FileHistory Very Unreliable (Stops working then Starts?)

Associate
I get it to work by disabling system protection or by deleting the config files and all original FileHistory files, which lasted a few hours before it stopped backing up files automatically and even me backing them up manually by clicking the "Back up now" button. This is the error I get in event viewer:
Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration
C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

I'm the latest version of Windows 10 with all updates, the FileHistory backs up to a external USB 3.0 hard drive, the system restore poiints save to the C drive naturally. Please someone help this is annoying as hell, I noticed it stopped working on the 1st of this month and has been constantly a pain!
I disabled system protection and now it started working, for 2 hours! Now it's giving the same error in the logs:
Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config
Latest Windows 10 updates, excluding the optional 2020-07 Cumulative Update Preview (KB4568831)

It should be noted I don't have a C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config
folder or location I do have a
C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration
Location with these 6 files in it
https://imgur.com/U3nrS7r

Last edited:
Soldato
Just bin off the filehistory configuration and set it up again. As long as nothing has changed and you've not lost any files recently, it will be a fresh start and probably start working.

Unless your user account is "home". It seems like something in the config appended a "config" to the file path so it either needs changing or recreating. I wonder if there's anything in the PATH variable you could check

Associate
OP
Just bin off the filehistory configuration and set it up again. As long as nothing has changed and you've not lost any files recently, it will be a fresh start and probably start working.

Unless your user account is "home". It seems like something in the config appended a "config" to the file path so it either needs changing or recreating. I wonder if there's anything in the PATH variable you could check
I'll do that, issue is it'll happen again, it did stop working last night for hours (without me knowing). My account is Home I didn't add the \Config at the end either which is really work
Trying going to that location gives me this message:
[Window Title]
File Explorer

[Content]
Windows can't find 'C:\UsersHp,e\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config'. Check the spelling and try again.

[OK]

Back
Top Bottom