Silly question. HDMI or DP?

Soldato
It doesn't matter unless you're trying to run at a resolution/refresh rate that one or the other doesn't support. At that point, the decision is made for you.

Associate
It doesn't matter unless you're trying to run at a resolution/refresh rate that one or the other doesn't support. At that point, the decision is made for you.

Not sure I follow. If the OP has a 4k 144hz monitor, he'd be wanting a certified DP1.4 cable to get the most from his monitor. The cable could be the limiting factor there, no?

Soldato
OP doesn't specify the resolution or refresh rate.

If he's running 1080P 60Hz it isn't going to matter what sort of connection he's using.

At higher resolutions, it's going to depend on the standard of the connection. If it's an older HDMI standard then he'll probably be forced to use DisplayPort. If it's modern HDMI at both ends then HDMI will probably be fine.

The quality of the cable will matter to some extent, but the underlying port standards matter more.

Basically the OP's question doesn't make much sense without knowing the specifics of what he's trying to connect to what.

Associate
OP doesn't specify the resolution or refresh rate.

If he's running 1080P 60Hz it isn't going to matter what sort of connection he's using.

At higher resolutions, it's going to depend on the standard of the connection. If it's an older HDMI standard then he'll probably be forced to use DisplayPort. If it's modern HDMI at both ends then HDMI will probably be fine.

The quality of the cable will matter to some extent, but the underlying port standards matter more.

Basically the OP's question doesn't make much sense without knowing the specifics of what he's trying to connect to what.

I think I misread your post. I thought you were saying that the VESA certification doesn't matter whereas now I see you were saying the cable type doesn't matter unless the monitor is sufficiently good. :)

Although, because I can never truly admit when I'm wrong, I'd still buy a better quality cable if I needed to buy something as you never know what the future may bring. I'm stuck with an HDMI 1.4 cable channelled through my wall because I didn't think I'd need anything better than that at the time, then along comes UHD with HDR...

Back
Top Bottom