• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 3 Latency thread

Permabanned
Hello

Could people test thier latency on this new platform and post in here so we can keep track of this? What we are interested in is general gaming latency and the latency of 4x8gb sticks versus 2x16gb sticks. The easy way to test this is download Latencymon and click the play button and the top realtime bar will show you the latency in microseconds or us.

You should run the game windowed, So you can play and see the graph in realtime. Ideally we should not see over 70us but figure will depend on how clean an indvidual system is. Thanks you can find the link to Latencymon 7.0 free below.

https://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Man of Honour
Not sure you are going to get many response to this :s

I'm quite interested in Ryzen and latency in general as from my passing messing about with a few builds it seemed that going all out for memory performance as some do actually doesn't produce the best results with Ryzen there is definitely a sweet spot for gaming beyond which you might get higher framerates but a worse feel.

Had an interesting one recently - after moving from having decent FTTC and just using one NIC on my PC where I'm living now I'm having to use multiple connection types to supplement each other including 4G as well as FTTC and so have added an additional 2x NICs and a USB wireless connection and the DPC latency has increased quite a bit due to the drivers for them - going from a stable sub 20us to a more varied ~50us :(

Permabanned
OP
Not sure you are going to get many response to this :s

I'm quite interested in Ryzen and latency in general as from my passing messing about with a few builds it seemed that going all out for memory performance as some do actually doesn't produce the best results with Ryzen there is definitely a sweet spot for gaming beyond which you might get higher framerates but a worse feel.

Had an interesting one recently - after moving from having decent FTTC and just using one NIC on my PC where I'm living now I'm having to use multiple connection types to supplement each other including 4G as well as FTTC and so have added an additional 2x NICs and a USB wireless connection and the DPC latency has increased quite a bit due to the drivers for them - going from a stable sub 20us to a more varied ~50us :(

Yup thats normal but 50us is good unless you mean at idle? Also @humbug @Grim5 said he would test so maybe he will actually be the first lol. I wish more people would actually pay attention to thier systems. It is such a valueable tool to use and measure real system optimization. But very few people seem to care we live in the age of "meh it runs" sadly. :p

Man of Honour
Yup thats normal but 50us is good unless you mean at idle?

Since I installed multiple tp-link drivers (LAN, USB wifi, etc.) it is around 50us always, idle, in game, etc. due to the way they use wdf01000.sys - without I get very low latency but unfortunately in my current circumstances I need the extra connections.

Permabanned
OP
Since I installed multiple tp-link drivers (LAN, USB wifi, etc.) it is around 50us always, idle, in game, etc. due to the way they use wdf01000.sys - without I get very low latency but unfortunately in my current circumstances I need the extra connections.

People on here idle at 80, Personally i want off Z87 as that windows 1903 sent mine from 50 to 130 and i am not sure if that got fixed? A format will be done after Christmas to see if i can go back to 55us max at 4k games but i would upgrade if Zen 3 had killer latency as well. Ive even managed to get my mouse and keyboard running software free as the Razer Viper and K65 poll at 1000hz without it so thats the kind of things that improve it as you already know.

Caporegime
Yup thats normal but 50us is good unless you mean at idle? Also @humbug @Grim5 said he would test so maybe he will actually be the first lol. I wish more people would actually pay attention to thier systems. It is such a valueable tool to use and measure real system optimization. But very few people seem to care we live in the age of "meh it runs" sadly. :p

I'm still on Zen 2, Ryzen 3600 :)

Soldato
Idle wise, just doing some web browsing and streaming some music on Spotify on my 5800x, it seems to fluctuate between 15us - 55us with some blips up into 80+us. But watching it for 5 minutes now it seems by my rough guesstimate to spend most time in the 30-50us range. That is 2x16GB memory. I'll try some gaming...

But cool app, helped flag an issue with a high DPC routine... turns out I had power saving still enabled on my WiFi adapter. Turned it off - problem fixed. And bdservicehost.exe (BitDefender AV) is smashing the hard page file count (4000+)_.... although it has just popped up with a product update so perhaps that is why! :)

Permabanned
OP
Had overwatch open for a few minutes - 99.9% it was between 10-40us occasional jump to 70. Couple of blips seem to have bumped up the max.

4x8gb

pOe4dWz.png

Well that is not that bad i reckon it must be a decent platform then. You could always optimize more mainly disabling resources like bios, And uneeded sata and usb ports and general process disabling. Generally i run with antivirus off and window security apps disabled to get it as low as possible.

I would still like to see more tests done by others though so hopefully a few more chime in and share some numbers.

Associate
I'm not on Zen3 so won't hijack the thread, but thanks for getting me to install this @Rofflay. V different results here:
GXtc54N.png
ndis.sys was the highest DPC for a long while - thanks to VirtualBox I have 23 active network adapters

Permabanned
OP
I'm not on Zen3 so won't hijack the thread, but thanks for getting me to install this @Rofflay. V different results here:
GXtc54N.png
ndis.sys was the highest DPC for a long while - thanks to VirtualBox I have 23 active network adapters

No problem i would not worry on such a complicated setup it is natural lower DPC numbers really only matter in games and music and even 192us will not make a difference at all. It is mainly for min maxing and diagnosing bad drivers. As i said to the above poster in order to get stupidly low numbers aka below 50us requires a clean minimal install and very few programs if any running.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No problemi would not worry on such a complicated setup it is natural lower DPC numbers really only matter in games and music and even 192us will not make a difference at all. It is mainly for min maxing and diagnosing bad drivers. As i said to the above poster in order to get stupidly low numbers aka below 50us requires a clean minimal install and very few programs if any running.

Yeah seeing a bit of spiking (not Ryzen) due to having multiple NIC drivers (and TP-Link drivers don't seem the best for latency though far from the worst) and games installed on my NVME during high storage utilisation which might be a consequence of Windows 7 + Samsung NVME drivers rather than native support.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah seeing a bit of spiking (not Ryzen) due to having multiple NIC drivers (and TP-Link drivers don't seem the best for latency though far from the worst) and games installed on my NVME during high storage utilisation which might be a consequence of Windows 7 + Samsung NVME drivers rather than native support.

Yup it hates everything but a barebones install. I got rid of nearly everything now no NIC, No Antivirus, No real programs installed bar Steam and Firefox and all my bios features turned off apart from two USB ports that i now run software free KB and Mouse on. Really i got rid of everything and still that damm Windows 1903 change leaves me with high dpc. Thats why i want an upgrade so bad i suspect they changed windows timers to benefit newer processors at the expense of older platforms. Theres no way after the time i invested in the above i should have now 130us gaming when before the 1903 changes i had 2-7us idle and 55us in games. Grrrrrr

The fact someone here has 40us on Ryzen makes me want to leap to that platform. Its very good for an untweaked system. Heck i might get 30us on such a platform. :D

Soldato
Yup it hates everything but a barebones install. I got rid of nearly everything now no NIC, No Antivirus, No real programs installed bar Steam and Firefox and all my bios features turned off apart from two USB ports that i now run software free KB and Mouse on. Really i got rid of everything and still that damm Windows 1903 change leaves me with high dpc. Thats why i want an upgrade so bad i suspect they changed windows timers to benefit newer processors at the expense of older platforms. Theres no way after the time i invested in the above i should have now 130us gaming when before the 1903 changes i had 2-7us idle and 55us in games. Grrrrrr

The fact someone here has 40us on Ryzen makes me want to leap to that platform. Its very good for an untweaked system. Heck i might get 30us on such a platform. :D
Why do you need it to be so low out of interest? I'm sure 'competitive gamers' who use voice comms dont notice if they get spikes to 5000us or even more.
Probably just OCD... 10us or less you my family will die sort of thing

Man of Honour
Why do you need it to be so low out of interest? I'm sure 'competitive gamers' who use voice comms dont notice if they get spikes to 5000us or even more.

Maybe not to that extreme but I do notice the difference between a reasonably well tuned for latency system and a average to poor latency setup. It isn't so much the average latency as such or even getting super low latency but the nature of the pattern of latency (a latency histogram illustrates it better) - spiking latency even when the framerate isn't impacted can be felt - one of the reasons I've stuck with my X79 setup as until Zen 3 came along nothing else could really match or beat it when properly tuned (AMD didn't go to the efforts of optimising it in Zen 3 for gaming just for the LOLs).

Permabanned
OP

This is the same as the human eye can only see 24fps or 30fps is fine by me. I noticed i was extremely happy with 55us in games until Microsoft patched windows and i had to upgrade for my 2080ti and somegames feel sluggish on panning i notice WoW most of all feels better on a 360 panning view a bad system will exhibit a hitch.

OCD is a factor as well but isnt wanting the best also OCD then? Why do people tweak thier cars? Why do i want sub 50us? Because i want the lowest snappiest system for competitive games and the system latency is just one part of the chain. A 50us to 1050us spike would add 1ms system latency. Thats nothing to sniff at when i got a 280hz panel and Gsync i already got 11ms max latency on the entire system and i would rather have 11ms than 12ms.

Total lag time = 11ms
240hz-280hz Gsync aka 1 frame buffer 8ms
System 1ms
Mouse and Keyboard at 1000hz 1ms
Monitor 1ms

Associate
This is my first post here so sorry if i write something dumb :p but i heard people say that zen 2 ryzen had higher latency in games compared to intel, especially in games like csgo (tech yes city has a video on it on youtube and it even shows a difference of 10 ms highest frame).
You guys know if this is not the case anymore with the zen 3? especially since i already bought a mobo for new ryzen 5600x since it was on discount. Just waiting for the 5600x to arrive in stock again to buy it

Back
Top Bottom