Lowest power draw PC

Soldato
Hey all,

Currently converting a campervan and would like to get a little PC set up for rainy evenings to play some rocket league or older/indie games.

After doing some reading and especially this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/vandweller...ng_pc_gaming_it_is_possible/?ref=search_posts

I think the bit at the bottom about the 35w i5 Skylake, HDPLEX Psu & rx 460 powered via 12v DV would suit well.

Although that is three years ago, would anyone have an idea of a more modern build which might have more power for similar or less power draw?

I've look at laptops but they seem to draw up to 150-160w which when powered via an inverter and the loss in efficiency due to that would really hammer even a big battery set up :(

Associate
I suspect your best bet would be one of the ASUS PN50 Barebone Mini PC's which use the 15-25w Ryzen laptop chips. A quick google should fine them, just add memory and a nvme card.

Associate
These look perfect, any idea if they support a GPU or would the Ryzen be enough to run things like Rocket League etc?

https://www.engadget.com/2020-01-06-amd-ryzen-4000-laptop-chips.html mentions it with regards to the 4800u

Y3JvcD0xNDQzJTJDNzQyJTJDMCUyQzAmcXVhbGl0eT04NSZmb3JtYXQ9anBnJnJlc2l6ZT0xNjAwJTJDODIzJmltYWdlX3VyaT1odHRwcyUzQSUyRiUyRnMueWltZy5jb20lMkZvcyUyRmNyZWF0ci11cGxvYWRlZC1pbWFnZXMlMkYyMDIwLTAxJTJGOTI0YWE4ZDAtMzBlMi0xMWVhLTlhZmYtMTY0YmExNGQzNmE5JmNsaWVudD1hMWFjYWMzZTFiMzI5MDkxN2Q5MiZzaWduYXR1cmU9YTYwYzExNWY2ODkzYTQ3MTU5N2ZlNzg4ZGZlNDM4M2U4NDI3ZGIyMw==

Soldato
Don't think there is any dGPU support, the whole point is you use the APU.

So they're not geared to be great for gaming, but you could do some light 1080p gaming. Might have to crank settings down a bit on some newer titles.

But for a low power camper gaming rig, prob do you alright. Think stock due to land late Aug or Sep time?

Need to add RAM and either NVMe or SSD though (has M.2 slot and 2.5" bay for SSD/HDD)

Soldato
OP

Don't think there is any dGPU support, the whole point is you use the APU.

So they're not geared to be great for gaming, but you could do some light 1080p gaming. Might have to crank settings down a bit on some newer titles.

But for a low power camper gaming rig, prob do you alright. Think stock due to land late Aug or Sep time?

Need to add RAM and either NVMe or SSD though (has M.2 slot and 2.5" bay for SSD/HDD)

Superb, I think that'll fit the bill nicely!

Now, just to finish converting the thing! :eek:

I take it paying the extra for two 8gb sticks of 3200mhz SODIMM would pay dividends?

Something like the HyperX Impact?

Don
HP Desktop Mini
Lenovo Tiny
Dell Optiplex Micro

All of the above use DC adapters (although normally 19v/19.5v same as most laptops), and depending on Configuration require a 35W, 60W or 90W adapter.

There are versions of the above that do have a discrete graphics card (RX560X, or the soon to be released HP G6 models will have a GTX1660Ti), however they normal require a 135W or 150W adapter.

Soldato
Wouldn't a 4200G or something build be pretty good for this? Should be plenty of power for these types of games and should be pretty efficient on power, potentially could even undervolt it slightly.

Soldato
OP
HP Desktop Mini
Lenovo Tiny
Dell Optiplex Micro

All of the above use DC adapters (although normally 19v/19.5v same as most laptops), and depending on Configuration require a 35W, 60W or 90W adapter.

There are versions of the above that do have a discrete graphics card (RX560X, or the soon to be released HP G6 models will have a GTX1660Ti), however they normal require a 135W or 150W adapter.

Wouldn't a 4200G or something build be pretty good for this? Should be plenty of power for these types of games and should be pretty efficient on power, potentially could even undervolt it slightly.

Cheers for the replies gents :)

Will do some digging into these, although I think the Asus PN50 is the front runner at the moment! The 4800U seems to be a really powerful chip for such a tiny amount of power draw! Hoping I can find a way to power it direct from DC somehow, maybe using a DC-DV converter as hopefully this will mean less wasted efficiency than running from 240v :)

Man of Honour
I'm not sure how it translates to performance and power consumption, but the lower models have a mega-nerfed GPU according to the specs.

Associate
Cheers for the replies gents :)

Will do some digging into these, although I think the Asus PN50 is the front runner at the moment! The 4800U seems to be a really powerful chip for such a tiny amount of power draw! Hoping I can find a way to power it direct from DC somehow, maybe using a DC-DV converter as hopefully this will mean less wasted efficiency than running from 240v :)

If you are running 12V perhaps you can wire in a picoPSU in place of a standard atx supply in a little itx system with some well chosen components.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you are running 12V perhaps you can wire in a picoPSU in place of a standard atx supply in a little itx system with some well chosen components.

This is another option!

One thing with powering it via 12v I was wondering, is there a more robust plug than the usual 12v cig lighter plugs? Or will it need to be wired direct to a bus bar to the batteries with an inline switch?

Don
Soldato
OP
Soldato
I'd be a bit wary of running directly from the 12v batteries. The actual voltage will be as high as 15v on absorption. In fact, if you're planning a separate electrical system, I'd go 24 or even 48V. You can use much thinner/cheaper cable and your MPPT will give twice or four times the power. Then use a 24/48->12V DC/DC converter for a really stable 12V supply.

Associate
some of those little PSUs are designed for the carPC space are targeted to 12v connection, should be fine I would have thought they have wide voltage range 6v-36v for example.

Soldato
OP
I'd be a bit wary of running directly from the 12v batteries. The actual voltage will be as high as 15v on absorption. In fact, if you're planning a separate electrical system, I'd go 24 or even 48V. You can use much thinner/cheaper cable and your MPPT will give twice or four times the power. Then use a 24/48->12V DC/DC converter for a really stable 12V supply.

From my understanding, unless you've got a huge solar set up (1000w+) the efficiencies gained are lost by the DC-DC conversion, that and there's a much wider variety of 12v appliances such as water pumps, water heaters, compressor fridges etc etc?

Please correct me if i'm wrong though, it's been one hell of a learning experience so far already! :D

Back
Top Bottom