• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vega64 GFX card - screen flashes to black, sometimes flashes green

Soldato
Vega64 GFX Card

A few days ago I had a game alt-tabbed. I think the GFX card overheated because the PC froze and I had to wait about an hour before it would even switch on.

Anyway, since then the GFX card has a few issues.

- It will flash the screen to black for a few seconds. Sometimes once an hour, sometimes a few times in 10 minutes
- It will sometimes flash green. The Screen will still show something but it will flash green and thenreturn to normal.

Are there any health check tool beyond the TRIXX app? This seems to only check fans

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Check your PSU cables going to the GPU and look for a melted plug. Hopefully, you haven't been using an 8pin to 2x 6+2 or 2x8 splitter. Makes sure to check both ends if your PSU is modular. If you are using a splitter cable then stop immediately. The proper way to run a Vega card is 2 individual 8pin to 8 pin cables. Otherwise, you are just begging for trouble, I'm speaking from hard-learned lessons.

Soldato
OP
Check your PSU cables going to the GPU and look for a melted plug. Hopefully, you haven't been using an 8pin to 2x 6+2 or 2x8 splitter. Makes sure to check both ends if your PSU is modular. If you are using a splitter cable then stop immediately. The proper way to run a Vega card is 2 individual 8pin to 8 pin cables. Otherwise, you are just begging for trouble, I'm speaking from hard-learned lessons.

No splitter, all direct. Will look for any melting

Associate
Flashing to black and back its some sort of reset. most liklely power interuption, on one of power rails. it would be a bitch to diagnose, untill it fails. investigate power supply. maybe remove the card clean pci-e pins. and investigate power supply pins.

Soldato
OP
Get afterburner or hardware info to check what temps the vega card is running at

AMD command centre has me at

35c idle
68c in COD Warzone

One thing I forgot to mention is I had to remove one of the fans of my card. It kept going to max speed even when doing nothing. Doesn't deem to have affected the speeds to much and I had it like this for some months

I'm starting to think it may be more. Getting a lot of mouse lag and general lag even in light use (mouse skipping, all games just feel different)

Soldato
OP
Flashing to black and back its some sort of reset. most liklely power interuption, on one of power rails. it would be a bitch to diagnose, untill it fails. investigate power supply. maybe remove the card clean pci-e pins. and investigate power supply pins.

This may explain the big blackout where I couldn't start the PC, pretty much had to remove all components and then magically it would power on.

Man of Honour
What make and model is the psu and how are you powering the gpu from it? One cable that has a pair of daisy chained connectors or two seperate pci-e cables? Vega64 is very power hungry and problems have been solved by switching from a daisy chained cable to seperate cables.

Soldato
OP
I just turned on my PC today and it was the worst it has ever been (no load). Been going black every 20 seconds or so, flashing green to start with.

My spec

- Asus Z170-A Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
- Intel Core i5-6600K 3.9GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail - STOCK. Corsair closed loop watercooler.
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B32
- Samsung PM961 Polaris 128GB M.2-2880 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe Solid State Drive
- Sapphire AMD RX480 Nitro+ 8 GB GDDR5 Memory Polaris FinFET DX 12 Vulkan FreeSync PCI-Express Graphics Card
- EVGA SuperNova G2 750W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply
- Fusion IO PCIe Card 1TB
- 2 x Disk Drives
- 1 x SSD
- Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4K

Soldato
OP
What make and model is the psu and how are you powering the gpu from it? One cable that has a pair of daisy chained connectors or two seperate pci-e cables? Vega64 is very power hungry and problems have been solved by switching from a daisy chained cable to seperate cables.

Direct, separate cables

Soldato
i used to get this on my nitro, i used DDU and bought a new decent hdmi cable as well, so not 100% which one solved it, incidently i have only 2 fans as broke the middle and find it runs cooler and can hit higher frequencies strangely

Soldato
Nope, none. Although i'd love it if AMD CC had an easy roll back feature, seems you have to sacrifice a bull to mars to roll things back. Nightmare
You'd be best off just purging everything with DDU. That way you can have a completely fresh driver install and decisively rule out a software issue if the problem persists. Beyond that, I'd try underclocking the HBM2 and see if that does anything to alleviate things, as graphical glitches are often a sign of failing VRAM. And finally, have you tried a different HDMI/DP cable and/or monitor, just to make sure that's not the problem?

Soldato
OP
I've got a dead Vega64 on my shelf which did this, now no GPU output at all, lights up and fans turn on, just no powerlights or screen. :(

Fingers crossed for you.

is it a Sapphire Nitro by any chance? Want to sell me a fan :)

I have one broken and Sapphire doesn't do replacements

Soldato
OP
dont you find it runs better without it, mine does strangely

Yeah but i'm still conscious i'm missing one of the big fans. I'm not a massive GFX guy so I don't tell when things are good or not, but I know missing a fan can't be good - that's a whole chunk of heatsink not being cooled well.

Soldato
Yeah but i'm still conscious i'm missing one of the big fans. I'm not a massive GFX guy so I don't tell when things are good or not, but I know missing a fan can't be good - that's a whole chunk of heatsink not being cooled well.
ah, im only missing the little one, replacing large one makes sense i guess

Back
Top Bottom