ventilation in kitchen legislation

Soldato
Does any exist?

So for years I have had gas safety checks, the guy turned a blind eye to the window issue as he respected I wanted fresh air. In return I agreed to have it shut when heating was on.

The issue is/was that the boiler is in a stupid place, the exhaust for it is right below the kitchen window, and safety rules say thats too dangerous.

This time a new guy came, and he didnt consult with me or anything about options, he just bolted the window and left.

The property has very poor ventilation in general, bathroom has no window and just a tiny extraction, fan, the room next to bathroom is the kitchen which now has no useable window, oly the other end of the property has windows but they not very good and open in a way that doesnt let much air in, I cannot find a diagram on the net which matches how they are but basically they open so the bottom part moves out and top stays in, and its only the top part of the window, unless its very windy there is no air circulation from them, also now my only windows all face the main road which is noisy, the kitchen window didnt add noise to the property and was always cooler air as it had no sunlight as well. It also opened sideways and was the entire window that opened, so was a lot more fresh air from it.

I know there is regulation for bathroom ventilation, which I am not even sure if my property complies with, but what about kitchens?

Even if there is no regulation what would you guys do if you had use of the window for several years then someone came round and bolted it shut without consultation?

Soldato
Even if there is no regulation what would you guys do if you had use of the window for several years then someone came round and bolted it shut without consultation?

i would remove the bolts, job jobbed..

Soldato
OP
Well I said bolted shut, what he appears to have done is removed the handle, I dont know if he has applied anything else, but there is basically now no handle. It uses some kind of latching mechanism, on the handle I had to press the button down to open it, so I dont think its a DIY job to fix it, needs some kind of kind of knowledge on how these windows work.

I will take a photo of it, and if you know how to get it useable again I am prepared to do it myself as I think this is bull****.

xCHvrZQ.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato

Things change, legislation exists about the position of the gas flue, he has removed the handle so the window cant open as it is not considered safe to do so, presumably to stop carbon monoxide amongst other things blowing into the house and killing someone. Gas engineers turning a blind eye is never good.

Soldato
OP
Things change, legislation exists about the position of the gas flue, he has removed the handle so the window cant open as it is not considered safe to do so, presumably to stop carbon monoxide amongst other things blowing into the house and killing someone. Gas engineers turning a blind eye is never good.

The boiler should be moved really, if given the option I probably would have asked for the boiler to be disconnected in the mean time. I have long stopped using it for central heating anyway given it breaks down every time I do, so it was only been used for water, and I do have an electric water heater.

So regardless the approach was wrong, turning up and just bolting a window shut like that without talking to the person who lives there first?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
So he stole your handle? That cant even be legal. I would be demanding it back!

You then need to get the flue redesigned, why have you lived with it like this :confused:

Soldato
OP
Yeah I rent.

Will be moving out, but obviously given covid etc. I cant just do it tommorow, but its going to be moved forward, I was probably going to live here for another year or two, but might bring it forward to 3-6 months now.

I ordered 2 handles, one of them has variable length spindles but doesnt come with screws, the other 40mm, and comes with screws. Given the metrics I am pretty sure it is espag type. The unknown is the spindle length.

Jez can a flue be moved/redesigned without moving the boiler?

Also it seems my LL isnt happy about how this has been handled.

I rang up the office after this happened, spoke to maintenance manager, her response was "so you want to give notice" like she couldnt me get me out quick enough, the call eventually ended with her saying she will speak to the other gas guy.

Then 10 mins ago I got a text out of the blue from my LL saying he has spoken to his manager and told her how this was handled is unacceptable, he said he will find a solution that involves keeping the window been usable. Which was nice, but I am going to move asap.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Yep for sure, assuming that the thing is still in manufacture of course. They can be extended via a flue extension kit :)

Soldato
OP
Thats interesting news, so basically it wouldnt necessarily be that expensive.

Also I will speculate the reason my LL texted me, is I expect work like this cannot be carried out without the tenant's agreement, I think the only thing the gas guy would have been able to do without consulting with me, is disconnect the gas, I am going to check with my sister who works for centrica.

Soldato
OP
Just had a call from the manager, who has completely changed her tone, she is still trying to get hold of the other safety guy but I dont think he will put his name to saying its ok because on paper as has been said here I think its not allowed. I told her the idea of modifying the flue and she took it with enthusiasm as well. So thanks for that idea.

So it looks like at least for now its de-escalated.

Soldato
Depending on how far below.the opening the flue vent is depends on if the window requires keeping closed.

http://support.ambirad.co.uk/article.aspx?id=10724

Section A fan draught is a modern combi boiler, (300mm below and opening) natural draught is a very old style boiler that has lots of other requirements for ventilation as well as flueing, deep ding on the size of boiler depends on th distance away from the opening.

Soldato
Yep for sure, assuming that the thing is still in manufacture of course. They can be extended via a flue extension kit :)

This, will raise the flue exit so its higher up.

I can understand him reporting it as you don't want the fumes coming back in but to just steal the handle is a bit off to say the least. Hopefully the letting agents will come good as ventilation in a kitchen is pretty damn important.

Soldato
OP
Weird that he just stole the handle lol.

I wonder if you could get around it for the inspection by just removing the handle yourself once a year, then when they're gone put it back :p

I do wonder if its anything to do with me telling him to put his mask on before coming in. It was pretty forceful, comes in, does the check, leaves with the handle.

But yeah if I do put the handle on, and I am here long enough for another check, the plan was to remove before they do it :)

Back
Top Bottom