• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would a RTX 2060 be good enough for a few years?

Soldato
I'm currently looking at buying something with a 2060 GPU however, I keep being told to avoid it and aim for the 2070 but it's a few hundred dearer.

The item is a gaming laptop so decided it was best to post here rather than the laptop sub forum.
The GPU is a full blown 2060 compared to a maxQ part.

It would be only used for 1080p on a 17" screen. No larger external screens. What's your thoughts? Would the extra 2Gb vram be an issue shortly?

Soldato
The 2060 will do well, don't stress about it. I would heavily advise you to find specific reviews of said laptop though. Laptop world is a whole 'nother ball game compared to desktop in terms of what you're actually getting vs what it says on the box due to being so heavily restricted by the cooling design.

Caporegime
I'm currently looking at buying something with a 2060 GPU however, I keep being told to avoid it and aim for the 2070 but it's a few hundred dearer.

The item is a gaming laptop so decided it was best to post here rather than the laptop sub forum.
The GPU is a full blown 2060 compared to a maxQ part.

It would be only used for 1080p on a 17" screen. No larger external screens. What's your thoughts? Would the extra 2Gb vram be an issue shortly?
It should be fine at 1080p with High details on newer games, Ultra on older games, for the next couple of years as long as Ray Tracing isn't enabled. :)

Soldato
Don't buy the 2060 now, wait for the new lineup in a couple of months. Same price or maybe slightly more. But a lot more oomph (hopefully).

OP missed a vital piece of info. Its a laptop. You can work that out from the post. 2060 in a laptop will last for ages especially when its a full version and on a 1080p screen. Definitely good purchase OP.

Whats most important is how quiet it is and how hot it gets, ie you dont want one that toasts your hands because the keyboard gets reall hot.

Waiting for the next gen this year does not come into it when purchasing a laptop as there is no news when the mobile part will be incorporated/released.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone.
The laptop in question gets good reported thermals with no throttling. It would be paired with a 4800H on a 17.3" 144hz screen.
I guess I had been reading too much internet as had read people staying that 6gb vram wouldn't last but then again my brother has a 970which still plays games pretty well.
I just didn't want to spend a chunk of money for it to be obsolete in 3 years time.

Caporegime
Thanks everyone.
The laptop in question gets good reported thermals with no throttling. It would be paired with a 4800H on a 17.3" 144hz screen.
I guess I had been reading too much internet as had read people staying that 6gb vram wouldn't last but then again my brother has a 970which still plays games pretty well.
I just didn't want to spend a chunk of money for it to be obsolete in 3 years time.
Well you dont say which laptop youre looking at or your budget so it shard to give more detailed feedback or recommendations.

Soldato
Thanks everyone.

Unless you absolutely need to purchase a laptop right now, eg for work purposes or you have no PC are all, I would at least wait until the new AMD and Nvidia cards are released.

There may be price drops all around.

And all tech gets obsolete, sooner or later.

Soldato
OP
Well you dont say which laptop youre looking at or your budget so it shard to give more detailed feedback or recommendations.

It's a Tong fang chassis laptop which is sold by XMG. Core 17 it's called.

Unless you absolutely need to purchase a laptop right now, eg for work purposes or you have no PC are all, I would at least wait until the new AMD and Nvidia cards are released.

I don't absolutely need one right away, it was just for gaming on the go at work when I'm away from home. I've gone months without my one and have just been taking my PS4 to fill the void.

How long do I wait though?

Caporegime
It's a Tong fang chassis laptop which is sold by XMG. Core 17 it's called.

I don't absolutely need one right away, it was just for gaming on the go at work when I'm away from home. I've gone months without my one and have just been taking my PS4 to fill the void.

How long do I wait though?
You will be waiting ages for new laptop GPU's, probably end of Q1 2020. What's your max budget as I asked above?

Soldato

The mobile parts dont get released same time as desktop, could be at least another year before the 3xxx series appears in mobile, and if what every one is saying its going to be power hungry it may and I say may run really hot in laptops so they may only offer cut down versions. Has been known in laptops that next gen GPU's have not been faster than previous gen GPU's due to Full v mobile GPU's released.

Nothing stopping you buying a gaming laptop now.

OCUK just had offers on the new Aorus ones in Latest News section. So companies bringing out new models now.

As said before you cant compare Gaming Laptops to Desktops its a different type of thing game wise.

Soldato
OP
You will be waiting ages for new laptop GPU's, probably end of Q1 2020. What's your max budget as I asked above?

Sorry, I must have missed that. Budget is around £1300. As I don't need any SSDs or Windows, I can take that out of my order. The Core 17 with 32GB RAM, 4800H + 2060 refresh GPU will set me back around £1150.
If I went down the 2070 GPU route, it will cost at least £1,500.

The mobile parts dont get released same time as desktop, could be at least another year before the 3xxx series appears in mobile, and if what every one is saying its going to be power hungry it may and I say may run really hot in laptops so they may only offer cut down versions. Has been known in laptops that next gen GPU's have not been faster than previous gen GPU's due to Full v mobile GPU's released.

Nothing stopping you buying a gaming laptop now.

OCUK just had offers on the new Aorus ones in Latest News section. So companies bringing out new models now.

As said before you cant compare Gaming Laptops to Desktops its a different type of thing game wise.

I had heard that laptop tech usually comes out about a year after the desktop counterparts but this is just from internet reading.

Caporegime
Sorry, I must have missed that. Budget is around £1300. As I don't need any SSDs or Windows, I can take that out of my order. The Core 17 with 32GB RAM, 4800H + 2060 refresh GPU will set me back around £1150.
If I went down the 2070 GPU route, it will cost at least £1,500.

I had heard that laptop tech usually comes out about a year after the desktop counterparts but this is just from internet reading.
Yup then with that budget better to stay with an RTX 2060, as long as it is the full-fat one and not the Max-Q which is lower power and lower performance (you can google the differences).

Soldato
OP
Yup then with that budget better to stay with an RTX 2060, as long as it is the full-fat one and not the Max-Q which is lower power and lower performance (you can google the differences).

That's what I figured. Its the full refreshed version that it will come with so at least thats something. The £1500 for the 2070 would be a maxQ version, I think it would be a few hundred more for the full version.

Back
Top Bottom