Just purchased my first gaming computer from Overclockers - advice requested :)

Associate
As its new might Windows be doing some updates or background tasks like indexing or scans? Have a look in task manager when it happens next and check your power management profiles to make sure nothing is going into standby.

Caporegime
If anything is overclocked I would look towards that, according to Intel spec sheets the 9900K only officially supports 2666mhz memory so I would try tuning it down, if you can identify the culprit it will make RMA easier.

Don
My computer which is the following spec (which arrived from OcUk today - new purchase built by OcUk):

Your selected configuration:
Phanteks Eclipse P400 Air Midi Tower DRGB Case - Black
Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail
Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
**Special Offer** Bullguard Internet Security - Anti-Virus and Security - 1 Year 3 PC
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card

What PSU and CPU Cooler?
What are temperatures like?

should have got a 2080ti for csgo
LOL

I'd go and ask the company that built it on the appropriate forum.
Indeed, it would be worth posting in here for some official help
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/ocuk-customer-service.116/

Associate
OP
Okay so here is an update:

I spoke with Overclockers, and we started by eliminating things. Hard drive etc. Got to the graphics card and I took it out, and it was still crashing... so not the graphics card. Power unit is brand new can't imagine its that. Then disaster strikes... the pc isn't even turning on! And it's just crashing on load all that kind of stuff.

I then went into the BIOS when I could finally get there and turned the internal fans from Normal up to turbo and it SEEMS to be working okay, and I am not crashing in game. Of course I need to test this for a longer to see what happens, we will see...

Failing this... I will have to return for repair 1 day in :( Sad I know, but if this doesn't work I have no idea what's causing the crashes. I also stuck a big fan up the backside of the stack to push even more clean cool air through it. It's got like 6 fans in it already though ¬_¬

Update again soon.

Associate
OP
Update:

So far so good. It hasn't crashed on me. Pretty sure it was an overheating problem. Turning the fans up, and sticking a big fan at the back of it blowing cold air seems to have done the trick!

Do you think I should let Overclockers know that the build that I ordered, didn't have enough cooling in the machine? Although it does have 4 fans at the front, and two on the graphics card.. it was still overheating.

Associate
Update:

So far so good. It hasn't crashed on me. Pretty sure it was an overheating problem. Turning the fans up, and sticking a big fan at the back of it blowing cold air seems to have done the trick!

Do you think I should let Overclockers know that the build that I ordered, didn't have enough cooling in the machine? Although it does have 4 fans at the front, and two on the graphics card.. it was still overheating.

I'd be sending it back and getting them to sort it out. A 2k+ pc crashing out the box isn't good to be honest

Associate
OP
Update:

Unfortunately it's still crashing. I think it's a broken watercooling pump, as it's fine for about 5 hours then starts freezing. Although checking temperatures everything looks fine, so meh.

Going to have to send it back. Very frustrating seeing as I only got it new on Monday after 4 weeks of waiting for the build. >:E

Ah well, I'll call OCuK up tomorrow.

Soldato
Is this the build you ordered?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Gaming Firefly Enthusiast - Intel Core i7 9700K, GeForce RTX 2070 Super = £2,253.98
    • Case:phanteks Eclipse P400 Air Midi Tower DRGB Case - Black
    • CPU:Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey
    • Solid State Drive:Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
    • Solid State Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
    • Security Software:**Special Offer** Bullguard Internet Security - Anti-Virus and Security - 1 Year 3 PC
    • Graphics Card:MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • WIFI:Unwanted
Total: £2,268.08 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

If so, get them to change the PSU to something decent, like this for example.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £100.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Looks like the one included in the build is a Kolink.

If you take the metal side panel off, you should be able to see what PSU is in it.

Associate
OP
Update:

Okay so after a month and 10 days ... I've been through the following. Waited 4 weeks for my build to be done, and sent it back to them due to the freezing issues with my new build that Overclockers built. They did numerous tests on the pc, and replaced the PSU and the Motherboard... and I am still getting freezes, after they have sent it back to me. It's a brand new pc for ... f sake lol.

I am now finding myself in a position of despair. I'm only playing CS:GO... and its freezing again. Also freezes in other games and freezes even when booting.

Any advice? I am literally on the verge of sending it back, getting a refund... and purchasing an entire new system. This one is cursed... or the repair team at Overclockers ... aren't doing the job.

Totally dissapointed. Still holding off on the bad review, in the hope anyone here can help?

Soldato
Id be sending it back, getting a refund. Seems you tried everything else. If you were in folkestone id let you borrow my spare pc untill sorted. Good luck

Soldato
Update:

Okay so after a month and 10 days ... I've been through the following. Waited 4 weeks for my build to be done, and sent it back to them due to the freezing issues with my new build that Overclockers built. They did numerous tests on the pc, and replaced the PSU and the Motherboard... and I am still getting freezes, after they have sent it back to me. It's a brand new pc for ... f sake lol.

I am now finding myself in a position of despair. I'm only playing CS:GO... and its freezing again. Also freezes in other games and freezes even when booting.

Any advice? I am literally on the verge of sending it back, getting a refund... and purchasing an entire new system. This one is cursed... or the repair team at Overclockers ... aren't doing the job.

Totally dissapointed. Still holding off on the bad review, in the hope anyone here can help?
Sounds like a ram issue.

Back
Top Bottom