Headphone choice for gaming

Associate
OK so having been playing Tarkov a lot over the last month i feel that my current headphones Siberia 800 wireless are some what lacking.

To that end I have a Sound blasterx G6 that i've had for a while and feel that a decent set of cans would benefit my gaming the most. I'm looking at two on my short list the AKG 702's and the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X i know there is a bit of a price difference between them but which is going to give me the best sound for gaming I play a lot of tarkov, survival and battleground games so better positional sound would be good.

I don't really listen to music or watch that many films etc.. so not that bothered if the sound is just ok for those.

C64

C64

Soldato
the akg or beyer dt990 pro are the only ones at a sensible price at the mo, i would have said fidelio x2hr but theyve gone from £120 to double that now

Associate
I'd add the Beyer Tygr 300r onto that list (although you'll need to order direct from Beyer EU) - another open backed Beyer that seem to have been tuned a little more specifically for gaming. Prefer them to the K702 and DT990 I owned.

Soldato
First thing is do you need closed design's isolation of environment's sound, or do you have quiet environment?
Guessing from your candidates you have quiet environment, correct?
Just remember that unless drowned by sound of what you're listening, you'll hear environment's noises quite normally.

If all you care is details like foot steps AKG K702 is the one to beat.
Though if you would also have some balance with bass immersion, that neutral bass is mediocre.
Also that "automatically adjusting" headband has it's "challenges":
It relies quite lot on pressure to keep cups positioned, so on bigger head pressure might feel not that good in longer use.
While on smaller especially downward narrowing head they can feel like cups are trying to creep down.
(myself near that, while that pressure still isn't the most comfortable)

Beyer's manually adjustable headband adapts better to different head sizes.
Also if you want overall gaming experience with both details and above neutral bass punch DT990 does that well.
Though studio use aimed Pro version has little more pressure than Edition/Premium.
Tygr 300 R would have both lower pressure and straight 1,6m cable well fitting for use with USB sound card (3m cable is long for that) and that sound tuned for gaming could be better for details than in DT990.

Associate
OP
The Tygr 300 R look like they could be good but forgot to say I need to be able to order from amazon as have a ton of vouchers to spend, i'm willing to spend upto £300 so will take a look at the x2hr aswell.

I game in my home office so don't really have any noise issues so open back are fine.

Soldato
Well, DT990 Edition isn't really much more expensive than DT990 Pro.

Besides headphones for real positioning in most games without built in HRTF, you need something to do binaural sound simulation.
We don't hear in stereo, but binaurally:
Meaning shape of the head causing direction dependant changes to signal received by both ears from sound source.
Standard stereo mix for speakers doesn't even give proper left-right directionality when listened headphones, because of headphones not creating any of those spatial cues.

Besides separate softwares made for that, most sound cards have HRTF.
And that £300 would easily fit DT990 and sound card.

Back
Top Bottom