• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Replacing Sapphire 5700XT fan shroud for Noctua fans

Associate
I have a Sapphire Pulse 5700XT that I keep underclocked/undervolted (1900mhz, 1080mV) because the performance is very close to stock but the fan noise and heat are significantly less. While my pc is completely silent during normal operation, it is somewhat audible during a full gaming load. I am trying to go for a silent pc (during full load) without going the full custom waterloop setup.

I replaced the stock thermal paste with Noctua NT-H1 and got mixed results. No benefit at all in tempsC during Furmark, but about 7C junction improvement during COD:MW sessions (73C core was the same, but Junction Temp is down from 90C to 83C).

Next, I have read about people getting gains from removing the fan shroud and using two Noctua A12x25s that are ziptied to the heatsink. It makes sense, these fans are far superior to the stock fans, so they will provide better cooling. My question to you all is if any of you have done this? How much of a C decrease did you experience? These two fans cost like $60, so could this money be applied better elsewhere?

thanks all

Associate
Probably not what you are after but can share my experience. I had the same issues with noise then decided to custom liquid cool as I ask wanted to do that for a long time. It is definitely not a sane or financially logical decision and takes a long time. I'm still waiting for some parts but should arrive Wednesday. Once I build the system, I can share my results. Like I said probably not what your after but if you do decide to go down the road of WC then thought I'd give you a heads up

Associate
OP
Yeah, I get what you are saying. Another reason I'm against water is because I spent like $100 on a Noctua DH-15 and it works really well. It will work even better once I delid my 6700K. In addition, I have two Noctua 140mms as case intakes, and these would be to be removed and then sold on open market to make way for the gpu AIO radiator/fans.

Associate
I know alpha cool started making aio for 5700s. I don't know if I can mention competition sites but you can google it. Not the water blocks those are like AIOs for gpus.

Edit: spelling

Soldato
Probably not what you are after but can share my experience. I had the same issues with noise then decided to custom liquid cool as I ask wanted to do that for a long time. It is definitely not a sane or financially logical decision and takes a long time. I'm still waiting for some parts but should arrive Wednesday. Once I build the system, I can share my results. Like I said probably not what your after but if you do decide to go down the road of WC then thought I'd give you a heads up
yep I did the same, I'm on water and it's a happier card tbh and mines the alpha cool on a reference card! Lovely piece of kit nicely engineered.

Associate
Also did you vertically mount it? I'm thinking of doing it but don't know if I can squeeze rad + fans in the bottom of my O11D non xl

Caporegime
You should be able to lower your GPU voltage further, unless you have a bad sample. Try 1.025v. If that’s stable, try 1.000v. Generally only the best samples will do 1.000v.

Associate
holy jesus, $200? Thanks for the posts but damn, I could have just bought a 2070 Super or 1080ti.

This is a $50 project at most
Yeah but I guess you can wait a bit and get it on b-grade but i would personally just mod the fan shroud. Seems like a fun project. Make sure not to completely kaput the card tho.

C64

C64

Soldato
I have a Sapphire Pulse 5700XT that I keep underclocked/undervolted (1900mhz, 1080mV) because the performance is very close to stock but the fan noise and heat are significantly less. While my pc is completely silent during normal operation, it is somewhat audible during a full gaming load. I am trying to go for a silent pc (during full load) without going the full custom waterloop setup.

I replaced the stock thermal paste with Noctua NT-H1 and got mixed results. No benefit at all in tempsC during Furmark, but about 7C junction improvement during COD:MW sessions (73C core was the same, but Junction Temp is down from 90C to 83C).

Next, I have read about people getting gains from removing the fan shroud and using two Noctua A12x25s that are ziptied to the heatsink. It makes sense, these fans are far superior to the stock fans, so they will provide better cooling. My question to you all is if any of you have done this? How much of a C decrease did you experience? These two fans cost like $60, so could this money be applied better elsewhere?

thanks all
any old 120mm fans should do no idea why you paid $60 for a couple of 120mm fans, but 5700xt's are toasty I wouldn't expect massive drops sticking 2x 120mm over a george foreman grill.I read the sapphire pulse is one the best performers anyway of the 5700xt temps wise so wouldn't expect massive drops on that one.

sounds patronizing but you do have the fans round the right way ? done it myself many a time
I'd say the 5700xt is the issue it's just a very toasty card only thing could look at maybe is how much paste did you use gpus tend to require much more paste

7c junction drop and lower noise is great though no ? another thing is are you taking in to account room temp maybe its 5c hotter than before ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
any old 120mm fans should do no idea why you paid $60 for a couple of 120mm fans

Because the better the fans, the better the cooling. Noctua A12x25s are the best 120mm fans on the market for Radiators/Heatsinks, so thats what I would get. Amazon has them for $28 each, thats $56. Add in a few bucks more for the Y splitter and GPU header adapter and you are reaching $65-70.

Associate
OP
You should be able to lower your GPU voltage further, unless you have a bad sample. Try 1.025v. If that’s stable, try 1.000v. Generally only the best samples will do 1.000v.

I think I had stability problems, but I guess I could decrease it by 0.005mv. Whats a good GPU stresser? Furmark? Heaven?

Soldato
Because the better the fans, the better the cooling. Noctua A12x25s are the best 120mm fans on the market for Radiators/Heatsinks, so thats what I would get. Amazon has them for $28 each, thats $56. Add in a few bucks more for the Y splitter and GPU header adapter and you are reaching $65-70.

Arctic p12s are just as good, and run only slightly louder. But they come in at 20% of the price.

Associate
Somewhat agree I had the A12x25 and were the best fans I used. But having said that I tried the arctics fans next and they are much better in value. I'd say 80% of noise performance for a fifth of the price.

Back
Top Bottom