Place to get nice Franks, Bockwurst and Bratts?

Permabanned
BBQ season has me craving something other then the average British banger to whack on the grill. Does anyone no anywhere that might stock a nice range of german sausages? Tried Aldi and Lidl but they're choice is extremely limited and not the best.

Soldato
German sausages are not good, enjoy the superior British variety! Source : lived in Germany for six years :p

Alternatively, just get the most bland unseasoned sausages you can find, use a small crusty white bun that's far too small for them as a handle and slather them in Löwensenf and ketchup. Job done!

Caporegime
I go to them a lot, they are quite near me. Their sausages are fantastic, deffo worth the money.

at Christmas they put a big circular stall out in Belxeyheath shopping centre selling their sausages and dogs freshly grilled in buns or baguettes with onions and sauces. Bloody delicious and the smell is to die for!

Caporegime
German sausages are not good, enjoy the superior British variety! Source : lived in Germany for six years :p

Alternatively, just get the most bland unseasoned sausages you can find, use a small crusty white bun that's far too small for them as a handle and slather them in Löwensenf and ketchup. Job done!
the Germans must be führious that some people think British sausages are better

Soldato
the Germans must be führious that some people think British sausages are better

Don't mention the wurst!

I like a good German bratwurst every now and then but also good quality "normal" bangers with onion and mustard! Not that baby poo French nonsense, actual my eyes are imploding up my nose English :D I think too much of anything and you get fed up.

Soldato
Meat in general is bad in Germany, I was quite surprised when I moved there. All the traditional German food is just bad cheap cuts like haxe (still nice) and Eisbeim (nope nope nope).

They don't do good roasting joints, and definitely don't eat Sunday roast type meals where the meat is the center. Wurst and sauerkraut and mustard is the mainstay.

Oh and schnitzel. Don't get me wrong I like a good schnitzel (Jaegerschnitzel, with a rich cream, onion, bacon and mushroom sauce is v good)....but they worship it. You never see Germans more happy then when it's Schnitzeltag at a local restaurant for lunch!

Moving back to the UK, the butchers are just on another level, everything is better. I've eaten so much meat since I came back :D

Caporegime
doesn't Germany have hundreds of varieties of sausage though and it will probably vary wildly from area to area.

I'd imagine German cuisine ain't all that different to Switzerland where most of the local cuisine is what farmers would have cooked back in the day and nothing special, just simple peasant food.

being directly next to italy though <3 I love pasta and pizza so much

Used to hate going to my partners mums house for christmas, always something with meat like some weird stew or whatever.

luckily my partners sister was a vegan so I just had lentil soup or whatever she had cooked for her lol

You can not beat a traditional english Sunday roast/Christmas dinner!

Soldato
doesn't Germany have hundreds of varieties of sausage though and it will probably vary wildly from area to area.

I'd imagine German cuisine ain't all that different to Switzerland where most of the local cuisine is what farmers would have cooked back in the day and nothing special, just simple peasant food.

being directly next to italy though <3 I love pasta and pizza so much

Used to hate going to my partners mums house for christmas, always something with meat like some weird stew or whatever.

luckily my partners sister was a vegan so I just had lentil soup or whatever she had cooked for her lol

You can not beat a traditional english Sunday roast/Christmas dinner!

Some sausages are ok, like Nürnburgers which make a great sausage butty.

As you say, most German cuisine is peasant food, I was watching the Delia shows from the 70s on iPlayer, they haven't moved on in the last 40 years, it's all brown, bread and cheap meat.

The Italian food in Germany is fantastic though, miles better than any of the nonsense pretending to be Italian here. And the Japanese, Chinese and Korean food (I'm Düsseldorf at least) is 100% authentic, not like our anglicised versions.

Associate
I recently had some Butcher's sausages delivered by https://imsofsmithfield.com/ and they were fantastic. One of the best I have had. Worth trying out but you will probably to order other meats at the same time to account for the postage.

Not large, normal sausage size, but good value and tasty

Last edited:
Soldato
Apparently the Donner kebabs are great in Germany, any know anything about that?

Yeah, i've heard that a few times. Not something i've tried though. I always thought it was odd that everyone talked about donner kebabs when they visit our offices from Germany.

There's a "posh" donner place opened up not far from me which is tempting me at the moment.

This place, seems regional.

https://www.germandonerkebab.com/

God dammit i'm getting hungry. Just look at that Donner Crunch burger!

Permabanned
OP
So odd, literally just finished a treat uber eats order from there! There's one in Birmingham City centre near Oasis market. Really, really enjoyed it. Had the mixed sandwich flatbread type thing pictured on the site there. Flavour is a lot deeper compared to the usual chip shop affair and it came really well presented.

Back
Top Bottom