• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the RTX 3090 a rip off for £1,400?

Man of Honour
RDNA 3 graphics cards are planned for 2021, AMD are supposedly using a chiplet design. I kind of think they will need multi GPU designs just to beat the 3080/3090! Or maybe Ti versions of both these GPUs by 2020 2h.

I wonder why they dont wanna say RDNA 3 will use 5nm lithography? Maybe they think they can get enough transistor density from 7nm?

It is going to be awhile until we see non-monolithic designs making waves in the gaming space unless developers can be persuaded to embrace explicit multi-adaptor techniques and even then that isn't a complete solution and any time you see people talk about AMD GPU chiplet designs while comparing them as "similar" to what they did with Zen it is a fairly good indicator they don't have a clue what they are talking about - you just can't bring that to a gaming workload like you can other types of compute (without employing things like explicit multi-adaptor at game implementation level).

EDIT: Any future moves this way would likely be MCM rather than strictly chiplet nature - possibly with a mixture of big and small cores and/or a mixture of headless packages and command packages to more dynamically allocate resources to a workload.

Associate
I'd agree with those saying Nvidia are ripping people off a bit but not drastically. That's not to say it hasn't got value to those that want it or have enough cash to throw around (anything is awesome if you consider it pocket change) but from a value perspective and regular gaming perspective it's over priced. For those wanting to make the most of their 4K monitors it's a possible route, I've got the LG CX so I've gave it a glance over but when I think about it logically you'd be better off paying half the price for a good card and then in a few years time upgrade again and you've spent the same but will get higher performance and newer features. That's the main problem, these cards will never be future proof completely because there's always new features coming round and better handling of older ones (ray tracing being an example, it will get better over time not just for throwing more money at it). The realistic answer is that it doesn't give you the value of the price but the other perspective is that if you are a frame rate chaser then you get to enjoy those higher frames.

It depends on what games you play and how much you're willing to compromise on settings but for most games if you can get ace performance with just a minimal setting tweak that you'd barely notice then the cheaper card would be better if it can fulfill your performance needs. I'm mostly playing games like Path finder king maker, path of exile etc. that wouldn't really make me feel the need for such a card and that's a problem if it's only getting me benefit part of the time. I'd like a good gpu for the odd game like Baldurs Gate 3 or some good RTS (cyberpunk as well) but I feel even when you can afford the card it's realistically over paying unless you're the refuse to compromise type. For me the card is what it is and it's up to the nieche to decide if they will pay for it but I agree with others on Nvidia charging more each gen and that is the real disappointment.

Associate
A huge rip off but they know there is enough people out there with more money than sense that will buy them at 3x the profit. They are the Elite customers, in small numbers compared to the lower end but enough to boost their profit margins.
Most people that buy them will never even notice a difference in what they do as they will already have the top card in their PC anyway, the benchmarks will look good, real world performance playing games will hardly be noticed.

I a waiting for the AMD release, I hope they don't do this type of silly price.

Associate
Compare this to the RTX 3080, which is less than half the price and has 82% of the shaders, but 'just' 10GB of VRAM. The profit margin on the 3090 has gotta be at least £300-400 (we know NVIDIA's overall net profit is around 30% in most months).

Does anyone disagree, or, is money simply no object?

it cost Nvidia around £300 to make one. So according to the calculator : 1400-300 = £1100 in profit.

Soldato
I guess it’s best to wait for benchmarks. 20-30% for twice the price is never worth it unless you must have the fastest card available.

Would be much more logical to wait for say 3080Ti or just get a 3080.

Associate
I'd agree with those saying Nvidia are ripping people off a bit but not drastically. That's not to say it hasn't got value to those that want it or have enough cash to throw around (anything is awesome if you consider it pocket change) but from a value perspective and regular gaming perspective it's over priced. For those wanting to make the most of their 4K monitors it's a possible route, I've got the LG CX so I've gave it a glance over but when I think about it logically you'd be better off paying half the price for a good card and then in a few years time upgrade again and you've spent the same but will get higher performance and newer features. That's the main problem, these cards will never be future proof completely because there's always new features coming round and better handling of older ones (ray tracing being an example, it will get better over time not just for throwing more money at it). The realistic answer is that it doesn't give you the value of the price but the other perspective is that if you are a frame rate chaser then you get to enjoy those higher frames.

It depends on what games you play and how much you're willing to compromise on settings but for most games if you can get ace performance with just a minimal setting tweak that you'd barely notice then the cheaper card would be better if it can fulfill your performance needs. I'm mostly playing games like Path finder king maker, path of exile etc. that wouldn't really make me feel the need for such a card and that's a problem if it's only getting me benefit part of the time. I'd like a good gpu for the odd game like Baldurs Gate 3 or some good RTS (cyberpunk as well) but I feel even when you can afford the card it's realistically over paying unless you're the refuse to compromise type. For me the card is what it is and it's up to the nieche to decide if they will pay for it but I agree with others on Nvidia charging more each gen and that is the real disappointment.

Well said. These are my feelings also.

Soldato
OP
it cost Nvidia around £300 to make one. So according to the calculator : 1400-300 = £1100 in profit.

Where did you find that out?

Its not really straight forward tbh, cause you need to take the design and research expenses into account too, not just the cost to pay Samsung to produce the GPU dies and the graphics cards production costs.

Associate
if u need to ask it`s not for you, people who make bank on it will buy however many they need, or those who dont have to earn the money they spend.
For regular people the 3080 will be all they need, in another 2 years there will be the next gen and ur precious 3090 will be pretty much worth 1/3rd of what u paid for it, like it is the case with 2080ti right now.
For example I bought a 2080 in 2019 summer for 500€ used it for a year, sold it few weeks ago for 500€ and will now put that money towards the 3080 u can keep doing this with other cards too, just sell it before the next gen is announced/comes out.

Associate

A GTX 970 back in 2014(?) cost £250~...

As for the 3090, that's their replacement for the loons with more money than sense who didn't mind dropping a grand on a 2080ti. ...

I bought two 970 a year apart and they cost me £300 each time, for a Galax/KFA2 model. I'm still using one to this day. At this very moment I'm building a scene in Unreal Engine. I also have a K5200 Quadro (8GB) which I use in my second workstation. However, I assure you I'm not a loon with more money than sense.

I was going to put down the 6k for a Quadro 8000 to give me raytracing and more VRAM (48GB, nice) but held out and am very happy to see the 3090 belting out better performance than the Quadro 8000 in the marbles demo.

To get an upgrade and a competitive advantage in my work I'll will happily pay what they're asking for and I'm the tightest rear individual you'll find.

Soldato
I don't think it will be a rip-off.

If you're a 4K 120Hz gamer, you need a card like this. As a potential buyer, I'm hoping if I buy this, I won't need to upgrade for at least 4+ years.

Soldato
Some ppl buy diamond packed phones or Rolex watches for 50 000$$$
Some ppl have money to throw.
It's that simple.
3090 is not for everyone.

And no it's not worth the price tag.
That's a horrible analogy. A Rolex doesnt lose over 70% of its value just because a new model comes out 1.5 years later.

The same can be said by a jewel incrested phone. The value comes from the jewels.

Some of you are really bedazzled by the most simple of hype men.

Associate
For me its worth it, I like to game at 4k with all the settings turned up including ray tracing, and I want a card that's going to perform the best. Even if the 3090 is 20% faster that's still a good ammount faster even if I have to pay double the price of a 3080 to get it.

Also I've been using 11gb vram cards since the 1080 Ti and the current 2080 Ti, no way in hell am I dropping down in vram capacity either not with next gen console games on the way.

I've also been an SLI user since the 780 Ti days, currently with 2x 2080 Ti's so I want the best single GPU to replace those two and the 3090 fills that requirement perfectly. Compared to what nvidia charged for the Titan RTX, the 3090 which is essentially a rebaged Titan is pretty decent value.

Man of Honour
Can't even imagine what a programming nightmare these will be, unless the ODM makes a tool for transparency to help.

Problem is it is an ongoing process - the engine developer can't just slap it in and move on - it needs refining as you add content to a game to get best effect with full understanding of the content of your game and the way the system works.

Currently games have little or no multi-GPU specific code - it is more about avoiding breaking compatibility with driver level multi-GPU rendering techniques.

Back
Top Bottom