• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte: "Made in China Products Low Quality"

Caporegime
Gigabyte Delisted from Major Chinese Retailers After Calling “Made in China” Products Low Quality

Gigabyte has found itself in a controversy after calling China-made products inferior, claiming that electronics made in Taiwan (its own products) demand a much higher manufacturing quality instead. This little snippet was picked up by the Communist Youth League of China (CYLC) on Tuesday and then shared on Weibo.

I think i can agree that products made in Taiwan are probably a better quality than those made in China.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/gigab...r-calling-made-in-china-products-low-quality/

Soldato
Aye i agree, china hasn't helped itself in the past decade making cheap copies of things that don't last. Although it has improved, it will be hard for them to rid the stigma that china makes cheap copies.

Associate
Same thing happened with cars in the states - back in the day honda had much better reliability etc and people started to buy more foreign ie honda cars as compared to US made ...

Not that the west doesnt do shady things but china - paint in their toys, hacking and stealing tech and reselling as theirs ... cheap knockoffs etc ... why shouldnt we question their goods?
- note I do have a huawei phone and really like it (mostly) - I would have bought something else but huawei made the phone I wanted so ... mate20x incase you are wondering.

Soldato
Pretty rich, coming from Gigabyte...
Friend of mine went through two Gigabyte mobos the other month. Both had defective components, despite being brand new, and other customers seem to be experiencing the same defects.

Associate
China itself isn't the problem at all. They are more than capable of very high quality craftsmanship and products.

The issue is that a forgein company who wants to manufacture in China is almost certainly doing so because they are cutting costs. If they are cutting costs, then that probably isn't limited to just the labour costs. They'll cheap out of the whole BOM. You now have a low quality product, that just happens to be made in China.

You'll tend to notice that the true Chinese electronic companies actually tend to be pretty good quality. They'll be manufacturing in China too, but because it's their home market and they'll tend to have a little more pride in their products, the overall product will be of a higher standard. They aren't immune to a few shoddy products here and there, but by and large they tend to produce better stuff than their Western counterparts who are largely just abusing a cheap labour market, particually at the lower ends of the market.

Associate
Friend of mine went through two Gigabyte mobos the other month. Both had defective components, despite being brand new, and other customers seem to be experiencing the same defects.

I've been using Gigabyte as my preferred brand in my builds for many years and I've never had an issue with them. Not to say that quality doesn't change over time, but also possible a cargo container has taken a knock during shipping? Still, I had seen other comments on this forum about people wanting to avoid Gigabyte graphics cards... would be a shame if their quality has actually dropped off.

Associate
Huge stereotype, but there is always truth to them...

Anecdotally, I have recently been working with manufacturers from China and Germany, and the Chinese have been superior in EVERY metric. The Chinese don't have the insane ego that the Germans neither!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My view is that China can happily make high quality products, but only if that’s what the design/product specifications insist on.

I think that a lot of Chinese products have been. crap because of the “assumption” that without those detailed specs, that the item will be made to typical western quality standards.

Soldato
I've been using Gigabyte as my preferred brand in my builds for many years and I've never had an issue with them. Not to say that quality doesn't change over time, but also possible a cargo container has taken a knock during shipping? Still, I had seen other comments on this forum about people wanting to avoid Gigabyte graphics cards... would be a shame if their quality has actually dropped off.
I was equally stunned when complaints started showing up as I'd also thought them a pretty decent brand. The 980Ti in my machine right this minute is a Gigabyte one and it's always been one of the best on the market.
But lately I've seen a surge in gripes and issues, which does indeed suggest that their stuff has taken a saddening nose-dive.

Soldato
In the last 2 years I've had 2 kettles and a toaster go up in a bang, All made in china, Not to mention the numerous other things that have simply stopped working.

It's a shame really as China when it puts its mind to it can produce some of the worlds best craftsmen for intricate things like electronic products, Musical instruments etc... but profit won the day sadly and anything made in china has cut so many corners it's now a sphere XD

Huge stereotype, but there is always truth to them...

Anecdotally, I have recently been working with manufacturers from China and Germany, and the Chinese have been superior in EVERY metric. The Chinese don't have the insane ego that the Germans neither!

I got a no name brand external AMP/DAC from China a few months ago, Amazing quality, Expensive but still a very decent price, When the Chinese want to they can build things to extremely high standards.

Caporegime
This is why so many businesses and corporations kowtow to the Chinese Communist Party, respect to Gigabyte for expressing their true opinion but they will likely be hurt more from being excluded from the Chinese market.

We do need more people speaking truth to power though as we're seeing more and more of this sort of "conform or be cancelled" culture expanding here in the west.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is why so many businesses and corporations kowtow to the Chinese Communist Party, respect to Gigabyte for expressing their true opinion but they will likely be hurt more from being excluded from the Chinese market.

We do need more people speaking truth to power though as we're seeing more and more of this sort of "conform or be cancelled" culture expanding here in the west.

Soldato
- note I do have a huawei phone and really like it (mostly) - I would have bought something else but huawei made the phone I wanted so ... mate20x incase you are wondering.

My Huawei P20 is 3 years old and going strong.

Other than the camera is a bit poop, it's great and I have no intention of replacing it.

Caporegime

yeah usb issues and other issues. wouldnt touch there mobos with a barge pole.

V F

V F

Soldato
yeah usb issues and other issues. wouldnt touch there mobos with a barge pole.

Oh, explain. I remember everyone here or nearly everyone always recommended Gigabyte for their motherboards and quality control as well as parts and RMA services. So, if it's not Gigabyte today, who is it?

Back
Top Bottom