Guitarists - how do I make my electric guitar sound like one?

Soldato
Hi all,

Any guitarists here please?

I'm learning, only a beginner still. Following some online lessons.

I have an electric guitar and an AMP, but I can't make the guitar sound like an electric guitar. It going to be hard to describe, but it still sounds more like an accoustic guitar, unless i turn up the distortion/gain and then it sounds like a distorted metal guitar sound, which isn't what I want either.

Watch the first 20 to 30 seconds of these videos, this is what sound I want to make:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gH2ouD9aAw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4bdKXdGHmM

I'm assuming I need to change some settings on my amp but have messed about with it and cannot create the sound.

Anyone help?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Probably best to learn the basics before you go tone hunting.

Yeah i don't want to spend any more money yet. However the reason I bought an electric guitar rather than an accoustic is because I wanted the electric guitar sound to be able to have more fun with it.

My amp has loads of dials on it, but I cant seem to recreate that clean electric sound like in those videos. I can get a distorted sound easy enough by bumping the amp up to over drive or crunch.

Soldato
what amp is it?

does it have effects built in?

most amps have reverb - that gives an 'electric guitar' sound

both the videos you posted have a distorted/driven sound btw...they're not what you'd call clean

Last edited:

Pez

Pez

Soldato
Hi all,

Any guitarists here please?

I'm learning, only a beginner still. Following some online lessons.

I have an electric guitar and an AMP, but I can't make the guitar sound like an electric guitar. It going to be hard to describe, but it still sounds more like an accoustic guitar, unless i turn up the distortion/gain and then it sounds like a distorted metal guitar sound, which isn't what I want either.

Watch the first 20 to 30 seconds of these videos, this is what sound I want to make:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gH2ouD9aAw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4bdKXdGHmM

I'm assuming I need to change some settings on my amp but have messed about with it and cannot create the sound.

Anyone help?

Thanks

Bass/Middle/Treble: Set to 12 o'clock.
Gain/Drive: 10/11 o'clock.
Reverb (if available): 10 o'clock

That'll get you somewhere close to both of those, push the gain up for a little more sustain but you'll loose clarity.

However, to get a really nice drive sound, you'll likely need more kit - Practice first :)

Soldato
OP
what amp is it?

does it have effects built in?

most amps have reverb - that gives an 'electric guitar' sound

both the videos you posted have a distorted/driven sound btw...they're not what you'd call clean

Its this one: https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/products/idcore-stereo-10

Yes it does have effects built in controlled by various knobs. I've been looking through the manual, I can get all sorts of effects but not the sound I'm trying to find! Everything I try tends to sound too distorted.

Hard to advise without hearing, can you name a song that has the sound you are looking for?

Maybe this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MwxeYnyrRs

I would describe that as not an accoustic sound, but not distorted or 'metal' either.

@Pez thanks, will try those and continue experimenting.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi again, thanks for the replies so far.

Ive improved things a lot now. Some of it was not understanding what my amp was doing. When I switched it on, it was starting up not with the same settings as I had previously 'dialed in'. So when ive improved the sound and then switched it off, its lost all that and reverted back to previous settings.

I was also confused by the patch mode on the amp. It was storing settings somehow but i don't know how exactly, as I hadn't programmed it with anything. It doesn't seem easy to turn effects on and off even though there are buttons.

Also a big part of my problem appears to be the volume. I didn't realise this but it seems the volume knob on the guitar has to be loud to make the guitar sound more electric? I had the volume fairly quiet because of the neighbours. If I crank the volume up, it sounds much more like I want (although too loud really for practicing in the evening).

Soldato
yeah turn the volume/tone on the guitar full up and try the different pickup settings...adjust the volume level (how loud it is) with the amp

it's a modelling/digital amp so you should be able to get the same tone at very low volume as you would if it's turned up loud

maybe the headphone out isn't that good but again because it's a modelling amp it should be much the same as through the speakers

Soldato
The whole package. Guitar, amp and effects.
I used to have a korg a5 effects board, you could get some good sounds but you need good pickups and the right amp also.

It gets pricey, these top guys on YouTube maybe spend over £10,000 to get that sound. And the rest.

Man of Honour

I've got a bigger version of that amp I used on stage for 5 years or more and they will do any sound you want.

For starters you will need to be on either OD1 or OD2 on the Voice setting.
Try the EQ in the middle setting (I have 3 other controls on mine).
Leave volume on 12.
Now start the Gain around 9 o'clock and start moving it up slowly.
The EQ is based on an American amp on one side and a British amp on the other side so mess with that also.
Somebody already mentioned you can plug the amp in via USB and download tones for it from Blackstar.

Back
Top Bottom