Motorway speed vibration

Soldato
Soldato
Hi all,

I have an odd issue on my Mk4.5 Ford Mondeo. It is the 2.0TDCI 163PS with powershift box.

At 70-80mph, I have steering wheel wobble, and at all motorway speeds the car never "settles" - it has a jitter which doesn't upset the balance, but just never feels "smooth". At low speeds, absolutely fine.

Wheel balancing you say. I've had the wheels balanced 2-3 times (at the same garage) and no help.
He also suggested some new front suspension arms - had these replaced with delphi arms. This tightened the steering up nicely, but still the same issue.

The front and rear wheels have been swapped over - slight improvement but nothing really.
I had this issue with my previous tyres and the current ones - random mix match before and now 4x michelin PS4.
Car has just ticked over 75000 miles.
What could it be?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Wobble at certain speeds its almost always bad wheel balance.

Was going to say this - but noticed you have had this done three times, so assuming the garage is competent it would be unusual for them to fudge this over a few repeated attempts.

Just thinking out loud - has the car ever been involved in an accident? (Chassis, Axle, Driveshaft damage etc....).

Soldato
That can be caused by a slightly buckled wheel, it can be balanced to look fine on the machine but if the wheel isn't perfectly round it can cause that kind of feeling.

Edit: But actually as you've swapped back to front probably not that

Could be lots of other suspension related stuff too though :(

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Was going to say this - but noticed you have had this done three times, so assuming the garage is competent it would be unusual for them to fudge this over a few repeated attempts.

Just thinking out loud - has the car ever been involved in an accident? (Chassis, Axle, Driveshaft damage etc....).
No accidents I am aware of

Caporegime
Have the exact same issue in my Ford ranger. Have done the same things as you. Wheels balanced at two different places. Have swapped front to back etc. Only difference is mine does it between 55 and 65.
Constant pull to the left as well. Alignment has been checked repeatedly and is fine.

Man of Honour
Have the exact same issue in my Ford ranger. Have done the same things as you. Wheels balanced at two different places. Have swapped front to back etc. Only difference is mine does it between 55 and 65.
Constant pull to the left as well. Alignment has been checked repeatedly and is fine.

It's an off road builders utility lorry, it's not going to glide along on the motorway like an S Class is it? :p

mjt

mjt

Soldato
My A6 has had this for ages. When replacing the front tyres last year, I saw that the wheel was clearly no longer round :(

Soldato
I had it on a Focus ST for a while. Eventually got fed up of the tyre fitter failing and took it to Ford. They removed all of the weights from one of the wheels as it never needed them. Was fine after that.

Soldato
That can be caused by a slightly buckled wheel, it can be balanced to look fine on the machine but if the wheel isn't perfectly round it can cause that kind of feeling.

Edit: But actually as you've swapped back to front probably not that

Could be lots of other suspension related stuff too though :(

Nah I bet it is this. It'll still rattle a bit even swapped.

If definitely be checking to make sure the wheels are round, check the inside of the rims.

Soldato
Had a similar issue with my old Accord, wheels were balanced a number of times, tracking redone, front to back swap but nothing got rid of the vibration you'd get around 65mph. a few miles above or below and everything would be fine.

Finally sorted the issue by getting rid of the car :D

Back
Top Bottom