• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5900x idle temps 55c!!!

Associate
I've got my 5900x installed on my asus Crosshair 8 on a custom watercooling loop with 3 x 360 rads and its idling at 53c to 55c that seems WAY too high to me although this is my first time on ryzen. I ran cinebencg r20 and it peaked at 70c

Soldato
I've got my 5900x installed on my asus Crosshair 8 on a custom watercooling loop with 3 x 360 rads and its idling at 53c to 55c that seems WAY too high to me although this is my first time on ryzen. I ran cinebencg r20 and it peaked at 70c

That does seem a little high for idle, but the peak temps are good still. Ryzen is weird, it doesn't run hot but can temp spike very quickly from the core boost under small bursts of load.

xrs

xrs

Associate
I reduced my vcore to 1.2 and it brought temps down substantially. I suspect that the default vcore is a little too high. Hopefully future bios revisions will deal with the issue.

xrs

xrs

Associate
That's not how it's supposed to work though. You are severely limiting CPU performance at 1.2V.
My cinebench scores were not effected substantially. I dont mind a minor loss in performance. Coupled with the 3080 there was so much heat pumping out into the room.

Soldato
As long as your peak temps are within check you're fine.

7nm Ryzen is a dense package and produces heat in a small area from constant boosting of cores, it's designed to run that way. There have been threads like this over tons of forums, it's not a big deal. It's not running hot from using a ton of power. My 3900x is anywhere between 40-50c at idle on a custom water loop with 2x360 rads, it can depend on what background tasks in windows and other programs are going on too.

Associate
I doubt it's fully idle, I find that even background processes cause intermittent boosted clocks which cause the spikes in temp, the fan speed will always be playing catch up until you have that constant load like cinebench where your temp is pretty good.

I raised my fan curve slightly as it's pretty quiet anyway and that helped a little.

Associate
Cheers guys, I've come from a decade of intel where idle temps sit in early 30's so seeing 53c got me worried
Idle for me on 5900x in a meshify s2 with a H150i 360mm sitting on 42c approx in Ryzen Master.

iCUE reports 29.20c Im guessing thats not the CPU itself though...

Gaming so far max 65c reported via Ryzen Master (3440x1440 2080ti using ACC / FS2020 / AMS2) but its early days and Im still to do a fair few more tests.

Associate
OP
Idle for me on 5900x in a meshify s2 with a H150i 360mm sitting on 42c approx in Ryzen Master.

iCUE reports 29.20c Im guessing thats not the CPU itself though...

Gaming so far max 65c reported via Ryzen Master (3440x1440 2080ti using ACC / FS2020 / AMS2) but its early days and Im still to do a fair few more tests.
My next goal is to learn how to overclock this beast it already boosts to 4950 in single threaded workloads need to workout how this all works as its very different to intel

Associate
With my 3700X it idled at 50C before I dropped the VCORE and ran a few 3D mark benchmarks to see if any performance was lost. Tried a VCORE offset and it brought temps down by about 10-15C

Associate
Mine is idling around 35C, pretty consistently.

Airflow case (500DX), Noctua NH-U14S, Kryonaut.

Are you sure it has good contact over the whole die?

Back
Top Bottom