Poll: 70th Anniversary Grand Prix 2020, Silverstone - Race 5/?

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date

Rate the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That’s okay then. Pirelli will put driver’s lives at risk instead of changing their delivery plan.
It's not risking people's lives.

The tyres failed (in a relatively safe manner all told, not catastrophic blowouts throwing cars into barriers, the wear related front left failures were all slow manageable failures) when they were pushed to the limits of what Pirelli suggested was the maximum number of laps the tyres could do.

If the teams don't run them into such an extreme scenario, they'll be fine, they just need to run appropriate pit strategies. We're probably going to see some three stop attempts.

You could argue it's less likely to see issues because there isn't a compound this week that will do nearly a whole race distance that they'll all swap to on an early safety car and try to not stop again.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I wouldn't sah Kvyats failure was safe however they have all they data they need to not repeat history. If a team runs deep knowing what they know, it's on them now. We don't know how close to failure the tyres are at the end of long stints at other events, F1 does ultimately run on the edge of all the variables they were just caught short last week.

Fingers crossed Hulk gets a decent quali today. I think think at this point of the seasons we'd like to see some drama for Merc or Hamilton and allow others to catch up but it does look like they'll win every race this season.

Man of Honour
The teams took a gamble on when the second safety car came out last weekend and generally ran longer than they really should on the tyres; you could see from looking at them how bad some of them had worn.

Personally I’d rather Pirelli were making softer tyres that made teams pit at least twice during a race; this endurance style where tyres almost seem irrelevant is tedious and boring.

Soldato
The teams took a gamble on when the second safety car came out last weekend and generally ran longer than they really should on the tyres; you could see from looking at them how bad some of them had worn.

Personally I’d rather Pirelli were making softer tyres that made teams pit at least twice during a race; this endurance style where tyres almost seem irrelevant is tedious and boring.
Pirelli suggested the tyres were good for 40 laps, but clearly the wear was a bit higher than expected. I've no issue with that. It shouldn't be a target.

So long as the structural integrity of the tyres are OK (and they clearly were fine in that regard), then it's up to the teams to manage how hard their drivers are pushing. There was nothing stopping the team from stopping again, as they'll have to do this weekend.

I'm in agreement with 2-stoppers being more commonplace - frankly anything to give more of a chance of a bit of variance in strategies.

At least the tyre management of 6-10 years back, where teams were telling drivers to drop back 2+ seconds to ensure cleaner air, is less now than it was.

Associate
and generally ran longer than they really should on the tyres
weren't the mercs within the Pirelli lap range - although I think that is just an estimate and not a minimum guaranteed number of laps as there are too many factors involved least of which are different cars

Man of Honour
So Williams, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault AND Racing Point are appealing.

Surprised that Haas and Alfa Romeo didn't join in alongside their engine supplier.

Soldato
So Williams, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault AND Racing Point are appealing.

Surprised that Haas and Alfa Romeo didn't join in alongside their engine supplier.

There must be some worried car designers wondering which team is going to be protested next for pinching ideas off other cars.

Soldato
I'm not clear on what racing point have done. The guy in charge says they've done nothing wrong and built all their own parts. Or have they been using a bought in brake part from Mercedes?

Soldato
I'm not clear on what racing point have done. The guy in charge says they've done nothing wrong and built all their own parts. Or have they been using a bought in brake part from Mercedes?
You're allowed to buy in certain parts/designs (like an engine).

For last year RP bought Mercedes brake duct designs but ended up only using the front design due to rear aero differences.

Between this season and last season, brake ducts were added to the list of things you're not allowed to buy in. (It was judged they have an aero effect and generally the rules are aimed at preventing teams buying in aero designs)

This year they've used both the front and rear designs they bought in for 2019.

It has been determined that its not legal to use the duct designs bought in for the 2019 season in 2020 unless they were used on the 2019 car to be considered 'part of the DNA of the car' (I think that's how they've phrased it). As such the front ducts are OK but the rear ducts don't pass the rules.

But they have been permitted to use the ducts for the rest of the season.

Soldato
It would be incredibly naive to suggest that only the rear brake ducts were copied, that’s simply all other teams can prove. Frankly suggesting otherwise would lead me to believe the sun has got to someone’s head! :p

In all seriousness, we all know that far more of that car is copied. Maybe drawings for other parts weren’t “officially” handed over but clearly there’s foul play. If you know anything about composite manufacture then you know it’s impossible to copy parts simply by looking at pictures. Especially in such a short time scale. It takes years to hone such things, unless you have a helping hand.

Just because your team is getting owned.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom