Ps4 Pro downloads sooo slow

Soldato
Hi,
Is it usual for the ps4 to be sooo slow at downloading an update?, its estimated 12 hours to download version 1.23 of cod MW update that's 83GB, sure 83 gb is a lot but that would have taken half hour if that on my pc when I had it, as I have nearly 400mbps virgin download?

Soldato
Hi,
Is it usual for the ps4 to be sooo slow at downloading an update?, its estimated 12 hours to download version 1.23 of cod MW update that's 83GB, sure 83 gb is a lot but that would have taken half hour if that on my pc when I had it, as I have nearly 400mbps virgin download?

Sometimes I find it quicker to put the PS4 in shutdown to background download it,

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Hi,

Is it connected via ethernet?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Ok, only asking as I used to get slow speeds using the WiFi but connected via ethernet it's usually fast. I'm on virgin too albeit 200mbps.

Soldato
If you are playing a game whilst trying to download it will always slow the speed down. Even if it's not an online game. Dunno why it does that.

Could be a few things

* download service doesn't know you're not playing an online game so it cuts down the bandwidth for the download service to keep the game smooth
* hard drive is too slow to copy files and stream data from the game
* cpu is too slow to decrypt files at full speed and render the game

Associate
This used to happen to me iirc there are a lot of reports of the ps4 having terrible download speeds.

The fix I used was to run a local proxy server and point the PS4 at that, speeds were massively improved.

Soldato
I still get this a lot on my ps4, it's been happening for years. Everything else in the house connects at or around the 72mbps except the ps4. Even when directly connected via ethernet, it always hovers around 20mbps max. I've seen as low as 400kbps on WiFi.

I'll have to try the local proxy server suggested above and see the difference.

Associate
Hi,

Sony's servers have always been terrible. The OS is a bit weird/slow with updating games as well. It's almost as if it's rebuilding the game due to asset streaming performance being reliant on the HDD.

Back
Top Bottom