Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
The G923 isn't worth the £150 extra. Check the reviews from some of the simracers like RandomCallsign, Boosted Media, The SimPit & GamerMuscle on Youtube

The G920 is a great option when starting out to see if you like simracing, as long as it's at a reasonable price.

If you want to pay more then get a Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Alcantara instead for around £400, if you can find it in stock.

The pedals aren't great on the Thrustmaster setup, but the wheel is much better than any of the Logitech ones.

Associate
Whats the G923 like compared to the G920? I'm contemplating cancelling my G920 and getting the G923, is it worth the extra buck? Total novice to this kind of stuff so i have no experience with sim gear at all but wanna start somewhere.
Well, considering I haven't had the G920 I can't really comment.

The G923 isn't worth the £150 extra. Check the reviews from some of the simracers like RandomCallsign, Boosted Media, The SimPit & GamerMuscle on Youtube

The G920 is a great option when starting out to see if you like simracing, as long as it's at a reasonable price.

If you want to pay more then get a Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Alcantara instead for around £400, if you can find it in stock.

The pedals aren't great on the Thrustmaster setup, but the wheel is much better than any of the Logitech ones.
At this moment of time I have to agree: trueforce isn't supported in a lot of games (and neither are the rev LEDs by the looks of it!) and RaceRoom Experioence: well cos of the way they have implimented wheels it has a hard time with the LG Hub software which appears to cause crashes (even though I can see from task manager it was raceroom that was CPU hogging so it tells me they haven't implimented wheels correctly! However closing LG Hub "resolves" this issue) so is it worth it at this moment of time? No. However it depends on the stock levels of the older Logitech wheels and what's available. Fortunately for me I never paid for this wheel (it was a gift) but I have to agree with what reviews of it I have seen on YT.

However, on PC: Fanaleds are looking to implement the wheel on their program. Apparently they are waiting on Logitech. Still could be a few months away though.

End of day it is your choice and I am not going to sway you one way or the other.

Soldato
Well, considering I haven't had the G920 I can't really comment.

At this moment of time I have to agree: trueforce isn't supported in a lot of games (and neither are the rev LEDs by the looks of it!) and RaceRoom Experioence: well cos of the way they have implimented wheels it has a hard time with the LG Hub software which appears to cause crashes (even though I can see from task manager it was raceroom that was CPU hogging so it tells me they haven't implimented wheels correctly! However closing LG Hub "resolves" this issue) so is it worth it at this moment of time? No. However it depends on the stock levels of the older Logitech wheels and what's available. Fortunately for me I never paid for this wheel (it was a gift) but I have to agree with what reviews of it I have seen on YT.

However, on PC: Fanaleds are looking to implement the wheel on their program. Apparently they are waiting on Logitech. Still could be a few months away though.

End of day it is your choice and I am not going to sway you one way or the other.
Fair enough guys, thank you for your honest review. I'm keeping my order for my G920 then which i'll pick up tomorrow. Really looking forward to it tbh, having used control pads in forever, i realised im not getting the proper experience when i tried Assetto Corsa for the first time. The modding community is so helpful as well, so its something i've been really looking forward to investing some time in.

Associate
Fair enough guys, thank you for your honest review. I'm keeping my order for my G920 then which i'll pick up tomorrow. Really looking forward to it tbh, having used control pads in forever, i realised im not getting the proper experience when i tried Assetto Corsa for the first time. The modding community is so helpful as well, so its something i've been really looking forward to investing some time in.
Trust me: just getting a wheel will be a better experience (and something to get used to!)

Full story for me:

The same person that brought the G923 wheel for me had previously sent their old MadCatz wheel to me: MC wheel works fine on Xbox, but the research that me and they done suggested that it wasn't really compatible with PC.

MC Wheel arrives, and I tested it on my PC: works fine in Forza 4. Great, or so I thought...

However at the time me and them were playing F1 2020 on Xbox, and I noticed that my laptop times had gone slower due to me not being used to the wheel. However they improved after getting used to the game again.

They ask me to get Assetto Corsa as it was cheap and after me downlaoding and installing it from Steam finally decided to join them online, only discovering that the MC wheel wasn't getting deteched by Steam or AC. However seemed ok on Xbox One controller.

After a while they decided to buy me the G923; whther it was the quickest/cheapest wheel they could get hold of or what I have no idea.

Soldato
I've been considering building a sim setup for a while and would really like some help with my current spec list. My biggest question is the spec of the PC I need in order to run say, AC nice and smooth.

Sim Lab GT1 with single monitor mount
Fanatex Clubsport V2.5 base with BMW GT2 wheel, V3 pedals and manual shifter
Seat most likely with one of the sim company's seats or Sabelt Taurus Large
Monitor will be one of the 49" ultrawides - Samsung I'm guessing

So, it's just the PC I haven't managed to nail down. I'm not sure about extra switch boxes etc so thought I'd leave all that and let it tell me what I do/don't need.

I'm thinking as the monitor is Freesync, I'll be going down the Radeon route to make best use of the screen.

My current PC is an i5, 16GB RAM, 1070GTX and 2x M2 drives. Not sure if that will be enough.

Soldato
Having used the G920 and hshifter for over a week now i can safely safe im thoroughly impressed. I'm sure if i move onto Fanatec wheels and the higher range stuff i'll be even more impressed than i am now. I opted for the GT Omega Apex stand which is really solidly built. Theres no movement in the stand at all and is very comfortable once adjusted to the correct height.. It did take some tweaking to get the feeling right in Content manager for assetto corsa but once it was dialed in i was having maximum fun. You really have to watch a fair few youtube videos to get to grips for all the settings and tweaks and slowly work your way to your own settings. I wouldn't call it a plug and play as on default it felt too heavy and stiff.

I'm still using my office chair but swapped out the casters for locking ones which has helped a lot. Need a better chair for sure but so far it works as intended.

Associate
I've been considering building a sim setup for a while and would really like some help with my current spec list. My biggest question is the spec of the PC I need in order to run say, AC nice and smooth.

Sim Lab GT1 with single monitor mount
Fanatex Clubsport V2.5 base with BMW GT2 wheel, V3 pedals and manual shifter
Seat most likely with one of the sim company's seats or Sabelt Taurus Large
Monitor will be one of the 49" ultrawides - Samsung I'm guessing

So, it's just the PC I haven't managed to nail down. I'm not sure about extra switch boxes etc so thought I'd leave all that and let it tell me what I do/don't need.

I'm thinking as the monitor is Freesync, I'll be going down the Radeon route to make best use of the screen.

My current PC is an i5, 16GB RAM, 1070GTX and 2x M2 drives. Not sure if that will be enough.
If you running a 1080p monitor that pc should be fine

Soldato
mVqd9MH.jpg

Taken from the same angle for your comparison, from what i can tell its got an extra support plate at the bottom for the pedals. Other than that its practically the same i think.

The apex pedals are on a stepped bracket so for me its abit more stable.

Associate
Thanks for the photo @Jay85 :)

I'm assuming that there was no mishaps with the screwholes not aligning up for the wheel, pedals and h-shifter?

I watched a YT review of the Next Level Racing frame and it seems that it did wobble a bit but the reviewer said it weren't wobblying that much.

Both are similarly priced, not sure which one to go for really.

Soldato
Thanks for the photo @Jay85 :)

I'm assuming that there was no mishaps with the screwholes not aligning up for the wheel, pedals and h-shifter?

I watched a YT review of the Next Level Racing frame and it seems that it did wobble a bit but the reviewer said it weren't wobblying that much.

Both are similarly priced, not sure which one to go for really.
No mishaps at all, all the holes aligned up perfectly. It's very heavy as well, think it weighs in around 20kg with all the bits bolted on. It doesn't wobble one bit for me but i do play on a hard mat so it makes a difference compared to playing on carpet.

Associate
No mishaps at all, all the holes aligned up perfectly. It's very heavy as well, think it weighs in around 20kg with all the bits bolted on. It doesn't wobble one bit for me but i do play on a hard mat so it makes a difference compared to playing on carpet.
Thanks for confirming.

I don't have carpet; I have vinal flooring (so hopefully that doesn't slide)

Associate
No "dedicated" frame/rig like most setups here; my steering wheel is clamped to my desk and everything is a little awkward to get comfy with (to say the least, however things have improved slightly now that I now have some bell glides for my gaming chair that are not causing me to move everytime I hit the brakes), pedals are on the floor under my desk but it is possible to make them slide a little (the joys of vinyl flooring I guess).

Looking for something a little more better than my current setup but I don't exactly have a lot of space, however something similar to rjk's setup would be good.

Any suggestions?
I've asked OC what stands they recommend for me; short answer is that can't provide me with an answer (not strickly true but that's their jist).

They did state that I would be better off with a cockpit setup (eg GT Ultimate V2); from the point of view of how much it would cost to take the stand I mentioned earlier and then get the seat as an add-on later I can see their point when the GT Ultimate V2 costs about as much for the seat alone. Doesn't make sense to me on pricing but it is what it is.

Anyone got any thoughts on the GT Ulitmate V2 cockpit? Ie is it any good?

As FYI I tried a PlaySeat Evo whilst I was getting the h-shifter: that's not going to work for me (photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/X8aWPy6yrfgAAY8g7 )

Associate
If your Willing to spend GT ultimate sort of money and you don't mind a bit of tinkering I'd strongly advise building your own rig out of Aluminium profile. You can design it around whatever space requirements you have

Back
Top Bottom