Why would I suddenly have to increase memory voltage

Soldato
OP
Did you test just one stick? Test the other for a few hours.

there is a ram testing program that’s a lot faster than memtest but right now I can’t remember the name al have a look on my pc lattter
Is it not conclusive that it's not the ram as the system crashed with just that one stick and after testing it there were no errors?

Permabanned
Is it not conclusive that it's not the ram as the system crashed with just that one stick and after testing it there were no errors?

memtest as been know to miss errors and in some cases need running for over a day.

found the program it’s called testmem5. I’ve had a system 18hr clear with memtest then fail in 2mins of testmem5.

put the system back together and run a few loops of that with both sticks in then one at a time

Soldato
OP
Installed some different ram and got the crash. Installed Windows from a separate usb drive to a separate SSD and got the crash during the setup.

Looks like it's the CPU to me

Associate
I had an X99 cpu that had a symptom where my PC wouldn't boot with the ram at stock settings (it used to be able to, but then it couldn't). Enabling XMP allowed it to boot. Tried different ram and the same happened, tried memtest and it came up clear. Eventually though the system just wouldn't boot at all, xmp on or off it didn't matter. RMA'd the CPU and everything worked fine again with the new one, pretty sure the memory controller had just packed in on it.

One other thing which I noticed very early on when those symptoms started was that I couldn't boot any other OS than Windows, even with XMP on. For instance any linux live USB would just hang the system. If you are going to RMA your CPU with intel DO NOT tell them that you've had XMP enabled. They count it as out of spec overclocking and there's been stories of them voiding warranties because of it.

Soldato
OP
I had an X99 cpu that had a symptom where my PC wouldn't boot with the ram at stock settings (it used to be able to, but then it couldn't). Enabling XMP allowed it to boot. Tried different ram and the same happened, tried memtest and it came up clear. Eventually though the system just wouldn't boot at all, xmp on or off it didn't matter. RMA'd the CPU and everything worked fine again with the new one, pretty sure the memory controller had just packed in on it.

One other thing which I noticed very early on when those symptoms started was that I couldn't boot any other OS than Windows, even with XMP on. For instance any linux live USB would just hang the system. If you are going to RMA your CPU with intel DO NOT tell them that you've had XMP enabled. They count it as out of spec overclocking and there's been stories of them voiding warranties because of it.
Fair comment. Thanks for the extra info. your situation sounds very similar to mine

Last edited:
Soldato
Could be a PSU that's degrading.

Did you overclock your memory / increase voltage prior? If so you could have degraded memory.

It could also be a memory controller on the CPU?

The only true way to know is using a totally different memory and see if computer still crashes.

EDIT. Just read you installed different RAM and still crashing.

What I would do, I would put the CPU stock settings, then see what happens. If still crashing I would test with another PSU.

Soldato
OP
Could be a PSU that's degrading.

Did you overclock your memory / increase voltage prior? If so you could have degraded memory.

It could also be a memory controller on the CPU?

The only true way to know is using a totally different memory and see if computer still crashes.

EDIT. Just read you installed different RAM and still crashing.

What I would do, I would put the CPU stock settings, then see what happens. If still crashing I would test with another PSU.
PSU has been swapped out and the issue persisted. I have anothwr CPU coming today so we will see what's up hopefully

Soldato
PSU has been swapped out and the issue persisted. I have anothwr CPU coming today so we will see what's up hopefully

Years ago I had a i7 3770k that would crash at random times, swapped lots of items. That CPU would pass all tests, however there was something doggy with the CPU from new. That CPU was purchased from OCUK as a loose OEM item (not retail), and after that point I only buy sealed retail CPU's.

Soldato
OP
Ah yes, i forgot about this thread. I ordered another CPU and that has resolved all issues that i had. No more freezes, crashes, BSOD and programs crashing and failing in the background.

Back
Top Bottom