Personal defibrillators

Soldato
Has anyone considered getting one or already have one for personal/family use?

They’re not exactly cheap but it doesn’t seem like the worst purchase one could make.

I spend a bit of time out in the sticks and I don’t live very close to a hospital. I’ve considered getting neighbours to chip in and have one as a shared device but that would mean not having access away from home.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Nah it's a scam. The people who sell defibs have tricked tons of places into having defibs, yet nobody knows where they are or how to use them so it's pointless.

Soldato
Nah it's a scam. The people who sell defibs have tricked tons of places into having defibs, yet nobody knows where they are or how to use them so it's pointless.
Nearest one is bolted to bulkhead of my van and I'm fully trained in how to use it...

But to be honest if you can read and follow basic written and spoken instructions you should be able to use the device with no issues.

Commissario
One outside the local multi story, one outside the local main post office, one outside the local firestation (from memory).

IIRC when you ring 999 with a suspected heart attack they can and do tell you if there is one near your location so that there is a chance someone can run and get it.
And as has been said, modern ones are pretty much foolproof as they tell you how to use them, and do the monitoring and decisions on when to shock and how much to use.

Soldato
I have one

I design the things, they are pretty easy to use if you can follow some basic pictures and understand spoken instuctions

Soldato
OP
I have one

I design the things, they are pretty easy to use if you can follow some basic pictures and understand spoken instuctions
Do you know anything about the ideal time required to collect and start using a defib? Earlier today I was reading that it’s 100m or 1min brisk walk which means my ‘local’ one is out of that ideal range and also means getting one when out with groups in the lakes is even more important.

Soldato
it is time, sooner you get one on patient the better, the first couple of mins increases the chance to successful outcome considerably

Associate
Has anyone considered getting one or already have one for personal/family use?

They’re not exactly the cheap but it doesn’t seem like the worst purchase one could make.

I spend a bit of time out in the sticks and I don’t live very close to a hospital. I’ve considered getting neighbours to chip in and have one as a shared device but that would mean not having access away from home.

Excellent post!!! Iv been thinking the exact same and was thinking of asking this same question. Snap!

We don’t have one anywhere near our house or at work.

My brain tells me this is a sensible investment. But they are so expensive! And probably need recalibrating annually or something!

Caporegime
Soldato
You don't need to be trained to use defibs, its all voice commands - that's the whole point.
Please share that knowledge.

Yes you can get awareness training, but its as easy as watching a video online

Caporegime
Excellent post!!! Iv been thinking the exact same and was thinking of asking this same question. Snap!

We don’t have one anywhere near our house or at work.

My brain tells me this is a sensible investment. But they are so expensive! And probably need recalibrating annually or something!

The issue is that a community defib only makes sense when serving a large population.

On an individual level the having a shockable cardiac arrest you'd be more likely to survive with the use of your personal is very rare. I think there's better avenues to spend money on your health than a personal defib.

Associate
The issue is that a community defib only makes sense when serving a large population.

On an individual level the having a shockable cardiac arrest you'd be more likely to survive with the use of your personal is very rare. I think there's better avenues to spend money on your health than a personal defib.

Such as?

Caporegime

Gym membership. Basic life support training for family. Regular health checks. Dietitian.

There's quite a lot of low hanging fruit. A personal defib doesn't seem a prime prospect.

For one to be useful you'd need:

- to have a shockable cardiac arrest with it nearby
- someone to use it in a timely fashion
- for whatever made you have a cardiac arrest to be survivable

It's not a hugely likely series of events.

Back
Top Bottom