• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3090 Worth it Over the 3080??

Permabanned
Sarge, we get it. You love your 3080.

But you like calling a spade a spade, the 3090 is a better card. And none of the above owners regret getting one, they have a use case for doing so and in the case of those who are mining with them, aren't paying 1400 quid if they're mining cash back.

Your card is great, it's better than mine. But if you're mining 600 quid back because you bought a 3090, you're getting equal if not better value over the lifetime of the card than paying 730 quid for a 3080 and not mining with it. Because cash aside, the 3090 will stay relevant for longer.

They could equally mine with at 3070 or 3080 , so your point is invalid. They would even get higher returns if they did and tbh, I reckon the people on here go on OcUk to buy cards to game. All this mining talk is pointless. It still stands the 3090 is poor vfm in comparison with performance out of the 3080 v 3090 watch the reviews. It is supposed to be the more powerful card but by 7% to 18% and costs more than double the price of a 3080. Even all the reviewers point this out and call a spade a spade.

How that is trolling only the OP knows. Read the title of the thread "3090 Worth it Over the 3080??". That's what we are posting about.;)

Permabanned
Glad to hear your enjoying gaming on your setup.

Don't for get I paid like £730 for my 3080 and play RDR2 full maxed out settings. I lock most of my games to 60fps all max out settings as it is too fast above that. So it is buttery smooth with G Sync on as well.

I guess your two 3090s cost you in excess of £3000 ?

"Too fast above that"

I'll store that one next to your Nvidia are turning down your settings at 4k 120fps as more nonsense. A card is worth whatever you think its worth. I had a 3080, sold it and bought a 3090. It comes down to disposable income at the end of the day. I wanted the best and can afford it so 5% or 55% I would rather have the 3090. Even 10% its meant Cyberpunk with ultra RT and quality DLSS has gone form unplayable to playable so its all about context.

Associate
They could equally mine with at 3070 or 3080 , so your point is invalid. They would even get higher returns if they did and tbh, I reckon the people on here go on OcUk to buy cards to game. All this mining talk is pointless. It still stands the 3090 is poor vfm in comparison with performance out of the 3080 v 3090 watch the reviews. It is supposed to be the more powerful card but by 7% to 18% and costs more than double the price of a 3080. Even all the reviewers point this out and call a spade a spade.

How that is trolling only the OP knows. Read the title of the thread "3090 Worth it Over the 3080??". That's what we are posting about.;)

I probably didn't fully explain what I mean Sarge. Aside from the mining aspect, to those people who have commented here who bought that card, it is value for money because they have the use case, they have the funds and wouldn't miss those funds and they want the very best.

It's all relative. To you, your 3080 is the best value for money. That'd be the case for me too were I to buy one, I'm not in the market for a 3090. But for those other users, the 3090 represents the best value for their money.

Permabanned
I probably didn't fully explain what I mean Sarge. Aside from the mining aspect, to those people who have commented here who bought that card, it is value for money because they have the use case, they have the funds and wouldn't miss those funds and they want the very best.

It's all relative. To you, your 3080 is the best value for money. That'd be the case for me too were I to buy one, I'm not in the market for a 3090. But for those other users, the 3090 represents the best value for their money.

Exactly. If money isnt an issue to you (dont drink or smoke) then its not about value for money. Its what suits you and what you think is the best purchase FOR YOU. If I hadnt been able to pull out that much money then the 3080 would have been the card I bought and that would have been fine as well.

Associate

I'm not sure what you're arguing, because it doesn't seem to be any of the points made in this thread, in fact you seem to be deliberately glazing over the good points made.

No one is saying the 3090 is good value or that you can't mine with any other cards.

The very good points raised are that for those with the budget, a 3090 is a good alternative to resorting to scalped cards. Any point saying they should have bought a 3080 instead is null and void if most cannot buy a 3080 for sensible money.

So for those that need every last ounce of performance and those that couldn't otherwise get a 3080, then the 3090 is great.

I'm pleased for you that you got a 3080 and enjoy it, though. Well done.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yeah we believe £600 profit was mined lol, I can smell the bs from here.

200.gif

I'm not sure what you're arguing, because it doesn't seem to be any of the points made in this thread, in fact you seem to be deliberately glazing over the good points made.

Troll is troll.

Sarge, we get it. You love your 3080.

But you like calling a spade a spade, the 3090 is a better card. And none of the above owners regret getting one, they have a use case for doing so and in the case of those who are mining with them, aren't paying 1400 quid if they're mining cash back.

Your card is great, it's better than mine. But if you're mining 600 quid back because you bought a 3090, you're getting equal if not better value over the lifetime of the card than paying 730 quid for a 3080 and not mining with it. Because cash aside, the 3090 will stay relevant for longer.

This guy has common sense. Winner.

Permabanned
Everything is bad value right now. It's like choosing silver tipped over copper tipper bullets. Either are going to sting like heck right now so does it matter?

Soldato

No one is saying the 3090 is good value or that you can't mine with any other cards.

The very good points raised are that for those with the budget, a 3090 is a good alternative to resorting to scalped cards. Any point saying they should have bought a 3080 instead is null and void if most cannot buy a 3080 for sensible money.

So for those that need every last ounce of performance and those that couldn't otherwise get a 3080, then the 3090 is great.

Precisely

aure people should have bought 3080 at msrp 6 months ago, and I should have more more Tesla and AMD and Nvidia and GME stock 6 months ago but we didn't and no point crying about it now

The reality today is 3090 in store looks a good deal compared to scalped 3080 cards at msrp+1000

Associate
Just checked the prices. Over 25% increase from launch day:D.
I know it's more about availability than rm cost increase but wow..
Mind you the increase in the cost of base oils is nearly 50%.

Perhaps the gcard production line uses lots of oil:p:p

Permabanned

I would never recommend scapled cards and sorry to anyone pressured to pay over the odds for a card due to scapling. The situation is grim and if I had a spare card I would donate it at retail at most tbh. The 3090 is a powerfully GPU and I hope you enjoy the card if you have one. It is a good card.

Just , when I review a product , I always consider price as part of my recommendation of the product. So if I saw say a 1060 laptop on sale for £5k. I would firstly not recommend it because of the price. Not sure why "if money is no object" is relevant in a review. Price and performance are key features of tech parts.

Soldato
"Too fast above that"

I'll store that one next to your Nvidia are turning down your settings at 4k 120fps as more nonsense. A card is worth whatever you think its worth. I had a 3080, sold it and bought a 3090. It comes down to disposable income at the end of the day. I wanted the best and can afford it so 5% or 55% I would rather have the 3090. Even 10% its meant Cyberpunk with ultra RT and quality DLSS has gone form unplayable to playable so its all about context.
I’m sorry but if a 3080 can’t play a game then a 3090 most definitely can’t! It’s not the next card up like the 2080ti was to the 2080, it’s fractionally better performance with a lot more vram. If 38 fps isn’t good enough then 42 fps won’t be either.

Far too much purchase justification going on in this thread, I get that people buy a 3090 because they can’t get hold of a 3080 and a tiny few actually need the extra vram but let’s be honest if there wasn’t a squeeze on the gpu market we would all be rocking £649 3080’s.

Associate
I would never recommend scapled cards and sorry to anyone pressured to pay over the odds for a card due to scapling. The situation is grim and if I had a spare card I would donate it at retail at most tbh. The 3090 is a powerfully GPU and I hope you enjoy the card if you have one. It is a good card.

Just , when I review a product , I always consider price as part of my recommendation of the product. So if I saw say a 1060 laptop on sale for £5k. I would firstly not recommend it because of the price. Not sure why "if money is no object" is relevant in a review. Price and performance are key features of tech parts.

The thing is, if the 3090 came out at £1399 in isolation next to the 2080ti, it'd look like the bargain of the century.

Your assessment of the value proposition of the 3090 depends heavily on a £649 3080, which is just impossibly rare at the moment. Despite that, your argument still seemed to be repeatedly bashing the value of the 3090 despite no one arguing to the contrary.

I think some people have little choice but to resort to scalped cards. With a fresh triple monitor sim rig build, my choice was not playing what I wanted to play on it and waiting for who knows how long for this to blow over or spend out on the 3090 at RRP when it popped up.

As I write this, a popular online retailer added a 3070 for £899 - I opened it as soon as the stock alert came in and hit 'Add to Basket' just to see if I could and it failed!

Soldato
I’m sorry but if a 3080 can’t play a game then a 3090 most definitely can’t! It’s not the next card up like the 2080ti was to the 2080, it’s fractionally better performance with a lot more vram. If 38 fps isn’t good enough then 42 fps won’t be either.

Far too much purchase justification going on in this thread, I get that people buy a 3090 because they can’t get hold of a 3080 and a tiny few actually need the extra vram but let’s be honest if there wasn’t a squeeze on the gpu market we would all be rocking £649 3080’s.

This x10.

And I precisely bought a 3090fe at msrp as I couldn’t get hold of any 3080 cards.

p.s. to add spice to the thread though, the ‘stingy, cutting it fine’ 10GB on 3080 did bother me, particularly as I was coming from a 1080ti with 11GB ;)

But, at the end of the day, a 3080 at £649 is fantastic really. One of the best price to performance releases for a long while. A heavily overpriced and scalped 3080 smells of dog **** though.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

We have said this before so you are regurgitating it like its a new observation. 3080s are the hardest of the 30 series to get. Most of us weighed up the problem and took it on the chin. Maybe a small number actually thought the price of the 3090 was not an issue for them.. however like you can now see there are two items to factor in:
1) prices of 30 series cards are creeping up
2) if your mining with your card your offsetting the outlay significatly while the value of crypto is at ATHs

Your idea of purchase justification is different to others. *********** like Sarge was just trolling adding no content. Surprised mods aren't all over it.

Your assessment of the value proposition of the 3090 depends heavily on a £649 3080, which is just impossibly rare at the moment. Despite that, your argument still seemed to be repeatedly bashing the value of the 3090 despite no one arguing to the contrary.

Yep. People are paying way north of £649 for 3080s. You wont catch them arguing here.

Associate

I would've loved to buy a 3080 for £900 let alone £649. I ended up buying a 3090 for £1700. That was in December and I took the plunge because I had the card in the basket and didn't fancy spending my Christmas holiday staring at discord alerts. I've still stayed on the discords and tried getting a 3080 when anything shows up, to help out a friend who's been trying to get one. But after months, still no luck. Now looking at prices, waiting to buy a 3080 would end up costing me not much less than what I paid for my 3090, and that's assuming I can beat the bots to actually make the purchase, which I can't, so the asking price is purely academic. And in the time since, I've enjoyed playing games my previous card couldn't. It's not all about money. Gaming is a hobby of mine and sometimes, these hobbies get expensive. It was worth it for me to be able to enjoy my holiday, after what last year was like. I had the disposable income to buy it, and its availability made it value for money for me. It doesn't matter what cards are advertised at, if you can't buy them. And it doesn't matter what someone else managed to pay, if I don't have the same opportunity.

So in short, the question is a fallacy. There's no point asking if a 3090 was worth it over a 3080, if it wasn't possible to get a 3080 in the first place! What I paid for my 3090 was worth it to me, regardless of what a 3080 may or may not cost.

Last edited:
Associate
It is worth it for those who it is worth it. If I had the money would I have bought a 3090? Yes! I got a 3080 as I can’t afford, at the time £1700 for a 3090. My 3080 cost £900. For my gaming needs, mostly 4K at Max settings all the games I currently play, play perfectly at between 60-120fos. Future wise mostly I would have to drop the settings to stay at 4K or drop down to 1440p which is no issue for me.

Associate
It is worth it for those who it is worth it. If I had the money would I have bought a 3090? Yes! I got a 3080 as I can’t afford, at the time £1700 for a 3090. My 3080 cost £900. For my gaming needs, mostly 4K at Max settings all the games I currently play, play perfectly at between 60-120fos. Future wise mostly I would have to drop the settings to stay at 4K or drop down to 1440p which is no issue for me.

Performance wise I don't think there's much in it, between the 3080 and 3090. Perhaps some games will require more VRAM, but by the time those come out, we'll be complaining about the price and lack-of-availability of 5000 series cards :D I'd have rather paid £900 for a 3080, but alas, no luck. I have a 1440p ultrawide at 120Hz, and prefer to drop settings to hit the monitor refresh rate as much as possible. 1080 wasn't cutting it, so an upgrade was much needed.

Back
Top Bottom