• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Indecision is final

Associate
Asking smarter folk than me to put yourself in my shoes for a minute.

Building my first new rig in years and finally moving from my 3570k, with the only upgrade since 2012 being adding an RX580 a couple years ago.

I have an NZXT H1 with an Asus B550-I gaming, 32gb of 3600 RAM, 2tb PCIE 4.0 drive, 5800X coming tomorrow and I am sub 75th position for an EVGA XC3 Black 3080.

I’ve also got a back panel fan mod and custom front panel to get improved cooling. I’ve also replaced the riser in the H1 with a PCIE 4.0 one because I only want to do this once. :D

My monitor is 3440x1440 with Freesync 2 so should be compatible with NVIDIA cards as well as AMD.

Would you;

1. Ride out the 3080 queue and stick with it.
  2. Try and snag a 6800XT as well and go with whatever comes first
  3. Look at something else altogether
  4. Stick with the 580 until all this has blown over and the reviews are in?
Please help me hive mind.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
If I were in your position, I'd try and get a 6800XT, and see which GPU ends up with you first.

You've got the luxury of going for either brand of GPU as your monitor supports both vendors.

Caporegime
If I were in your position, I'd try and get a 6800XT, and see which GPU ends up with you first.

^^For sure

6800XT looks like it's gonna be just as strong as the 3080, maybe a little more so. Think the cooler is 2.5slot though, unsure if that will affect you?

Associate
I would go with 2, queue for both pick which ever is the winner.

But I would also say be warned joining a queue for the 6800 until we've had 3rd party benchmarks of more games. As most of us know, benchmarks in the early days can be cherry picked and not representative of final performance. And if you care about ray tracing or any kind of DLSS equivalent which you'll need for 1440p or 4k with RT enabled you'll want to wait and see what AMD bring to the table.

Associate
As long as you can afford to have the ~1.5k missing from your bank account for the next month or two I'd just order both, but if there's nothing in particular you want to play this year maybe just stick with the 580.

Associate
OP
As long as you can afford to have the ~1.5k missing from your bank account for the next month or two I'd just order both, but if there's nothing in particular you want to play this year maybe just stick with the 580.

I definitely want to play 2077. However, that still might not be this year at this rate I suppose....

Back
Top Bottom