I was at my gp many years ago the guy was unaware I was diagnosed as autistic even though he set up my referral and it must be on my record because at the time he informed social services saying he had to
since then I've been curious if it's even on my record

My GP's patient access doesn't show any of my medical records , My wife's GP patient access shows medical history option but is only showing 1 medication so pretty useless. Most be dependent on the GP surgery

Soldato

Mine shows everything right back to childhood - minor and major ailments, medications, test results, referrals, immunisations... Everything. It must be surgery dependent.

Back
Top Bottom