Paying someone to decorate - rough estimate?

Associate
I'm a bit OCD when painting and decorating are concerned and I find most of my current time off work walking around the house with paint brush and paint just touching the bits and bobs I see, drives my wife crazy.
When we got the extension done etc a good painter and decorator I know charged £130 per day (North East) which doesn't include the paint ect. He`s completed a 8 meters x 4 meters ground floor extension with a 6 meters x 3 meters bedroom too. Completed it all within 5 days and I have to say he has done a great job considering it was all just plastered.

I still haven't paid him and asked him several times how much I owe but he always says hell work the bill out and not desperate for the money. This has been over 3 months now

Soldato
Good start :D
Do you mean I've made a good start with the decorating or it's a good start towards proving your point? :p

I'd love to live in a world where I pay 800 quid a room to decorate, but (even though I make a good living) for me and surely the vast majority of people, that's a luxury rather than the norm?

Tea Drinker
Don
Do you mean I've made a good start with the decorating or it's a good start towards proving your point? :p

I'd love to live in a world where I pay 800 quid a room to decorate, but (even though I make a good living) for me and surely the vast majority of people, that's a luxury rather than the norm?

No, good start on providing the quality you'd expect. The reasoning being that everyone is arguing about cost without stating the quality they expect. Your quality and expectations may be different to mine.

Associate
Most rooms will be a week (5 days.) 2 days prep and 3 days painting. Size of the room doesn't make much difference.

Price range of £600‐ £800.

Soldato
If it's the norm for people to spend 800 quid to get a room painted, I'm just further confused how the population has so much money to spend. I earn well past UK median salary (as does my wife when not on maternity leave) and the concept of it costing 4 grand to get a small 2 bed semi (which is what we own) painted (let alone plastered, carpeted etc.) blows my mind...!

Soldato
If it's the norm for people to spend 800 quid to get a room painted, I'm just further confused how the population has so much money to spend. I earn well past UK median salary (as does my wife when not on maternity leave) and the concept of it costing 4 grand to get a small 2 bed semi (which is what we own) painted (let alone plastered, carpeted etc.) blows my mind...!
Well I guess, since you are on OCUK, that you ***** a considerable amount of dollar on computer bits. I guess average joe spends this every 5 years on a re-decorate.

But yeah, proper adulting is pretty costly, isn't it!

Soldato
4 days for 2 coats of paint lol.

There are these things called orbital Sanders which have been invented which can sand woodwork in a matter of minutes.

The last barbecue I had where I made all my garden furniture out of wood fr scratch everyone was impressed with the quality of the furniture and the paint job of said furniture.

4 days lol. That must be a lot of jock itch to take that long.

As I say, thank the lord you do not do painting & decorating for living, and if you do, god help the poor people who have to live with your work :)

Associate
What the hell are they doing to take 5 days a room. I can prep and do a normal room in a day if it's just the walls and another day if I do the woodwork exc doors.

I'm no painter for sure but just for plain walls I'm not sure I can see the added value in doing a normal DIY job to a pro job.

What is it the other 3 days brings which most people really need?

Associate
Some of the times and costs are pretty steep! If its a period property I sort of get; but 5 days to paint one room for a modernish property?

Personally if you are happy with their quote, I would make sure the quote lists everything they are going to do. The only other tip, regularly inspect or oversee their work. Simply call out imperfections, and check they are doing the work they quoted, make sure its two/three coats, rubbing down, the paint is what you are paying for (new tins) etc.

Also don't overlook the prep on your part, some painters turn up with manky sheets which they are about to throw over your clean carpets err.. nope. Leave an unprotected piece of furniture, it will become a station for tools. Sheets of Correx is a godsend.

Associate
Anyone doubting 5 days would probably be better to just to do the work themselves just like myself and most of the people in this thread.

Thinking 5 days is too long when you want to move the goal posts by just painting the walls is silly. Why get a decorator in just to paint the walls?
I assume the OP wants the following painted:

Ceiling
Walls
Window Cills
Skirting board
Architrave
Door/s

All surfaces cleaned from oil/grease, fly ****, and general muck. Holes filled and gaps/cracks chaulked. Walls and wood work sanded and then all surfaces painted.

Also a day is 7am - 4pm.
Time needs to be allowed for setting up and tidying up at the beginning and end of the day. Nobody likes it if you just down tools at 4pm on the dot and **** off home.

P.S I am not a decorator but I manage a few properties for clients so deal with contractors.

Soldato
People don't understand the costs involved in being a tradesman and often make dumb comments.

If someone is doing a trade for a living they have significant overheads. Van, van insurance, initial tool purchase, frequent tool replacement/maintenance, liability insurances, time spent doing estimates, time spent doing invoices, time spent travelling to "price jobs" they might not get, potential workshop rent if they maybe do cabinets etc.

I wouldn't work for less than £160 a day so I don't feel too offended that trades don't either.

Soldato
Well I guess, since you are on OCUK, that you ***** a considerable amount of dollar on computer bits. I guess average joe spends this every 5 years on a re-decorate.

But yeah, proper adulting is pretty costly, isn't it!
I'm 30 and have spent less than 2 rooms worth of decorating on computer bits ever apparently!

Soldato
Most rooms will be a week (5 days.) 2 days prep and 3 days painting. Size of the room doesn't make much difference.

Price range of £600‐ £800.
Madness.

I fitted new skirting board, painted and glossed and gave the walls and ceiling 3 coats all in one day and my living room is 3mx5.

One benefit was that the walls were in very good condition so no prep work on the wall.

Back
Top Bottom