Registering an internal servers DNS name with external registrar

Soldato
Quick question....I'm sure it's frowned upon to register a servers real name with an external public body.

am I right?

My third line engineer wants to do it

Last edited:
Associate
The norm would be the other way round wouldn't it? Register a public name with public DNS, and add that to the machine.

Why would you want to publicize anything about internal machine names, IPs or whatever on the internet?

Soldato
OP
We have a small collection of workgroup PCs on a vlan which gives them internet access only. Nothing on the lan. They use google dns.
The guys need to get those machines to talk to a server also on that vlan. It's hardcoded to the server name, so when they go to server1.contoso.com they are unable to resolve it.

The engineer says register it with our DNS hosting company, whereas I say edit the local host file. Think he just can't be arsed to go around all the machines.

I say small, it's about 120 machines.

Soldato
Most DNS providers wont even let you create records against non-routable addresses to fair - You mention the machines arent on a domain, but if the default local admin password is the same, you could write small batch file to edit the host file on them all, it'd take 10 mins tops to do it all.

Back
Top Bottom