Would you use a PSU for 10 years?

Permabanned
Christmas 2020 is anticipated as my upgrade time and i am in a dilemma about my AX860i which has been used now for nearly 5yrs i honestly lost count of time. It powers a 4770k system at 4.3ghz and a 2080ti.

It is now a £170 psu where i paid £136. And i am not sure if i want it in my new Ryzen 4000 build. The thing is my uncles prebuilt ocuk Q6600 went boom and killed a lot of stuff inside. And thats my worst nightmare. But replacing it would cost around £150 as well. It has a 10yr warranty, But thats not much good when you need to wait like a month+ and what if it killed the base.

What do you think? My gut says sell the old base intact and suck up the cost of a platinum 850w. But it will mean waiting until March 2021 but i am content to wait as well.

Associate
You can get 850w with 7/10yr warranty for around £130. Why wait to March for Platinum? Remember the stock situation we are still recovering from that started in March this year :p

Soldato
The thing is my uncles prebuilt ocuk Q6600 went boom and killed a lot of stuff inside.
Prebuilts usually have at best mediocre quality PSUs and too often crappy ones.
Just check what are warranty lengths for those particular PSUs and you'll see they were never intended to last.

Soldato
Things to consider. 1) Was the PSU high quality? 2) Was the PSU under high load for long periods of time?

If yes to 1, and no to 2, then I would keep using the PSU.

Associate
What's the consensus on the age of the unit since it was manufactured versus the period of time it has actually been in use in a system as presumably the caps and other components can still degrade if the PSU is sitting in a warehouse for a few years before it's purchased and installed? Should the date of manufacture/assembly be used in determining the replacement timescale?

For example, I believe my current PSU was released in 2011 however I only purchased it "new" in 2014. I need to look and see if I can find a manufacturing date on the unit, so while I have only have used it for six years it could potentially be up to 9 years since it was assembled.

Permabanned
OP
Things to consider. 1) Was the PSU high quality? 2) Was the PSU under high load for long periods of time?

If yes to 1, and no to 2, then I would keep using the PSU.

I am sure ocuk supplied a Corsair 620w but forget which model i guess whatever 620w was popular around the Q6600 time and it apparantly blew.

I am still debating this in my head, I think the likely scenario is i keep the AX860i and simply reuse the case and sell the internals on the MM.

Soldato
I've fixed 100s of pc dont think I've seen 1 pc with faulty psu and secondary component ..

It's obviously possible but not very likely a psu kills other parts .. in cheap I'd keep the old psu

Soldato
i figured the warranty lengths are how long the psu should last before it blows and takes other components with it
Even if it not that then i guess with most PSU warranties being around 7 to 10 years it not going be that bad to fork out for a new PSU just once every 7 to 10 years

I bought my PSU in Jan 2011 :eek::eek:
I just replaced the 140mm fan in my PSU a few days ago
(I don't think the fan in it was even working anymore :eek: as there been no dust at all on the PSU fan filter for a few years)

Last edited:
Only just replaced my Corsair TX750, because I wanted a zero rpm mode.

I gave the old PSU to a friend who still uses it.

I'd still use it if it all looks good. Perhaps for piece of mind have a visual check at the capacitors to check they are not leaking (they won't be). For goodness sake do not give yourself a shock though, as a PSU can hold charge for many months since being last used.

Back
Top Bottom