Extending wifi from ethernet extension

Associate
Downstairs I have a Virginmedia Hub 3. From there I run an ethernet cable to a TP Link ethernet switch/hub network splitter. One cable goes from here to my desktop. Another cable runs from there up through the wall to provide an ethernet connection in my spare room/office upstairs. In the room above that, my son uses wifi for his devices but the signal is weak - it comes from the Hub downstairs.
Can I boost the wifi by attaching a router to the ethernet cable in the room below his?
Is there a way to boost the wifi signal in this way (or another if that's not possible) using a simple setup? I've tried to find info online and when it goes to set up using the IP address etc I get lost due to tech ignorance!
Thanks very much

Associate
Yes, you can definitely do that, I did the same not too long ago, i got a netgear EX7000-100UKS which I use as a wifi extender, I had hoped to use it as an ethernet switch and wifi extender but it doesn't work like that, but for your job that would be fine :) I didn't find it too hard to set up

Associate
OP
I got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/WAVLINK-du...omputers&sprefix=wavlink,computers,155&sr=1-4

The problem is its wifi signal is very weak. I wanted to have something that would allow me an ehternet link for my upstairs desktop but also to provide a more powerful wifi signal. Did I get the wrong thing or might I have configured the router wrongly? For some reason, in my son's room it says the virginmedia signal is weak and it has an upload speed of 45mbps. IfI switch to this router it says the signal is strong and the upload speed is 2-3 mbps! Any ideas would be very much appreciated! Thanks

Soldato
Let’s start with the obvious, run a cable up to his room, plug it into a switch and then plug an AP (that ideally isn’t awful), you can now connect his wired devices at full speed, and have perfect WiFi coverage.

Soldato
I know **** all about networking, so I bought a "BT mini whole home" mesh system and it's solved my coverage issues. Dead easy to set up too.

Would that not be a reasonable option for OP's use case. Not especially expensive, at £75.

Back
Top Bottom