When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Seems like a fair point, though. 19 stops is rather a lot. But I get that driving from Scotland to Croatia is not the most common use case for most people.

The route is clearly indicative given 31.5 hours (not including the charge stops) is at least 4 days of driving non-stop for 8 hours each day. Realistically it's 5 days with just 1 stop for lunch and a **** each day, which is 4 charge stops per day (including the lunch one). Assuming you're not sleeping in the car, if you were staying at a hotel or Airbnb where you can charge overnight back to full then it's basically 1 charge stop per day, done mid-journey during lunch.

The point is you can drive a distance such as that and not be reliant on anything but the Tesla network.

He's a troll who adds absolutely nothing to this thread. Nobody is driving continuously for 38 hours with nothing but Supercharger stops.

Soldato
It looks like most stops are under 20 mins with many under 15 mins which is fine IMO. Some of those you’ll want to stop for longer anyway as 15 mins is only really enough time to nip to the loo.

As @Russinating said, there’s multiple days of driving there and you would realistically choose places to stay overnight where you can charge so less in day stops will be needed.

That said, I’d just fly. I haven’t got time to mess around driving there...

Soldato
It looks like most stops are under 20 mins with many under 15 mins which is fine IMO. Some of those you’ll want to stop for longer anyway as 15 mins is only really enough time to nip to the loo.

As @Russinating said, there’s multiple days of driving there and you would realistically choose places to stay overnight where you can charge so less in day stops will be needed.

That said, I’d just fly. I haven’t got time to mess around driving there...

its 3,000 miles round trip.

In an ICE car that will cost you £500 in fuel + servicing
In a Model 3 it will cost £180 in electricity (assuming you use superchargers and don't get any for free)

Split among 4 people and its cheaper than flying.

Man of Honour
its 3,000 miles round trip.

In an ICE car that will cost you £500 in fuel + servicing
In a Model 3 it will cost £180 in electricity (assuming you use superchargers and don't get any for free)

Split among 4 people and its cheaper than flying.

£500 for 3000 miles?

I'd use about 270 litres for that which at European prices is probably just over 300 quid.

Soldato
- maybe it was a theoretical trip from the outset, but, it did illustrate SC availibility .

If its on a mileage defined PCP, a 3K trips got to be in your yearly budget, even if, surplus miles don't break the bank.
Yes, the same issue you'd have with an ICE, but, sedans bev/diesel are in the 40-50p/mile domain (fleetworld calculator), so thats ~£1400,
if you were doing it regularly you'd be considering flying, as commented, and adjusting your initial PCP accordingly.

Soldato
- maybe it was a theoretical trip from the outset, but, it did illustrate SC availibility .

If its on a mileage defined PCP, a 3K trips got to be in your yearly budget, even if, surplus miles don't break the bank.
Yes, the same issue you'd have with an ICE, but, sedans bev/diesel are in the 40-50p/mile domain (fleetworld calculator), so thats ~£1400,
if you were doing it regularly you'd be considering flying, as commented, and adjusting your initial PCP accordingly.
I think the only reason someone would drive it is to take in stuff along the way rather than drive straight there and back.

Oh actually in the Model 3 you won't have the hassle of driving, it will do most of the work which is a major plus point :D

Soldato
Not a cheap one either. 12k miles service, but instead of oil changes etc they charge loads just to do basic things. E.g. they buried the cabin filter deep in the interior and charge loads replace it :p

If you own the car you could skip it I suppose. But on finance the small print demands you follow the schedule, so they have you over a barrel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a cheap one either. 12k miles service, but instead of oil changes etc they charge loads just to do basic things. E.g. they buried the cabin filter deep in the interior and charge loads replace it :p

If you own the car you could skip it I suppose. But on finance the small print demands you follow the schedule, so they have you over a barrel.

where did you get 12k from? It’s literally a cabin filter, brake fluid test and an a/c service every two years. You’re also free to ignore it and it won’t affect the warranty. Or take it elsewhere for servicing

Caporegime
where did you get 12k from? It’s literally a cabin filter, brake fluid test and an a/c service every two years. You’re also free to ignore it and it won’t affect the warranty. Or take it elsewhere for servicing
Whilst it’s not many things to do during the service. I recall it being rather expensive (£400-500)?

Soldato
https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/car-maintenance

On a model 3 it’s just a cabin filter change and brake fluid test every 2 years and an air conditioning service every 6.

We don’t live in a cold weather climate so the section on breaks can be ignored.

You can DIY the filter easily. Tire rotations and brake fluid tests/changes are pretty much ignored now on ICE cars but can be done by anyone or DIY if needed.

TLDR- if you don’t do the above it doesn’t void the warranty and there is next to nothing to do. Tesla essentially don’t want the car back unless it’s broken. If you don’t want to DIY any of it just take it to an Indy and pay peanuts compared to Tesla every other MOT.

Soldato

But like I said, the finance agreement will probably say you have to stick rigidly to the 12k mile service plan (and afaik it says 12k miles in the car's manual). You don't own the car on finance, so don't get to decide.

Man of Honour
It’s not mileage based though. With your car I assume the more you drive the more servicing it needs?

It does but unless you do more than average miles you hit the time requirement anyway.

Tesla sell a service plan which I seem to remember being oddly expensive. Why is that?

Back
Top Bottom