Possible modern classic?

Associate
I am currently trying to decide if I want a 2nd car, a weekend toy something with a bit of go. With the whole current situation and unknown future of the car market, I had decided I would wait and see if the what the market does.

Then yesterday happened.

Maybe a bit of background, I previously owned a BMW 650i, only sold it as I changed jobs and need something more economical. So I got a VW Passat CC, for my daily and left the cash went into saving.
During the time I owned the 650i I would always end of talking to one of My parents neighbours, when I ever popped over to see my folks. He has owned e39 540i Msport for ten years and I must admit I have always admired it. It is still mint.

So this weekend it was my parents anniversary, so popped over and we spoke from a distance. The neighbour in questioned past by whilst walking his dog, said hi as I hadn’t seen him for ages. He was very chatty as usual, then he just dropped into the conversation that he was about sell his e39 540i after the current situation has lifted.

He wanted know if I was interested, when he puts it up sale? Even offered me first refusal, as knew it would go to a good home and someone who like a V8.

I am very tempted, I have always wanted e39 I even was tempted by 530d but decided against it at the time. The e39 M5 is already a modern classic, anyone think the lesser 540i would be in the near future?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Can't see anything less than the M cars (proper ones, not just ones with the badge and trim) being sought after classics.

Soldato
Why do you care if it’s a “modern classic” or not? If you want it and can afford it then go ahead, if not don’t. Don’t buy it on the assumption you will “make money” if it is a “classic”.

Soldato
The 540i manual is already commanding a decent premium down here. I'd love one, even an auto but doesn't make sense really from to go from a 530i. I've been told the fuel economy isn't all that different either, which I'm struggling to believe. I'm not sure how much of a toy it would be though? Getting from A to B over long distances it's still a joy, but chucking it around corners? Not sure.

Soldato
Are you buying this for shed money? If not, think long and hard about what your goals are with the car - keep forever, or try to sell in a few years when it becomes a “modern classic”? It’s a nice car, but keeping it in mint condition will cost plenty. A V8 5 series is a thing of beauty, but it’ll never command the same money or feelings as the M5. A quick look at late 80’s 5 series shows a handful of cars commanding at most mid teens. In other words, not mega money to get in to and even when they start to get rarer, they’re not crazy expensive.

Buy it because you love it and you know the car. Don’t buy it to invest in.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 540i manual is already commanding a decent premium down here. I'd love one, even an auto but doesn't make sense really from to go from a 530i. I've been told the fuel economy isn't all that different either, which I'm struggling to believe. I'm not sure how much of a toy it would be though? Getting from A to B over long distances it's still a joy, but chucking it around corners? Not sure.

Not only that but the 6 cylinders have a rack and pinion steering over a steering box of the V8's so they are a better drive as well.

Soldato
I bet they will. As we get closer to the EV deadline prices will keep climbing :\

Then when everyone has the car they want to be buried with it will stabilise.

Don
I've owned two E39 540is over the years. A 540i auto saloon and a 540i manual touring.
I honestly can't really see the 540i becoming much of a modern classic really beyond the fact that it's an E39. The 530i was the cream of the basic cars.

Soldato
The only way it'll be a modern classic is if you keep it in perfect condition, un-modified, without putting miles on the clock. Otherwise, it'll just end up another old banger / money pit.

Back
Top Bottom