Wheel alignment after minor accident

Associate
"Anchor vehicle on straightening rig" suggests it's been on a jig due to damage being structural. In which case I would've expected it to be written off by insurance. How old is this car?

Soldato
OP
September 17 (67 plate). I should add, I recalled the wording incorrectly...it was "Anchor vehicle on straightening system" , not "jig" specifically. It's a vague description which could mean anything. Personally, I'm not too worried about structural chassis damage. I don't think it was hit that hard - for context, the car didn't even budge an inch when it was hit. T, but the angle meant that he struck the wheel before the bumper. Had he hit the rear bumper square, I doubt we'd have been looking at more than a replacement bumper and the paint.

Sounds like a bit of a **** up all round tbh. I'd still be taking that to someone competent to check. And I'd be wanting a copy of the "independent report" - which I bet hasn't been done.

I would take it to Kia for a check as you suggest, the other garage and insurance company shouldn't be able to argue with any findings. If the repair garage missed such a visible defect what else did they miss?

Yup. We will probably do this. We actually already spoke to Kia after we returned it the first time, explained the situation and said that although we had no choice but to let them attempt to rectify, we would like to know how much Kia would charge to inspect. They quoted £60, which is probably half an hour of ramp time to have some just look it over, much like they do at the service. Even if we can't push that cost back to the insurance company, it's still worth it for peace of mind.

Here's the thing with insurance companies, as it it was a non-fault claim you are well within your rights to decide where the car goes for repair and you should always choose main dealer. However, they have a clause that says if you do choose a main dealer (or someone not on their books) then you can't have a courtesy car as well. What kind of crap is that? Somebody in the insurance industry may be able to correct me but don't these repair garages bid for a contract with the insurance companies? So they low-ball their costs to win the contract and then struggle to keep each repair expense down to contracted levels.

Yes, that's the thing. In order to be able to get a courtesy car (which we needed) then the only choice was to let them take it to their approved repairer. Personally, I wasn't actually too bothered about this initially - as long as they use OEM parts, I figured that the damage would be fairly academic for any half competent garage to fix.
Funnily enough though, when we phoned the courtesy car company to sort out extending the loan, in chatting to the guy on the phone, my girlfriend mentioned the name of the garage, and he actually gave an audible sigh. Said he'd had dealings with them before (I gather it's like a large chain that runs franchises of repair centres) and every time, there's been some sort of trouble. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Associate
I would take it to Kia for a check as you suggest, the other garage and insurance company shouldn't be able to argue with any findings. If the repair garage missed such a visible defect what else did they miss?

Here's the thing with insurance companies, as it it was a non-fault claim you are well within your rights to decide where the car goes for repair and you should always choose main dealer. However, they have a clause that says if you do choose a main dealer (or someone not on their books) then you can't have a courtesy car as well. What kind of crap is that? Somebody in the insurance industry may be able to correct me but don't these repair garages bid for a contract with the insurance companies? So they low-ball their costs to win the contract and then struggle to keep each repair expense down to contracted levels.

yeap...
when i was in business we got tied to doing work with a few dealers for minor rectification work, ie the vehicle delivered back and small niggles (hmm) found by customers , rather than go to the expense of courtesy vehicles and fetching them back we were dispatched to check report and if possible rectify.

always thought of ourselves as the bomb squad hehe we had to defuse the situation between the customer and the repairer before it got too nasty:)

when i say minor snags ....fitted new headlights... ok customer gets it back first night out no lights ..must be a wiring or fuse fault out we go .

gets there and ohh lights dont work because no bulbs fitted into new units???. the number of times we had to report failings on main dealer vehicle checks.

the one main accident repair centre we did wasnt perfect, but always did a alignment check before dispatch, and had a fleet of over 60 courtesy vehicles. Unfortunatly as they kept having to get lower on labour quotes and because insurance companies were taking longer to pay (meant they had to use a invoice management company to pay them quicker) went bust , but unlike some companies they still manage to get all there supply companies payed.

you would be surprised how much slips out of repairers without checks.

i would as said get kia to check it for piece of mind.

Soldato
Sounds like they have bodged it and just pulled the wheel back to the middle on a jig. I wouldn't be happy with that tbh.
That was how I read it but I thought that surely couldn't be the case.

While it is a pain I'd get a second opinion on the state of play with the suspension components and, if it has been on a jig, the state of any structural points of the chassis (suspension mounts etc.).

Back
Top Bottom