• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Ill be tring this later with the club 120hz 4k adapter

Nice one, please let me know if you can get EARC lossless audio / atmos etc. Also not sure if would need an active adapter or if a passive cable would be ok for the EARC? I am planning to use one DP port for just audio, so DP++ > HDMI > AVR / Surround speakers.

After doing some research it looks like this should be ok, just want to check with someone who has done it, because a lot more choice if not worried about 2 x HDMI.

Soldato
If some people already have these cards and are not under NDA how come we haven't seen benchmarks which don't seem like BS?

3080 talk is all over the place, either slightly better than 2080Ti or a decent bit faster

No drivers, only the reviewers get a download link and wouldn't surprise me if these are watermarked in some way.

Soldato
Nice one, please let me know if you can get EARC lossless audio / atmos etc. Also not sure if would need an active adapter or if a passive cable would be ok for the EARC? I am planning to use one DP port for just audio, so DP++ > HDMI > AVR / Surround speakers.

After doing some research it looks like this should be ok, just want to check with someone who has done it, because a lot more choice if not worried about 2 x HDMI.

I also want to know if atmos would work through an adapter.

I was thinking of going with the gigabyte auros just to make sure everything will work later down the line by having 2x hdmi's.

Associate
Corsair is recommending at least 850W from their PSU lineup for RTX 3090 (not 750w). I really hate the power requirements of these cards

Soldato
Corsair is recommending at least 850W from their PSU lineup for RTX 3090 (not 750w). I really hate the power requirements of these cards
I would have expected any very high end system build to of had at lest a 850watt psu

Like who the hell would build a system with flagship components and then save money by using something like say a cheap low power 600watt PSU to run it :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
I would have expected any very high end system build to of had at lest a 850watt psu

Like who the hell would build a system with flagship components and then save money by using something like say a cheap low power 600watt PSU to run it :confused:

A lot of recent progress has been performance per watt. The 3700X is only a 65w part. The price/performance of the 3000 series seems like it's back on track but the performance per what stagnated this generation.

(With Nvidia at least)

Associate

You'd be surprised power contentious AMD ryzen users, at least 2 of my brothers with 650w PSUs, I knew there'd be a day this seasonic 850w would come in and stretch it legs a bit lol.

Associate

My Seasonic 650W Gold is 7 years old. 850W was considered overkill at that time. The RTX 2000 series had min. power requirements of 550W. No one expected power efficiency to worsen to the point we need 300W more over just 1 generation

Soldato
Now that I think about it, Nvidia's decision to run Ampere beyond its effeciency sweet spot may have served more than one purpose.

Not only are they trying to wring out all the performance they can get to keep the performance crown, but they may also be creating some pressure on AMD's "performance per watt" promise.

Now that Nvidia has turned it up to 11, just how important is keeping that performance per watt promise vs possibly just outperforming Nvidia free and clear?

Soldato
GamersNexus saying reviews pushed back to the 16th due to some reviewers not receiving their cards due to covid. Boooooo! Was looking for ward to hitting Youtube hard tomorrow.
well thats just some lame excuse, why would it matter who got the cards yet or not. Reviews will be coming out throughout the week anyway as more reviewers receive the cards. I feel its more tactics than anything else.

Caporegime
well thats just some lame excuse, why would it matter who got the cards yet or not. Reviews will be coming out throughout the week anyway as more reviewers receive the cards. I feel its more tactics than anything else.

It matters a lot, because if the reviewers can all release their content at the same time, it's fairer for them in terms of click revenue/Youtube views.

If they are 3 days later than everyone else, they won't get as much traffic.

Soldato
My Seasonic 650W Gold is 7 years old. 850W was considered overkill at that time. The RTX 2000 series had min. power requirements of 550W. No one expected power efficiency to worsen to the point we need 300W more over just 1 generation
about 7 years ago i needed a 800+ watt PSU as i had SLI 780ti
GeForce GTX 780 Ti 2-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 800 Watt power supply unit as minimum

LOL i just looked at a SLI 580 review below
With 2-way SLI we noticed our power consumption for the cards peaked to roughly 719 Watts,

Measured power consumption

1. System in IDLE = 237W
  2. System Wattage with GPUs in FULL Stress = 719W
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-580-sli-review,14.html

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yep and then work on that ideally you only want to running your psu at 60-70% capacity and thats why loads of us had 1000W+ PSU.

I cant remember the last build i did where I had less than a 1000W psu. Its a lot of years ago now.

Soldato
650W has been fine for me since selling my SLI'd 470s back in the day.
I am confident 650W will still suffice with the 3080 when I get it. It's not a cheapo one so should be fine :)

Gamers Nexus did a video on PSUs recently. A 10900k and a 2080 Ti, under a heavy artificial load, maxed out at 540W.

Back
Top Bottom