43" 4k monitors

Associate
I'm wanting a new monitor, making a step up from my 27" 1440p 60hz monitor.

I want something bigger, 4k and a higher refresh rate, so the only option here seems to be the 43" screens.

I think there are two options - the asus pg43uq or the acer cg437kp. Of the two, I can't find many hands on reviews for the asus and comments on the Acer are a bit hit and miss.

So who has either of these and what are the thoughts? Which is better?

Also, how are you using it given the size - a daily desktop or something you game on from a distance?

Sadly, I think my ideal screen is a 36" one. But they don't exist.

Associate
I had acer cg437kp. It was definitely not worth the money. Very bad ghosting in games and text was fuzzy in windows as they actually have TV panels and not computer monitor panels. I cant imagine asus being any better. There are some other threads about them in this forum with not good reviews.

To me the 43" was not very ergonomic, your neck gets quite strained from having to look up.

There are some 38" ultrawide screens and if you really want a big 16:9 monitor then the new LG CX 48" tv is pretty solid option as well.

Associate
OP
I'd seen your comments in other threads. 48" would definitely be too big.

I'd go ultra wide but the biggest are no taller than my 27" so I'd not be gaining anything in that dimension in terms of size or resolution. Gaining horizontally of course. I'm also put off by curved due to colour shift.

So assuming 32" is the size to go, I either get a 60hz 4k or 144hz 1440p. Then within that it's a case if finding the best HDR variant and g-sync, all balanced with price cos I'd not want to spend top money for something that was a stop gap for 5 years.

Associate
OP
80% desktop (working from home, lightroom, films, music recording) 20% gaming (casual stuff, rts, driving, gta etc. No competitive fps stuff). Gaming might increase a bit in the future as kids get older.

Associate
OP
Love my 43" monitor, took so getting used to but now, I wouldnt change it for the world tbh.

Which model do you have? Did you have issues with some of the things picked up in the reviews, like ghosting etc?

Tom's hardware review of the predator is pretty favorable.

Soldato
Which model do you have? Did you have issues with some of the things picked up in the reviews, like ghosting etc?

Tom's hardware review of the predator is pretty favorable.

I have the ASUS XG438Q ROG 43" monitor. There is a little ghosting but nothing major. For the size, resolution and refresh rate, it plays games from CS GO to Division 2 great. NO complaints, although very expensive, but for me, worth the money.

Associate
OP
I have the ASUS XG438Q ROG 43" monitor. There is a little ghosting but nothing major. For the size, resolution and refresh rate, it plays games from CS GO to Division 2 great. NO complaints, although very expensive, but for me, worth the money.

Thanks

What distance do you sit from it? And how is ordinary desktop usage?

Soldato
Thanks

What distance do you sit from it? And how is ordinary desktop usage?

I sit around two feet from the screen. Your head does move around a little bit, but im used to it now, and ordinary usage is fine for me.

I bought this in the know, if I didnt adapt to it I could return it, but that didnt happen. So if you were unsure you could "try-it-out" but remember one thing..the box is an absolute beast!

Associate
OP
I sit around two feet from the screen. Your head does move around a little bit, but im used to it now, and ordinary usage is fine for me.

I bought this in the know, if I didnt adapt to it I could return it, but that didnt happen. So if you were unsure you could "try-it-out" but remember one thing..the box is an absolute beast!

Thanks.

I assume most of the game action happens on the middle of the screen, especially for fast paced stuff. For RTS, I'm guessing it's a bit easier to sit back. And for normal desktop use, well you don't have to run apps full screen and can size to suit.

I'd rather do the research than mess a company around with returns. It's just such a big decision literally.

Still tempted to bridge the gap for a few more years with a 32"

Associate
80% desktop (working from home, lightroom, films, music recording) 20% gaming (casual stuff, rts, driving, gta etc. No competitive fps stuff). Gaming might increase a bit in the future as kids get older.

What about Samsung Odyssey G7 at 32" size? Reviews are not out yet though but so far looks promising. Price is great too.

If 34" UW vertical size is too small, what about 38"? With the 43" I really hated the bad ergonomics of having to look up a lot, looking left and right is much more natural.

Associate
OP
What about Samsung Odyssey G7 at 32" size? Reviews are not out yet though but so far looks promising. Price is great too.

If 34" UW vertical size is too small, what about 38"? With the 43" I really hated the bad ergonomics of having to look up a lot, looking left and right is much more natural.

I've been looking around for a 38" UW too, preferably at 1600p, but can't seem to find many options. There's the LG 38GL950 but that's £1,700 and not as high-spec as the 43" screens, particularly in terms of the HDR. Although I see there are a couple of other LG options at the same size, lower price and with better HDR. Perhaps I'm being overly concerned about HDR and just getting caught up in review hype rather than real-world performance. I mean I've got this far in life without having an HDR monitor, but then this whole process is about getting something better. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

The G7 does look tempting and has a super-fast refresh rate and HDR600. I'm still not sure about curved monitors though - I'm reading there are colour shift issues which would be annoying when doing any Lightroom work (not that I'm a pro photographer and I'm colour blind in any case - another issue with focusing too much on reviews I'm sure!) Perhaps this is the answer, especially as a £500 stop-gap. I mean 4k is over-hyped right, especially when I have two 4K TVs in the house for watching films on.

Associate
I've been looking around for a 38" UW too, preferably at 1600p, but can't seem to find many options. There's the LG 38GL950 but that's £1,700 and not as high-spec as the 43" screens, particularly in terms of the HDR. Although I see there are a couple of other LG options at the same size, lower price and with better HDR. Perhaps I'm being overly concerned about HDR and just getting caught up in review hype rather than real-world performance. I mean I've got this far in life without having an HDR monitor, but then this whole process is about getting something better. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe this is the one for you? It has HDR600
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...ed-widescreen-led-backlit-gami-mo-15n-lg.html

The G7 does look tempting and has a super-fast refresh rate and HDR600. I'm still not sure about curved monitors though - I'm reading there are colour shift issues which would be annoying when doing any Lightroom work (not that I'm a pro photographer and I'm colour blind in any case - another issue with focusing too much on reviews I'm sure!) Perhaps this is the answer, especially as a £500 stop-gap. I mean 4k is over-hyped right, especially when I have two 4K TVs in the house for watching films on.

This is a VA panel so the curve actually needed to prevent colour shift. VA panels have really poor viewing angles so the curve is there to prevent it.

Maybe the Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQ (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...descreen-curved-gaming-monitor-mo-0ac-as.html) would fit the bill? But I'd probably want G-Sync right?

Why not, very affordable.

Final recommendation: wait until the new LG 38 monitors and Samsung G7 and G9 reviews are out and then make a decision! ;) Shouldn't be too long

Associate
OP
Maybe this is the one for you? It has HDR600
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...ed-widescreen-led-backlit-gami-mo-15n-lg.html

This is a VA panel so the curve actually needed to prevent colour shift. VA panels have really poor viewing angles so the curve is there to prevent it.

Why not, very affordable.

Final recommendation: wait until the new LG 38 monitors and Samsung G7 and G9 reviews are out and then make a decision! ;) Shouldn't be too long

Thanks.

The 38" LG is quite tempting and ticks pretty much all the boxes (other than 2160p) although it is £1,000 more than the ASUS 32". I'd definitely get the sense of it being a bigger screen and having a higher resolution, more so than going to 32". But maybe the answer is to hold fire just that little bit longer - there are worse things than "putting up" with a 27" IPS screen.

Back
Top Bottom