• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Quick somebody call the police, people are making fun of nVidia GPUs, and talking about bottoms to boot!

Let's get some safe spaces in here pronto, for @HRL 's sake :p

And that’s exactly what I was talking about. It’s really bizarre behaviour to exhibit to essentially strangers online. Each to their own though I guess as you clearly think it makes you sound clever.

If only we had some actual news instead.

Soldato
Completely agree. For some reason though some people seem to have taken it personally, and I’ve no idea why.

Do the same people get obsessed with how much other people spend on their cars? Or coffee machines? Or mobile phones?

Can’t say it’s ever crossed my mind how much other people pay for things except for possibly property but that’s an investment, not luxury goods.

Weirdly GPU prices appear to bring out the worst in people.

I think phones are the comparison. Now incremental upgrades for the highest prices they've ever been. Same for GPUs.

Take Samsung with the new note 20, pushing out a 1080p phone with so many features missing when compared to the Uber priced ultra, selling at classical flagship prices when their flagships a few years ago were higher spec and cost less than the non ultra note 20.

Caporegime
Lol.

It has to be said some people on here take it thick. I got no bothers people buying a car for 50k out of the forecourt, doesnt mean I need one to get me from A to B. In this analogy its akin to bringing the range of motors up a few grand so everyone can just lump it.

The difference in reality is theres tens of other brands you can choose to get what you want. Unfortunately in the two horse race we all just have to lump what team green do. :rolleyes:
You are one of the worst here. I read your posts and cringe. Why does it matter what people buy? It isn't your money and a luxury item isn't a compulsory buy. You had a dig at me claiming I have only owned 2 AMD GPUs (which is miles from the truth) blah blah blah but again, why does that bother you? I understand if you can't afford it, there might well be some jealousy kicking in but airing your views like you and others do, just comes across as bitter.

If somebody wishes to spend 20K on a computer build, enjoy I say. If somebody wishes to spend £500 on a computer build, enjoy I say but please stop with the schoolboy style of posting.

Associate
It's a good comparison, but look what has happened, Huawei are now top seller by offering pretty much the same for a lot less, that's despite all the bans

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I think phones are the comparison. Now incremental upgrades for the highest prices they've ever been. Same for GPUs.

Yes I think its a good observation. What most 'childish' people like me are saying is if people tried not to conform to such fleecing behaviour and made a point to them however possible, they just might listen. Take for example the MSI farce where they tried to pay a reviewer to pretend its product was good. It will have caused them more negative harm now instead of listening to the guy and changing tact. Accepting companies overbearing bullying attitude is not gonna fly for long.

Soldato
You are one of the worst here. I read your posts and cringe. Why does it matter what people buy? It isn't your money and a luxury item isn't a compulsory buy. You had a dig at me claiming I have only owned 2 AMD GPUs (which is miles from the truth) blah blah blah but again, why does that bother you? I understand if you can't afford it, there might well be some jealousy kicking in but airing your views like you and others do, just comes across as bitter.

If somebody wishes to spend 20K on a computer build, enjoy I say. If somebody wishes to spend £500 on a computer build, enjoy I say but please stop with the schoolboy style of posting.

That's fair point Greg, sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Soldato
I don't think it matters what nvidia charge for the new cards on release as people will be scrapping for them just like they were with toilet rolls a few months ago. It's everyone for themselves these days.

Associate
I don't think it matters what nvidia charge for the new cards on release as people will be scrapping for them just like they were with toilet rolls a few months ago. It's everyone for themselves these days.
Toilet roll is a luxury item now too.
How many wipes per second do you get with yours?

Soldato

Well this is another point that is also good, surely you look at them people in the news that stockpiled toilet rolls and were sellfish right?

Well its their money they can buy as much of it as they wish - its a luxury item?

:D

Associate
Its more like the worlds supply of toilet roll being reduced to two brands and then one of them decides "hey you know cos of the limited supply and closed market conditions we can turn our product into a luxury brand and up the margins..", so they do a big advertising campaign, get some celeb sponsorship and blame the price of paper then start testing the market.

People grumble but slowly adjust, then the price goes up again.
  • Rupert and Felicity really take care of their <food cycle> and can easily afford £20/roll so to them its just another luxury in their home, its ok just so long as it doesn't get to £100/roll
  • Michael and Kate don't like what's happening but they want the best for their family and find a way to justify the purchase by buying tinned hotdogs instead of decent sausages
  • Dave and Jane have to pick leaves from the garden because they can no longer justify such luxury and cant understand why only a few years ago toilet roll cost 10p for 100 sheets
So now these people find themselves on Toilet Roll Matters forum bought together in the fine spirit of humanity on the eve of a new product launch being the social species we are.... And Rupert with his multi roll collection doesn't have a problem with how things are and chimes into the fray with his PoV, and maybe he can sell off some of his collection to help reduce the impact of the predict price inflation as he fills in the pre-order form for his supply.... he's alright that's next year sorted. "hey guys I think its gonna be £30/roll this time, what do you think? I'm gonna order 2 packs and really looking forward to the new print pattern with extra comfort, its not cheap to add those things so I'm ok I'm just gonna pre-order...."

"Hey, Rupert you do realise toilet roll shouldn't be a luxury item, its just a roll of paper for wiping stuff?"
"How do you justify spending £30/roll!"
"I refuse to pay that much, I'm going green this time..."
"you do realise they are just using marketing as a means to charge more?"
"join the anti-competitive loo roll revolution comrade"
all the way down to....
"this guy is a <insert your school playground wording here>..."

So this continues for a bit with various levels of responses ranging from indifference, humour, annoyance, insulting all the way to down right nasty. Meanwhile the forum admins are getting grumpy too and have better things to do than sort through the crap.

There are a number of observations you can make at this point but I'd suggest it comes down to these:
1. People can spend their money as they choose, but no one likes a tit
2. Short-sightedness is not a great thing and more common as you get older
3. If you stick to the facts, or point at the issue not the person you're on much better ground for a sensible discussion
4. People that make it personal invite critism in return
5. Some people do go too far in either end of the spectrum of comments

;)

Associate
Its more like the worlds supply of toilet roll...

I enjoyed your post, a lot, but I've been thinking about this more recently and it seems to me it's more like mobile phones - all the "hot" models are around £1k these days, some are well over that. They're very little different to last year's model, maybe the camera got better, maybe the screen got a few more pixels, but people are still buying a new one every year or two. Many/most might be paying on a subscription basis rather than buying outright, so a lot of people clearly do have a big chunk of disposable income.

Graphics cards and mobile phones are a luxury, and the market will grow to fleece everyone it can of everything they can. *Someone* is spending £2k on a new "Galaxy fold". Are they ruining the phone market?

Last edited:
Soldato
If the 3080 is over £700 I’ll just keep what I have and use that money for a PS5. Nvidia can’t charge these kind of prices anymore. People are not going to fall for it

It all depends on perf for me.

if a 3080 was £700 but demolished a 2080ti I might bite.

if it was £700 but was 2080s perf then I’d laugh/cry.

Associate
People are not going to fall for it

People will still buy. I’m still using a 780 which i don't mind as i only play warzone on low settings and still get 60-70fps. But now that i’m looking at 144/240hz monitors if the 3080 cost over £700 then I don’t mind paying for it if it can push high FPS.

My 780 lasted me over 7 years, if i get that from a £700 3080 then i see that as a result. It’s not about price it’s about value, some people will get value from it others won’t.

Last edited:
Soldato
It all depends on perf for me.

if a 3080 was £700 but demolished a 2080ti I might bite.

if it was £700 but was 2080s perf then I’d laugh/cry.
Didn't the latest rumour put it 20+% ahead of a 2080Ti? Which would be better than the 2000 series was, though maybe not as much as some would hope

If it's 700 quid i might go for one, depends.. If it's a 1440p beast then i might, and if it has a ton more RT performance

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I totally understand the frustration of those who are angry at the prices of turing GPUs

This generation Nvidia has offered the smallest increase in performance between generations for the biggest price increase across the range ever.

I would have loved nothing more than if gamers across the globe stuck their middle finger up at nvidia and said no we aren't going to buy your GPUs until you price them in line with previous generation prices, because the performance uplift does not warrant the excessive price increases.

Back
Top Bottom