VR Headset recommendations.

Associate
Yeah thats right, another spec me a VR Headset thread. :D

So I have a Vive Cosmos, and while its been fun. Over all I am not happy with that headset, so it'll be going back. :(
My initial thoughts where, how bad can it be?

Well its front heavy, with the lens, screen and equipment.
And with the headset been hinged from the top, it never sits on my head, as I have placed it.
Meaning I can waste 3-5 minutes every time I place it on my head, to get a good picture. And some times never getting it right.

Granted that could be my inexperience, and having to wear glasses for been short sighted. Also I think having a right eye sitting higher than my left, meaning the headset has to be worn at a 2-3 degrees off, been perfectly flat.
The eye/screen sharpness issue is further compound by having lens with limited sweet spot range.. :rolleyes:
Having a manual IPD adjustment is great, and with having a 65mm ipd figure I am within that "normal" range.

I really like the controllers, good weight, and the batteries last 6-8 hours, even if you look like your conducting a rave, with the LED's strips.

The head and hand tracking is good in the day. Especially in summer, where its bright out until 9pm. But once the light fades at all, the rooms light + 2 extra lamps are on, and I still have really bad hand tracking. To the point I am trying to interact with virtual screens/buttons/toggle switches/joystick or throttle (VTOL VR flight sim) and my hands are glitching out. I have to just quit, as it becomes unplayable.
And don't even accidentally cover one of the cameras, as it'll complain about your environment been too dark, and force you to calibrate again. Which is another 2-3 minutes swinging my head on a swivel around the room, to centre its self. :o

I think I could live with it, if it was the only headset on the market. But when there's cheaper options that perform better, and more expensive options that far out class it, why would I keep a half complete/functioning product at £700?

So I am asking for suggestions, or alternative headsets, I may have overlooked. Ideally one I can purchase now, for immediate replacement, of Vive headset. But ultimately I am still leaning towards the Valve Index for long-term ownership. I have a powerful pc, but come the holidays, I plan to buy a Navi2 or Ampere GPU, for the higher resolution/refresh needs of vr and modern games.

Valve Index: 144Hz LCD screen + Knuckle controllers.
I am still on the 8+ week, waiting list. :o

Vive Pro: 120Hz OLED Screen.
I could buy it tomorrow, but would still want to buy the valve knuckle controllers, making it a £1300+ item. :eek:

HP Reverb G2: 90Hz LCD screen and very affordable. Sadly September release.

Oculas Rift S: 80Hz LCD with no manual IPD adjustment. But might make a good backup headset.

Soldato
Buy the Rift S now. If you like it that gives you a headset to use while you are waiting for other options to appear.

If you don't like it, return it and you are no worse off than you are now.

Soldato
i got my rift S over a year ago and I love it and VR, however i would struggle to justify the step up to an index for a boost that is allot of £ per point.

Im sure it would be better but double+ the cost better?

That and my 1080 handles it all mostly pretty well (looking sideways at dirt rally 2.0) so for now im good.

But as always with PC stuff 20mins on the internet gets you thinking 3080ti and an index would be nice but theres always the point where it becomes abit about swinging your big e-penis around.

Soldato
i got my rift S over a year ago and I love it and VR, however i would struggle to justify the step up to an index for a boost that is allot of £ per point.

Im sure it would be better but double+ the cost better?

I'm lucky enough to have an Index (work bonus came in exactly at the right time, normally wouldn't be able to justify it), and it's a great headset. The clarity, FOV, sound, and comfort are incredible (though lens glare is awful).

But it's true that for the price of an Index you could buy a Rift S, AND a Quest, AND have over £100 left over for games.

Also the much praised Index Controllers aren't hugely better in games than the touch Controllers (and you can get handstrap mods for Touch to make them closer in function), plus ergonomically, the button and stick layout is worse. Also the Index controllers aren't as widely supported in games as the Oculus Touch because they're so new (but in games where they are properly supported they're very good).

Soldato
Wait for the g2, if you see any reviews on it, the consensus is that it destroys the index and the S, with dual 1440p screens for £499 in head tracking and 90hz, watch a"through the lens "video on the quality and its way beyond what you can buy now

Soldato
Wait for the g2, if you see any reviews on it, the consensus is that it destroys the index and the S, with dual 1440p screens for £499 in head tracking and 90hz, watch a"through the lens "video on the quality and its way beyond what you can buy now

G2 is actually 2160x2160 screens. No idea how they are getting this to run at high frame rate with a 2070s

Associate
What games do you want to play?
Why are you unhappy with the cosmos, is it just the tracking, how about getting the elite tracking
If it's fps the tracking using basestations will be the best so either index or HTC pro or even the Cosmo elite. If it's Sims the either the current revurb or G2 or even possibly pimax.
Every headset seem to have an issue currently, you just need to find the one that fits your requirements the best.

Associate
It was £525 but has now gone up to £640.

Soldato
Yeah and that's a no from me! Seriously the cost of VR is so prohibitive to most. If they're wanting wider adoption they really need to get more sensible about the pricing.

Soldato
Ne
What games do you want to play?
Why are you unhappy with the cosmos, is it just the tracking, how about getting the elite tracking
If it's fps the tracking using basestations will be the best so either index or HTC pro or even the Cosmo elite. If it's Sims the either the current revurb or G2 or even possibly pimax.
Every headset seem to have an issue currently, you just need to find the one that fits your requirements the best.

Never Pimax, unless you like just setting fire to large wads of cash.

Soldato
Yeah and that's a no from me! Seriously the cost of VR is so prohibitive to most. If they're wanting wider adoption they really need to get more sensible about the pricing.

The S retails for $400. That's the price of a nice monitor. Only a monitor can't do most of what the S can do.

The cost of hardware needed to run VR seems like more of a barrier to me.

Soldato
It might depend on what you want to play. I have the Rift S for stand up games and oculus exclusives and the Reverb for Sims. Visually the reverb is a good step up from the rift S. The G2 will be another little bump from that with the improved optics. The G2 will also have the improved tracking and controllers to bring it closer to the Rift S in that regard. You are then just really missing out on Oculus exclusives, though there's ways round that.

Also rumours of an improved Oculus Quest coming?

If it was me, and you have the hardware to run it, it would be the G2.

Associate
OP
The Vive Cosmos has gone back. :(
Its been over a week, and I have received some really good responses, suggestions and ideas from the community, so thank you all. :)

If members have some good single player game suggestions, I am all ears. At the moment the only games I want to play are:
VTOL VR (Flight Sim)
Half Life Alyx

My rig, is in the signature below, but that may not be visible to all, so its the following basic spec:
Ryzen 3800X (4.5GHz all cores)
NVIDIA 1070 (2.1GHz Core)
64GB RAM

Come the holidays, I am thinking of getting a better GPU, I guess AMD Navi2 or Ampere. I'll have to wait and see what the market brings.
Eventually in 1-2 years, I'll upgrade the CPU to the best 16 Core Zen3, I can get. :D

At this time, I am still on the waiting list for the Valve Index, about another 8 weeks to go. :o
But i ultimately expect to cancel that, as I have pre-ordered the Reverb G2.
Yeah, so that where I am now, waiting about 6-8 weeks until the G2 arrives. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom