Disc Media

Associate
Yes, the film plays back at the full bit rate of whatever it would've been on the original disk.

My Shield is connected to my router directly and so is the PC that the server runs on. Both on gigabit LAN.

In the Plex app settings on the Shield, playback for audio and video is set to original. This stops the PC doing any transcoding, which could be a potential bottleneck to playback.

The other potential bottleneck is writing to the drive with the Blu-ray rip on at the same time you are reading from it.

In my experience these are the only two things that cause buffering during playback on an Nvidia Shield.

Are you using a USB hard drive to store the film's? That may also limit the read speed, because of write cache. This allows the drive to be disconnected without loosing data. I found that disabling this increased the transfer speeds from around 40mbs to over 100.

Hi,

I had it connected PC - Gigabit switch, Gigabit switch - Xbox One S.

Both in the same room, just as a test. I have an ethernet cable from downstairs router to upstairs bedroom into gigabit switch. From switch it goes to TV,PC,Xbox One S

Films are on an internal 3TB HDD. Nothing else was happening on the PC at the point of streaming to Xbox via Plex.

As you mentioned I had all the settings at original to keep it all native.

Maybe I should try again, this was in the very early days of UHD discs being dumped. I got an Xbox One S for the sole reason of UHD playback in fact haha.

Cheers,
Sean

Associate
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I would have thought a gigabit network link would have been fine, that's ~110MB and IIRC BD 1080 is about 40MB max, but 4k can go to 120MB or so, in which case a 1gbit network switch should either be fine, or not and swapping to 2.5gb wouldn't make a difference because the weak link would be the port on the One S as that's still only 1gb.

Oh no sorry, I meant 2.5gb all around. Like a little media PC with a 2.5GB card in it.

Man of Honour
Hi,

I had it connected PC - Gigabit switch, Gigabit switch - Xbox One S.

Both in the same room, just as a test. I have an ethernet cable from downstairs router to upstairs bedroom into gigabit switch. From switch it goes to TV,PC,Xbox One S

Films are on an internal 3TB HDD. Nothing else was happening on the PC at the point of streaming to Xbox via Plex.

As you mentioned I had all the settings at original to keep it all native.

Maybe I should try again, this was in the very early days of UHD discs being dumped. I got an Xbox One S for the sole reason of UHD playback in fact haha.

Cheers,
Sean

Maybe the Xbox is the problem.

I've tried many 4k capable streaming devices, in the past, to play UHD Blu-ray rips and they all had issues or comprises. The only device I've had that just works is the Nvidia Shield running Plex.

Associate
Records and books, everything else is gone.

Yep, exactly.

With UHD playback, you need such good hardware to direct play, such large drives to store it on and such a good connection between the two that I just don't find it worth it. And I'm sure that most people who do keep full BD rips then watch it through the likes of an Amazon stick or similar, thus relying on their server to transcode on the fly, entirely nullifying the whole point of keeping a full rip in the first place. They may as well just store the transcode and be done with it.

Soldato
had a collection of VHS in the roof space. got them down and re-watched them all. was a walk down memory lane.
they all got given away or dumped after that. they were just gathering dust. (i now just need to convince my other half to get rid of hers (i hate clutter :p))
i never really bought a lot of DVDs / Bluray, so i have a very small collection that i'll keep for now as they are not taking up space. again though, they are just gathering dust for the most part
i converted this year to digital only for my music and going well so far (NAS with music and film, PLEX)
i just don't get the same pleasure from sitting looking at a CD box and booklet.
i suppose vinyl is the way to go for more of an experience but i've no intention of getting a turntable.
with collections the excitement always came with the chase anyway, when you finally have it in your hands the mystery is gone and you move on to thinking about the next buy

Associate
I like to purchase disks because of some films which are quite rare or simply don't exist via streaming services. Also I love mooching through shelves and browsing cover/box art.

I recently purchased Mad Men, Saul and Fargo collections on DVD/Blu-ray - I really like having something material I can pick up and browse (like music or books). I keep my collection in check so it does not become clutter. Less popular films are dropped off at charity shops.

Another film I recently purchased was Kuffs (1992) Christian Slater - Had to purchase a Blu-ray from Amazon US a it was never released in the UK. This is a relatively unheard of film (even at the time). A film from my youth.

A DVD set I will never bin is the unadulterated copies of Star Wars, Empire and Return of the Jedi Special Edition DVD's from 2006. Released as part of the 30th anniversary of A New Hope; these DVD's included the original films warts and all. These were the versions I remember as a kid so they are special to me. I don't think they exist via digital media (unless you go for the Harmy's Despecialized route).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom